CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 08-26-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
Jennie Yundt

Profile:
Re: A full Murph!

Nice work Bob! Just making it through Murph is an accomplishment!

Switching from assisted pull ups to unassisted will definitely stretch your WOD times out, but that's not something to be ashamed of! It was a hard transition for me...you watch your Fran time progressively get shorter and then BAM! You take away the assitance band and your time creeps back up. Just remember that doing the workout as prescribed is an accomplishment no matter what your time is!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
Bob Guere

Profile:

Thanks everyone... it really does feel like an accomplishment. Here's to more workouts that make me feel like this....
Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #13
Andy Gann

Profile:

Bob,

Just curious - what did/will you do for today's pull ups (if you do the MP WOD)?

I cranked out 10 kipping and then subbed 60 jumping (2-1) for the remaining 30.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #14
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
Bob,

Just curious - what did/will you do for today's pull ups (if you do the MP WOD)?

I cranked out 10 kipping and then subbed 60 jumping (2-1) for the remaining 30.
Yes, I do the MP WOD, just haven't done it yet. We workout in the evenings. I plan on kipping as many as I can, then going to jumping... I don't usually increase the jumping numbers when subbing because I still get great ROM and I only jump as much as I need to assist the pull. But that's me, I'm guilty of over-training in the past and don't want to go there again.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #15
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
I don't usually increase the jumping numbers when subbing because I still get great ROM and I only jump as much as I need to assist the pull
I usually don't either ... but for some completely random and unknown reason - While my group was waiting to start the HSPUs - the trainer at my affiliate instructed the first group, who were struggling with the pull ups, to sub jumping 2 to 1 so I just deicded ... well, why not - tommorow's my day off.

I also subbed a 16 kg KB which, in retrospect, was a good decision because 70 burpees is like the 7th level of h*ll

have fun!!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:53 AM   #16
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
70 burpees is like the 7th level of h*ll

have fun!!
I will have to agree with that. I pulled out my blackberry this morning on the way to work to check the WOD, handed to my wife and said "look at that number next to the burpees.."

She said "there's no way I'm doing 70 burpees..."

I think we'll do them, just yellin' and cryin' the whole way through.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:08 AM   #17
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
She said "there's no way I'm doing 70 burpees..."
I'm sure most of us had the same thought. I know I did.

IMO - burpees are like a gut check. After every little set (5 or 10 or whatever) you feel like you can't do anymore but, after a little rest you can always bang out another set.

Think you can hit sub 20 min?
Old 08-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #18
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
I'm sure most of us had the same thought. I know I did.

IMO - burpees are like a gut check. After every little set (5 or 10 or whatever) you feel like you can't do anymore but, after a little rest you can always bang out another set.

Think you can hit sub 20 min?
Well, my HSPUs will be a variation... I've moved the bar pretty high, almost shoulder high now, and rest my feet there.... so I'm getting close to straight HSPU, but not yet. Sub 20? Hmmmm... don't know? How'd you do? I think I'll be able to keep a good pace until the burbees, like most folks. I've got some DOMS from Murph in the quads, but everything else feels pretty good today. Sub 20, eh? It's a goal I guess...
Old 08-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #19
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Well, my HSPUs will be a variation... I've moved the bar pretty high, almost shoulder high now, and rest my feet there....
Oh, I subbed these too. I guess I failed to mention it b/c the thought of a full HSPU is still inconceivalbe to me. I've never even tried a handstand! I had mine on a 24 inch box. I hardly ever do these (this was the 2nd time in 5 months). Alot harder than I thought. Knocked out 20 .. then 7 .. then 3 - barely!

Quote:
How'd you do?
I finished in 19:38. I was the last of the three in my group (one didn't sub anything) and it was nice having them cheer on my last 10 burpees. I then spent 10 minutes on my back swaying my bent knees from side to side trying to figure out why I continue to do this to myself ... now, 5 hours later, about to break my fast (it's 11:30 ET) I feel incredible and I know exactly why!

Good luck, man! You can do it!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #20
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Forman View Post
Nice work Bob! Just making it through Murph is an accomplishment!

Switching from assisted pull ups to unassisted will definitely stretch your WOD times out, but that's not something to be ashamed of! It was a hard transition for me...you watch your Fran time progressively get shorter and then BAM! You take away the assitance band and your time creeps back up. Just remember that doing the workout as prescribed is an accomplishment no matter what your time is!
Missed your comment, sorry!

Yes, it can be annoying when you remove a sub and the time goes up, but that's more of an accomplishment than a faster time in my book. For instance, today I'll be doing my HSPUs with my feet higher than ever, and I know it's going to kill my shoulders, and my head is going to fill with blood and pop like a pimple, and my time will be slower than if I did them like I used to. However, my shoulders will be stronger for it, which will end my near-stagnant Press strength in the CFT! Bonus!