CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Travis Hall

Profile:

Talking Thumbs down for…

Will Smith’s pullups in 'I Am Legend'

Outside of that, not a bad movie. Worth seeing in theatres if you like the post apocalyptic type narrative. I particularly liked the hunting scenes with the deer and when his dog saves him.

Although, I didn’t quite get how the theme of racism and hate tied into the whole raging mad infected crazy people… I got the impression the filmmakers were trying to make a connection with all the Bob Marley music and Smith’s speech about the ‘virus of music healing people’ and then playing ‘Redemption Song’ at the end. Anyway it was lost on me. Although the song ‘Three Little Birds’ was quite fitting in and of itself.

I did like the nod to ‘Shrek.’ I thought that was a bit clever and it made me smile.

In the end, I would have really liked it if they had named it something else. I’m getting tired of Hollywood taking the names of great literature and applying them to random storylines. At least this time I feel the overall atmosphere of the novella remained- even if the root of the novella was completely ignored….
Old 12-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Tim Donahey

Profile:
Re: Thumbs down for…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Hall View Post
oh god, I thought the same thing. there was no rom!

yeah, we're dorks.

good flick though.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
Nathan Repasky

Profile:

Good, I know now I wasn't the only person thinking his range of motion was horrid. When the movie cut to that scene my face went to .

It was a good movie though, but I feel the direction swayed many times. It just seemed like the writers and crew didn't know in which direction they wanted to take the film in the second half.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

funny the things we notice when we're INTO fitness.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
Travis Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Repasky View Post
It was a good movie though, but I feel the direction swayed many times. It just seemed like the writers and crew didn't know in which direction they wanted to take the film in the second half.
I agree. As far as action and entertainment, I enjoyed it. I always like the survival type themes. But there were definitely parts where it seemed the movie was trying to move towards more in depth points- unfortunately it failed to develop any of these ideas in a recognizable or meaningful way. The whole hatred and racism felt like that to me. Smith’s soliloquy about Bob Marley and peaceful music healing the virus of hate sounded great, but the connection to the actual situations within the movie was pretty weak.

-SPOILERS past this point-

Also, I didn’t like the end. The great thing about the novella was that human civilization ended- Hence the catchy title. This made the story relatively unique in the post apocalyptic genre. The movie just followed the clichéd formula: go off to the last bastion of humanity and restart. Not bad in itself, but nothing special in the genre.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
Travis Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica Carpenter View Post
funny the things we notice when we're INTO fitness.

I wouldn't be able to share anywhere else......
Old 12-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I saw that in the trailer. What's worse, though, is Bionic Woman's one-armed pull-ups in the new series (no, I don't actually watch it, just saw a clip). I guess her super strength is only in half ROM.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:35 AM   #8
Mike Rothschild

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Hall View Post

Outside of that, not a bad movie. Worth seeing in theatres if you like the post apocalyptic type narrative. I particularly liked the hunting scenes with the deer and when his dog saves him.

Although, I didn’t quite get how the theme of racism and hate tied into the whole raging mad infected crazy people… I got the impression the filmmakers were trying to make a connection with all the Bob Marley music and Smith’s speech about the ‘virus of music healing people’ and then playing ‘Redemption Song’ at the end. Anyway it was lost on me. Although the song ‘Three Little Birds’ was quite fitting in and of itself.

I did like the nod to ‘Shrek.’ I thought that was a bit clever and it made me smile.

In the end, I would have really liked it if they had named it something else. I’m getting tired of Hollywood taking the names of great literature and applying them to random storylines. At least this time I feel the overall atmosphere of the novella remained- even if the root of the novella was completely ignored….

hahaha i thought the SAME exact thing when I saw it earlier today. I was half loudly saying in the theater "what the hell? he's not even going down all the way!!"
Old 12-16-2007, 02:30 AM   #9
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

lol, I leaned over to my girlfriend and said "He's not doing full range of motion." She didn't hear me, and said "What?" so I said it louder, and got told to shush by the people behind us. very funny that everyone else noticed that too. I didn't bother to check if he was practicing POSE on the treadmills

All in all I'm one of the few people I know who legitimately enjoyed it. There were lots of holes and inconsistencies, but I think Will Smith is a terrific actor and really carried it well. Seemed like the writing could have been better, but I thought it was a fun movie.

If they had just plugged up a few holes and taken more time to fine-tune the writing/thematic elements, this easily could have been a classic in the survival-horror/apocalypse genre. Too bad

SPOILERS

Was there really any need to bring in the "God Question" with about 5 minutes left in the movie? It seemed like the only attempts at a deeper underlying meaning were made in the last 5 minutes and completely worthless. I guess Will Smith had a clairvoyant daughter who predicted the chick with the butterfly tattoo would show up.

Did they really need to do the zombies in CG? It was like I was watching The Mummy, and there was really no point for it. Also no explanation of how they had super-human strength for no apparent reason. I know plenty of 200+ pound people, who, if running full speed into the side of an SUV, would barely even rock it, much less flip it over

Did the zombies kill people because they needed food? Or were they just "angry" like in 28 Days Later. I wasn't really sure on that. On that note, if 94% of the world died, and the remaining 5.9% turned into "Dark Seekers," leaving 0.1% of humanity still alive/immune to the virus. What in the world were the Dark Seekers eating to survive? Deer I guess...

With an entire city's worth supply of canned foods, I didn't quite understand why he really had to go hunting for deer...

Also thought it was funny how in one scene Will Smith says something like "The zombies have lost all sense of humanity and survival instinct" or something to that degree. In one of the next scenes, we see the zombies:

a.) Pursuing one of their own kind that had been captured
b.) Setting up an incredibly elaborate snare trap
c.) Keeping zombie dogs on leashes and using them to hunt
d.) Tracking

Sorry, that just didn't fly with me. A lot made no sense to me. But man, the "3 Little Birds" and his dog dying damn near made me cry.

With all of that, combined with the poor ROM in the pull-ups, I'd still consider buying it when it came out or seeing it again in the theaters. I think I like Will Smith just that much. And for that dog scene with the Bob Marley... sigh... did I mention I cried during Homeward Bound?
Old 12-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #10
Travis Hall

Profile:

I can't give any rational answers for any of the things you've pointed out except for this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post

With an entire city's worth supply of canned foods, I didn't quite understand why he really had to go hunting for deer...
It's fun.
And deer tastes good.

Also, I nominate the dog, Sam, for an Oscar.