CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
Brian Smith brianisrighthere

Profile:
Doing Yoga After CrossFit

Ok, so I've been doing CrossFit WODs at a local affiliate for about two years on a fairly regular basis. Due to (uninteresting) changes I've decided to focus on working out at home. Until I can save up money to purchase equipment (which won't be long since I'm setting aside what I was paying at the affiliate), I've been doing bodyweight workouts and yoga. Yes yoga.

My wife and I have been doing Yoga With Adriene on YouTube a few nights a week. And oddly enough, I've developed back pain in the two weeks since transitioning from daily WODs to bodyweight exercises and yoga. Whowouldathought? The pain is contained right between the lower thoracic and upper lumber portions of the spine (think lower-mid back), and it's in an area right between the vertibrae and their surrounding muscles.

I can't pinpoint anything that has caused it, and other than the workout movement changes, I haven't had any unusual changes in diet, posture, or otherwise. My guess is that in transitioning from frequent heavy loads on my back to having some time without that, my body is doing some adjustment. I plan on continuing with the yoga and bodyweight work for the next couple of months before getting back to hard & heavy WODs. Hopefully I can get this pain resolved in that time.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I'm sure (hoping) it's just a matter of my body adjusting to the change.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
Nic Nakis

Profile:
Re: Doing Yoga After CrossFit

I've been there, Brian, and I could say a lot about this, but I'll keep it simple.

Stop doing the YouTube yoga. Pick up a book like Light on Yoga, by B.K.S. Iyengar, and spend a lot of time on each asana, perfecting the position.

In the same way that CrossFit can hurt someone who doesn't know the movements well enough to handle volume and load, yoga done fast with poor technique can be harmful. Video yoga usually falls into that category: changing position often but not focusing on the quality of those positions.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #3

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Nakis View Post
I've been there, Brian, and I could say a lot about this, but I'll keep it simple.

Stop doing the YouTube yoga. Pick up a book like Light on Yoga, by B.K.S. Iyengar, and spend a lot of time on each asana, perfecting the position.

In the same way that CrossFit can hurt someone who doesn't know the movements well enough to handle volume and load, yoga done fast with poor technique can be harmful. Video yoga usually falls into that category: changing position often but not focusing on the quality of those positions.
Thanks Nic, to someone like me who is totally ignorant and new to yoga, who thinks "It's just stretching and breathing, how hard could it be..." this is probably very wise advice. Should probably educate myself a bit before diving in head first.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Nic Nakis

Profile:

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can find some other threads that discussed CrossFit and Yoga, going back about 10 years! A lot of issues have already been brought up on this board, and I think you'll find it informative to read through those.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #5

Profile:

Thanks Nic. I'm new to utilizing forums in general (it's 2014, about time I know), also just found that the advanced search is much more useful than regular search.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
Joe Spinelli

Profile:

I have also been doing WOD's for a little over 2 years and have seen great progression in just about everything but flexibility. People kept telling me that "it will come," but it has become obvious to me that it will not and I have to go chase it.

I started with some basic stuff. I bought some lacrosse balls and I started laying on the ground and working out some of the knots, mostly in my neck, shoulders and back. I have also used the balls to sit on for 10-15 at a time at my desk when I have sore glutes or hamstrings and it really helps.

About 2 months ago, my box started offering a mobility/yoga session once a week. I have been going almost every week, and I can really see a difference. The hard core yoga chicks complain that it's not "fast" enough and we don't concentrate on breathing enough, but for me, I'm in it to gain flexibility, and it is really helping.

My experience with yoga is very limited, but I understand there are many different focuses. Strength, flexibility, core strength, speed, hot, etc.

If you have not checked out mobilitywod.com you should. They have some awesome videos, but don't think you can do a stretch 2-3 times and you're gonna be healed. It takes a lot of time to fix a lifetime of bad posture, sitting at a desk, driving with slumped shoulder, etc.

Good luck