CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
Eric Eckman

Profile:
Re: No energy -> No motivation?

I haven't seen your nutrition thread, but what does your diet look like? You say you're "eating better than ever." Does that mean a paleo diet? Many people misinterpret paleo to be strictly low carb, but for a very active crossfitter, I've personally found that low carb doesn't work for me and leaves me feeling like I don't have much gas in the tank to really hit the workouts as hard as they should be. Robb Wolf himself has a few posts on his blog about this issue, saying that athletes need carbs. Try eating more healthy carbs like sweet potato and squash, especially on days when you train hard.

Here is a good WFS safe post from Robb Wolf on the subject: http://*************/2013/01/02/thou...leo-part-deux/

EDIT: I have no idea why the board is inserting asterisks into the link, but replace them with robbwolf[dot]com and that should work.

Last edited by Eric Eckman : 03-30-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
Joffray Marcantel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Eckman View Post
I haven't seen your nutrition thread, but what does your diet look like? You say you're "eating better than ever." Does that mean a paleo diet? Many people misinterpret paleo to be strictly low carb, but for a very active crossfitter, I've personally found that low carb doesn't work for me and leaves me feeling like I don't have much gas in the tank to really hit the workouts as hard as they should be. Robb Wolf himself has a few posts on his blog about this issue, saying that athletes need carbs. Try eating more healthy carbs like sweet potato and squash, especially on days when you train hard.

Here is a good WFS safe post from Robb Wolf on the subject: http://*************/2013/01/02/thou...leo-part-deux/

EDIT: I have no idea why the board is inserting asterisks into the link, but replace them with robbwolf[dot]com and that should work.
I eat more or less paleo. I'll have oatmeal for breakfast and have dairy also
Old 04-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #13
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

One thing Id like to add on top od Wolf's blog entry, he is spot on about it, we just cant overcome how cell works under heavy load - anaerobic work.

But what Ive noticed that people believe they have to consume "large" amounts of carbs to replenish glycogen used during high intensity anaerobic workout. But to my surprise small amounts of it are used. For example during a strength training, like 531 program, only 20-40 carbs are needed to replenish glycogen used.

When being sedentary our body uses almost exclusively only fats to provide energy for cells, so something like "I feel tired, lets eat some carbs" is not really how our body works. But this is under normal conditions, if we abuse carbs and have elevated insulin levels, we just cant use fats as fuel because our body wants to burn/store all that excess sugar in our blood and prioritizes it for cell energy production.

How much carbs to eat? Very situation depending and hard to put an exact number without knowing our vo2 and vco2, but Ive come up with a simplier idea. Just a HR monitor is needed with some basic functions and a pretty good accuracy. Once we have that we can calculate carbs used during a workout - be aware, margin of error is quite high. But still I believe its more optimum than just having 200, 300 or 400g carbs daily as these numbers might be either too low or too high.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
Brian Smith brianisrighthere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H Larson View Post
I tend to struggle with a lack of energy and motivation pretty often. Most of this is related to my job though. I work 10+ hours a day at a desk. Most of the day is spent getting yelled at over the phone by very upset people while I do my best to help them. The stress level is extremely high in my industry and unfortunately that carries over into pretty much everything else. When I finally get to work out at the end of the day I already feel like I just finished a wod.
Rick, sounds a lot like worker's comp claims adjusting, no? When you're unmotivated, you're tired. It's that simple. The days when I wake up knowing I have something awesome to accomplish, and I'm quite confident that I'm going do do well at it, those are the days I have the most energy. Regardless of how much I slept the night before. Of course consistent sleep is necessary, but your mindset at the beginning of the day will often guide your motivation and your energy level for the day.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Overtraining will lead to that as it has all been said.

I've been out for a week now after coming back because I have a bad heart and pushed to hard too soon.. now coming back MUCH slower.

Listen to your body. No one really suffers if they take a few days off and rest up

I also like to add a few extra calories into my diet when my body is telling me to rest. Helps to recover and recharge.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #16
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:

It can also help your motivation level to find a partner to workout with, if you don't already have one.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:02 AM   #17
Alex Burden

Profile:

Everyone has ups and down at some point..

That makes it either 2 things
1 - training is boring, non motivating
2 - Diet is either really bad, or really boring

both of these will affect you.

I could read that you are full paleo! if you listen to what the best within CF say none of them are full paleo! they use the best parts of it and add on what they think is best for the best balance.

There must be a reason/goal for everything and you need to break these two down to find out what your goals are.

For example: your goal for CF and your training might be one thing but your paleo diet is not the best thing for that goal for any number of reasons.

You might want to get ripped (main goal) and are using paleo for that but you also like to train hard and heavy and your diet is preventing that goal...

So decide on what you want to do with it and then put the parts together..