CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
Chris Mason

Profile:
An article about the specificity of training

I just wrote and published this:

WFS - http://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog...your-training/
Old 09-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: An article about the specificity of training

Let me know if you have questions please.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
Philipp Lendner

Profile:

If I got it right, your basic point is that if you want to get better at something, doing something else might not be as efficient as doing want you want to get better at (I know, that was too simple). That is pretty much the Bulgarian Method explained the other way around. I think it is pretty well understood that your 1RM Back Squat does not tell anything about your 1RM Squat Clean, however your 1RM Squat Clean tells at least something about your minimal Back Squat, but again nothing about your 1RM Back Squat.

Therefore, the logical question is: how do you specify your raw strength, which can be trained pretty simple, so that an increase in your 1RM BS carries over to your 1RM SC? But I guess that is going to be the topic of the next article.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp Lendner View Post
If I got it right, your basic point is that if you want to get better at something, doing something else might not be as efficient as doing want you want to get better at (I know, that was too simple). That is pretty much the Bulgarian Method explained the other way around. I think it is pretty well understood that your 1RM Back Squat does not tell anything about your 1RM Squat Clean, however your 1RM Squat Clean tells at least something about your minimal Back Squat, but again nothing about your 1RM Back Squat.

Therefore, the logical question is: how do you specify your raw strength, which can be trained pretty simple, so that an increase in your 1RM BS carries over to your 1RM SC? But I guess that is going to be the topic of the next article.
Phillip, when speaking of Olympic lifting the back squat can aid the squat clean. In that case the squat clean must be performed in order to optimize the nervous system to the specific movement pattern. With that said, you will never be able to squat clean more than you can front squat, and you will always be able to back squat more than you can front squat (barring injury and assuming all movements are practiced regularly). So, the use of the back squat permits an overload relative to squat clean for the posterior chain and quads. While it will not directly translate to an improved squat clean for anyone beyond a beginner lifter, it will result in increased force production capacity of the involved trunk and leg muscles which can then help to ultimately increase the squat clean as that specific movement is practiced.

Does that make sense?
Old 09-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Philipp Lendner

Profile:

Sorry Chris, my post was bit imprecise.

My point was that your article was not that big news. I think it is commonly accepted that increasing strength might increase your potential in your sport, but only if you can transfer this increase over into your sport. The question for each athlete has to be how to make this transfer happen.

I used the example BS/SC because I do compete in the olympic lifts, though only on a low level, and therefore this is my example of choice if it comes to sport . I have seen guys with totally different strength numbers lifting the same weights (all with good technique) and I have vice versa seen guys with comparable strength numbers lifting different weights.
And even on the highest level there is no rule that someone is going to be able to SC a given % of his BS.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp Lendner View Post
Sorry Chris, my post was bit imprecise.

My point was that your article was not that big news. I think it is commonly accepted that increasing strength might increase your potential in your sport, but only if you can transfer this increase over into your sport. The question for each athlete has to be how to make this transfer happen.

I used the example BS/SC because I do compete in the olympic lifts, though only on a low level, and therefore this is my example of choice if it comes to sport . I have seen guys with totally different strength numbers lifting the same weights (all with good technique) and I have vice versa seen guys with comparable strength numbers lifting different weights.
And even on the highest level there is no rule that someone is going to be able to SC a given % of his BS.
Actually, the point of the article is that your training has to very specifically address your goals, and to give the reader a better understanding of why that is from physiologically speaking.

When you say good form and the same strength levels, even small changes in form and anatomy individually can make a big difference in performance.

What is your personal #1 goal relative to your training?