CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-22-2008, 12:44 AM   #11
James Besenyei

Profile:
Re: rotator cuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Meyer View Post
I had a small tear of the supraspinatus tenson. It was easily seen on MRI, but when he got in there w/ the scope, he had difficulty isolating it. It's anchored down now, and he debrided the acromion to make more room. I had some popping now that they aren't too concerned about. The sound is alarming, but there's no pain involved. I started therepay about 6 weeks after surgery. Occupational therapy has helped me a lot, and I recommend it. I'm getting along famously now, but I've had big problems w/ trigger points in my rhomboid and trapezius on the affected side. I wore the immobilizer for about 4-6 weeks--mostly when I was sleeping to avoid doing something stupid. Don't try to speed up the schedule; you'll need that recovery time to really be able to "stage a proper comeback" into the CrossFit ranks.
Right on Theresa. You're the second person who has recommended occupational therapy. I shall heed the advice. I have been very careful with the arm. I did not get an immobilizer. My Ortho said a sling was fine. Being patient is the hardest part of this whole ordeal for me. I think there is a good lesson in there. Glad to hear your rehab went well and I hope you find relief for your rhomboid & trapezius problems.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:42 AM   #12
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

It's pretty rare to tear it, more common to strain the ligaments, which never fully "recover". From that point you have to train the muscles to do the job of the ligaments. See a good PT who does a TON of hands-on work, with a *little* exercise work.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #13
James Besenyei

Profile:

Not to be too contrarian, but . . .

According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, rotator cuff tears "are a common source of shoulder pain" and "one study revealed a 34% overall incidence of rotator cuff tears."
(WFS: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00406)