CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:
Interesting story

I was at a get together for a friends birthday on Sunday with about 10-11 people. The host knew that my wife and I eat a pretty clean/paleo diet so they served ham, fresh veggies, lettuce salad, cooked carrots, maybe one or two other dishes but all pretty clean. Both my wife and I had some of everything, I ended up eating quite a lot. Carrot cake was dessert, I refrained but my wife had a piece.

We found out yesterday that every single person at the party got violently ill the next day. Two people went to the hospital it was so bad and most are still under the weather. I heard that it may have been salmonella but no one has heard anything conclusive yet.

Part of me wonders if we just got lucky or our clean diet and over all health really came through for us. Additionally, we have a smoothy every morning for breakfast in which we have 4 raw eggs between the 2 of us. We have done this almost every day for about 9 months. People are often in shock when they hear that as they are certain we will get salmonella (I'm not terribly concerned, we generally get our eggs locally from a trusted source).

I just thought I would share.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Interesting story

So you all ate the same food and everyone got salmonella except for you and your wife?

Food either has salmonella or it doesnt... you guys must have built up a resistance?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Richard Joy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Traeger View Post
Food either has salmonella or it doesnt...
That's not exactly true. A particular food will have a certain amount of contamination from salmonella (the amount might be none). If you eat that food, you will ingest however much salmonella it has. However, you still might not get sick. Your stomache acid will destroy some of it, and your immune system will attack the rest. The unpleasant symptoms of salmonella poisoning are, generally speaking, the mechanisms that your immune system is using to rid your body of the bacteria.

So, my point is that two different people might eat the same contaminated food and only one will get sick. If person A only eats a little and person B eats a lot, then person B will have to fight off more of the bacteria. Also, if they eat the same amount, but person A has different body chemistry than person B (for instance, stronger stomache acid), then it's possible that person A's digestive system will kill off the bacteria and prevent symptoms from showing up.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

Again, no one has confirmed that it is salmonella... just a theory.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Traeger View Post
So you all ate the same food and everyone got salmonella except for you and your wife?

Food either has salmonella or it doesnt... you guys must have built up a resistance?
Or got lucky. Or have iron stomachs. Who knows.

My dad is known for his iron stomach... Many years ago we were at a BBQ where the chicken ended up being undercooked. Every single person except my dad had food poisoning to various degrees over the next three days. He suffered no ill effects, though he had eaten the same stuff.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Jeremy Moss

Profile:

I have no proof... but I feel that healthier people have an easier time dealing with harmful organisms introduced into their bodies.

I know when I was in excellent shape, I pretty much never got sick. When I was at the peak of my obesity a few years back, I was getting sick (call-in to work sick) almost 4 - 5 times a year. Now that I've stopped or lessened the bad things I was putting into my body and started exercising, I feel that my sick periods are much less potent and somewhat less frequent.

I just think (with no scientific reasoning mind you) that when people are obese our immune systems just in a more sluggish and compromised state than when we are healthy and feeding our bodies responsibly.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
Hollie Jacobs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Or got lucky. Or have iron stomachs. Who knows.
Sounds really cool to have iron stomachs. Haha. But that is pretty interesting.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
Craig Horstman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gerbrandt View Post
Again, no one has confirmed that it is salmonella... just a theory.
call house to confirm
Old 05-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Simple answer is the other people at this party do not have elite stomachs.