CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
Richard Macaulay

Profile:
Time effecient training

Hey guys

Just finishing this week a cycle of Dan Johns 'Transformation Program'. Great program but looking for steady gains over time. Also, v short on time with more important priorities.

Can anyone suggest which they would recommend (based on personal experience/results, time efficiency etc) GSLP or 5/3/1?

I know there are different versions of 5/3/1 but I guess that's were the personal experience and results come in.

Thanks

Richard
Old 09-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
Chris Jones

Profile:
Re: Time effecient training

Having done both programs you listed, i prefer 5/3/1. The jumps that GSLP prescribed were too much for me, i prefer the training cycle of 5/3/1 and that it allows for progression(although slower) for many months before you stall and have to reset. I didnt the 5/3/1 with the Boring But Big(BBB) accessory lifts and really enjoyed it. Im in my 8th cycle and have only stalled on the strict press so far. Im doing the 4 day/week template, but have contemplated switching to the 2 day template at the beginning of next year and putting more focus on conditioning to use my newly found strength for WODs.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:40 AM   #3
Bob Herald

Profile:

5/3/1 was good. If you do the jack **** template, you come in and just do the core lift. Your workout could be done in 20 minutes including warm up sets. He has templates for 2,3 or 4 days a week.

As long as you're okay with using a spreadsheet and sticking to a rigid plan this program is great. I got off of it, because although I had good results, my work and life schedule required a more flexible program. I do better with a total body workout that I can plug Into any day of the week without worrying to much about it.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:46 AM   #4
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
5/3/1 was good. If you do the jack **** template, you come in and just do the core lift. Your workout could be done in 20 minutes including warm up sets. He has templates for 2,3 or 4 days a week.

As long as you're okay with using a spreadsheet and sticking to a rigid plan this program is great. I got off of it, because although I had good results, my work and life schedule required a more flexible program. I do better with a total body workout that I can plug Into any day of the week without worrying to much about it.

Thanks I make looking at his 2,3,4 day options now. What is it that your using?

Richard