CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #411
Matt Bahen

Profile:
Re: Chantal's Workout Log

Shoveling wet, heavy snow...for time!!

I'm a little bit jealous...it was 70F here today...not sure what that is in C...20 maybe? Anyway, definitely did NOT feel like winter.

You get some salad for helping the neighbor out!

Knew you were awesome...now it's just confirmed!
Old 12-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #412
Chantal Brien

Profile:
Active Rest and more shoveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix Clark View Post
Another great article from a CF chick (Melissa Byers) here http://byerscrossfit.blogspot.com/20...it-enough.html (some profanity)

A bit about being competitive and a lot about being inclusive or elitist. Interesting reading.

Chantal - I set up the rings for ring push ups off the chin up bar.
Thanks Alix, I currently have my rings hanging of the bannister the second floor of my stairs and I've been trying to figure out how to do ring pushups without taking a tumble down said stairs... and how to set up a camera so I can finally get a picture in the "got pullup?" t-shirt for Melissa Byers (who's article was a very interesting read BTW. I personally think that you're Crossfitting if you are doing constantly varied functional movements at high intensity (note that lack of the caveat "while cussing like a sailor and shirtless"). However, I personally do swear, if I'm in an environment where it wouldn't be offensive, especially when I can't haul my heavy *** high enough to count a pullup rep (there's nothing worse than almost getting one) or when I miss a lift or when I realize that I'm only halfway through a brutal workout and, while I'm not often in a workout environment where it would be appropriate, I do not object in the slightest to hunky CF guys ripping off their shirts in videos...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Davis View Post
That's a great article... and so true.
You're welcome, it's something I like to read every once in a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycia Alves View Post
Hi,
Thanks for the kind words on my log. Your heavy lift numbers are motivating to me! I gotta start making the drive to a real crossfit facility so I can have someone there to watch my form. Then I'll catch up to you in no time hehe.
to my log Alycia, feel free to stop by anytime. As for the heavy lifts, bring it , I'm always down for some healthy competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bahen View Post
Shoveling wet, heavy snow...for time!!

I'm a little bit jealous...it was 70F here today...not sure what that is in C...20 maybe? Anyway, definitely did NOT feel like winter. snip (won't let me post all the smilies)
I'm a little curious as to why you're jealous, weather network has the apparent temp at 9 degrees F right now and it's supposed to go down to 0 overnight (sidenote - please note the translation of temperatures for my friends south of the border and confer brownie points accordingly (or a Zone-friendly alternative for those of you who want to be really strict) /sidenote), but you're free to come shovel any time you want!

More shoveling and bit of an LSD as active rest today, More than I'd planned on, but no big deal. Tomorrow is unit PT (spin class), should be fun!
Old 12-11-2008, 05:30 AM   #413
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Great article and some fine numbers on your C&J, Chantal. Also, way to tackle Annie with only a handful of consecutive DUs to your credit. I've done 13 in a row, so I put her on the list for later next week. Good to have you back here on a regular basis.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #414
Chantal Brien

Profile:
Squats 5-5-5-5-5

Thanks Patrick!

I was feeling like @ss today (as in woke up and was dizzy and felt like puking), but as we had unit PT this morning, I decided to go to the gym and feel things out (partly because if in order to miss manditory PT I would have to phone the Major and then bike over to the base hospital to get a chit and I'm not so sick that I won't be able to do anything productive in front of a computer all day so that seemed like too much trouble). I felt more human after getting some food down and biking over to the gym. I'd thought we had spin class so I didn't check the WOD prior to leaving the house (just as well, I'd never do Nasty Girls feeling like this) so I decided to work on squating as I really struggle with it (nothing like tackling a goat when you're not feeling great). Warmed up with 45/65/75/95/115

Work sets were 135/135/135 I had been intending to do 5-5-5-5-5, but on the bottom of the 3rd rep on the 3rd set, I lost focus at the bottom and had a hell of a time getting back up. Finished the set, but it wasn't pretty and the dizzy/pukey feeling came back full force, accompanied by weak and sleepy, so I called it a day. I really need to work on these when I'm feeling better...
Old 12-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #415
Mike Bishop

Profile:
Re: Squats 5-5-5-5-5

I appreciate you doing the transition of C to F. I would have hated to have to get out a calculator so I could multiply it by 9/5 and add 32 or something like that.

So how does it feel shoveling your OWN driveway? Shoveling is definitely a workout, because how many of us *****ed about the virtual shoveling WOD a few months back.

Competition is good and healthy. I feel like it inspires everyone to be their best and improve on what they suck at, because no one likes the feeling of being beaten at something.

Again great job on the new PR's for the power clean and jerk. If you can wrap your mind around it, you should be able to clean your power clean PR weight. As you should be able to clean more than you power clean, it is just a mind trick.

Keep up the great work and I love the ribbing that you are getting in the gym. That means that those guys are saying later in small groups, "Damn did you see how much weight Chantal was throwing around today?!!" Guys like chicks that sweat and kick *** in the gym while looking good doing it!!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #416
Jennifer Ellington

Profile:

LOL, maybe it's just me, but work sets of 135# don't seem like a goat. That could be because 135# is my 1RM.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:17 AM   #417
Matt Bahen

Profile:

Work sets of 135lbs is sweet Chantal! Good job of getting after that goat even when you weren't feeling it. Just goes to prove us all right...you are awesome like that!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #418
Chantal Brien

Profile:

Thanks Mike! Shoveling my own driveway still feels pretty cool (so does mowing my OWN lawn actually [not that I'm doing much of that right now]). I know that I should be able to clean more than I can power clean, but the power clean is a less technical move and I'm trying to work on shoving my pride (and a little bit of that competitiveness that we all love) and solidify my technique a little more before throwing more weight around. (I'm actually kindof hoping that I can convince someone to get me some coaching in the oly lifts for Christmas, but we'll see how that goes...)

Thanks Jennifer! but I also weigh a good bit more than you (158.6 this morning) and have what someone else has delicately termed "a substantial posterior chain", hence, I should be able to squat more than my current 1RM and am frusterated that I seem to have such a mental block when I go to do it.

Thanks Matt! I think I need to persue this one when I'm feeling like taking on the world though. I'm pretty sure that half my problem with squats is mental and I think tackling them when I feel good would be better for building confidance.

Had a unit sports day yesterday followed by the troops Christmas dinner. I played soccer and had a blast (and then ate copious amounts of turkey). I'm now on Christmas leave and will be flying back home tomorrow. Decided to take a rest day today as I'm still not feeling great and am doing my best to be healthy for traveling. Wish me luck in finding somewhere CrossFit friendly to work out while I'm home (closest gym is a women's fitness center and a Curves)!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #419
Mike Bishop

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal Brien View Post
Thanks Jennifer! but I also weigh a good bit more than you (158.6 this morning) and have what someone else has delicately termed "a substantial posterior chain",

I think you are trying to describe having some "Junk in the Trunk" as we like to say around here. Also a good time to use this smiley.

Have a great time visiting family and being home for Christmas.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:25 AM   #420
Matt Bahen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal Brien View Post
...snip...and have what someone else has delicately termed "a substantial posterior chain"...snip...

...snip...Wish me luck in finding somewhere CrossFit friendly to work out while I'm home (closest gym is a women's fitness center and a Curves)!
Or what some might call, "Hey! Nice booty!!"

Uh yeah, good luck finding something CF friendly at a Curves! Nothing much CF about that set-up....

Safe travels and have a great Christmas with the family!