CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Chris Mason

Profile:
For those interested in maximal strength

Watch this thread:

WFS - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...loys-pre-squat
Old 10-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
Re: For those interested in maximal strength

I know that goes back to the west side principle of heavy days and fast light days (w/ resistance or without depending on gear).

It makes a ton of sense when I look back at my best years in my squat. When I weighed 175 or less I had a max squat of 530. I ran track, specialized in the pole vault but also did the 400-200-100-long junk/etc.

I trained plyo and heavy weights. We had our heavy days and our light and fast days.

Some of the reasons I could hit 190lb on my strict press a year ago was how fast I moved it compared to other guys who were "stronger". They slowly locked out while I exploded. I trained fast, lighter weights (caught my chin a couple times) but swore by the speed at which one lifts.

We see that in Olympic guys who explode and are fast. They don't have time to sit there and grind out a weight over head.

My concern is when guys go "hey let's do box jumps after a heavy deadlift day".

Often they don't plan on doing single jumps with stepping down and not going to failure. At this point the risk for injury raises drastically as we have seen multiple times.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
Nic Nakis

Profile:

Quote:
I've done tons of CrossFit workouts pairing squats or deads with box jumps, but made the mistake of doing exactly what you described with a powerlifter friend one day. After heavy squats and deads, we got out the boxes for high reps and I took one of the worst shinners I ever got. Left a big strip of skin on the box... and blood... not cool.

Not a very useful contribution to the thread, I guess, but just be careful guys.

Last edited by Nic Nakis : 10-01-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Plyo series are pretty common in gymnastics for warmups. Jumping up and down or over panel mat stacks or small boxes.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
I know that goes back to the west side principle of heavy days and fast light days (w/ resistance or without depending on gear).

It makes a ton of sense when I look back at my best years in my squat. When I weighed 175 or less I had a max squat of 530. I ran track, specialized in the pole vault but also did the 400-200-100-long junk/etc.

I trained plyo and heavy weights. We had our heavy days and our light and fast days.

Some of the reasons I could hit 190lb on my strict press a year ago was how fast I moved it compared to other guys who were "stronger". They slowly locked out while I exploded. I trained fast, lighter weights (caught my chin a couple times) but swore by the speed at which one lifts.

We see that in Olympic guys who explode and are fast. They don't have time to sit there and grind out a weight over head.

Often they don't plan on doing single jumps with stepping down and not going to failure. At this point the risk for injury raises drastically as we have seen multiple times.
Keep in mind that Olympic lifting isn't really explosive per se. Weightlifting is strength speed, i.e. heavy loads moved quickly. True explosive strength movements are punches, jumps, grappling throws etc.

Just semantics, but since things get to mixed and matched I think it is important to clarify.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Keep in mind that Olympic lifting isn't really explosive per se. Weightlifting is strength speed, i.e. heavy loads moved quickly. True explosive strength movements are punches, jumps, grappling throws etc.

Just semantics, but since things get to mixed and matched I think it is important to clarify.
True

I had a judo competition where I won the best throw award for that competition.

The crazy thing about it was at first I thought I had lost the match.

I went in for a right shoulder throw and the guy blocked it and immediately went for a left. The next thing I heard was "ipon" and realized I was on my back. After another second or two I realized there was someone underneath me.

One of the guys at the competition was recording via VHS and showed it to us. Turns out when he blocked and I countered the block that between my throw, his center of gravity and the explosiveness of it we did a 360 in the air before I landed on top of him (and him on his back). Wish I had a digital copy of that now but really taught me the power of being fast and explosive.