CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Joshua Alaniz

Profile:
Cooling a Garage

So today the temperature was was middle 70's where I live. It was very nice but it got me thinking as I'm working on a garage gym that I'm going to need some sort of cooling solution here pretty quick. I wanted to ask if anyone out there had any suggestions for under about $400. The garage is just about 300 sq feet. IIRC the hottest day during last summer was around 115 but it generally runs about 100-105 fahrenheit with very little humidity.

THX
Old 02-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: Cooling a Garage

I live in Tucson, AZ, similar climate. I recommend working out early in the morning. Then it's at least in the 80's... or maybe 90's...

There aren't a lot of options. A window A/C would be super-expensive on your electricity bill. Swamp coolers suck, IMO. You could run a water hose with tiny holes into the ceiling and turn it on during your workout. Same concept as a swamp cooler, and works better. It's wet, though...
Old 02-15-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Get some HUGE freaking fans from Home Depot. Work out early.

A mister could be used but they just end up everything damned wet.

Or just adapt to the heat after 3 weeks of sucking ***.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:57 AM   #4
John C Corona

Profile:

yeah, cant run from the heat, just around it. Dusk is not as good as dawn cause the ground is still HOT. Those stand alone ac units work, but its localized, so you have to be near it to feel anything. Fans everywhere...hang em up ideally...all around you. The oven effect is worse than wod'ing outside.

You can plan training around it by doing some strength cycles as well, minimizing long metcons in the summer.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Tony Sutton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Alaniz View Post
So today the temperature was was middle 70's where I live. It was very nice but it got me thinking as I'm working on a garage gym that I'm going to need some sort of cooling solution here pretty quick. I wanted to ask if anyone out there had any suggestions for under about $400. The garage is just about 300 sq feet. IIRC the hottest day during last summer was around 115 but it generally runs about 100-105 fahrenheit with very little humidity.

THX
Someone had an ongoing post about building a garage for his gym. He had the opposite problem as you (northern canada), and he used a heat pump (no not geothermal) on a remote to warm the gym up before entering. The great thing about heat pumps is that they also work as an air conditioner. For instance, if it is 32F outside, your heat pump is bringing the indoor air temp to 65, if it is 80s, 90s, and 100sF, then 65 is going to feel pretty nice.

The second great part, they are typically cheaper to run than other heating/cooling options because they are more efficient.

Anyways, heat pumps are very popular in europe and growing in the U.S. The post I am referring to listed a reasonable price and installed it himself. I will keep looking for the post itself. I will send you a pm if/when I find it.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Joshua Alaniz

Profile:

Thanks for the responses, and Tony I will look into heat pumps as well. They are likely a bit out of my price range.

Seems like the best way to go for the minimalist (read: poor man) in me might be to find a giant fan, plugging it in, and doing work.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Benji Whitehead

Profile:

http://www.bigassfans.com/ work/family safe

i don't know how much these cost but they work

i've got a good hi speed fan from home depot and i put an attic vent fan up high to suck the heat out from overhead. i open the garage door and put my fan in the doorway blowing air in while the attic vent fan sucks it out at the top. it's less miserable on 100* days but not exactly comfortable. i've worked out in the garage from 18-108* Fahrenheit.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Charlie Grantham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sutton View Post
Someone had an ongoing post about building a garage for his gym. He had the opposite problem as you (northern canada), and he used a heat pump (no not geothermal) on a remote to warm the gym up before entering. The great thing about heat pumps is that they also work as an air conditioner. For instance, if it is 32F outside, your heat pump is bringing the indoor air temp to 65, if it is 80s, 90s, and 100sF, then 65 is going to feel pretty nice.

The second great part, they are typically cheaper to run than other heating/cooling options because they are more efficient.

Anyways, heat pumps are very popular in europe and growing in the U.S. The post I am referring to listed a reasonable price and installed it himself. I will keep looking for the post itself. I will send you a pm if/when I find it.
Almost all air conditioners are heat pumps, I think he is referring to a split system that runs the compressor in heat mode with a three way reversing valve. This allows the compressor to use the indoor evap coil as the condenser. This removes heat from outside and rejects it into the conditioned space. This is certainly more efficient (depending on outdoor temp) for heating that electric heat , however has no increased efficiency in cooling mode. Some systems are more efficient that others in cooling and that can be determined by the seer rating.