CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-15-2005, 05:09 AM   #1
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
I've seen it mentioned before about using Bands for assisted pull ups. While i can do close grip, palms in as a single, so happy did 20 the other day each from dead hang(first time i'd ever done more than 3 unassisted in one day, and still feeling it) trying for doubles this week. I want to be able to practice when at the gym by myself and work on a wide grip. What is the best length/strenght to use. How do you hook it up? Im 150lbs 5'6". I know you mentioned it breify Don S (sydney) but now im after details
Old 06-15-2005, 05:44 AM   #2
bill fox

Profile:

Fiona

Use a blue Ironwoody band or a medium Jump stretch band. Throw one end over the bar and loop it thru itself and tighten it. Make it a litte off center so its not right in your face. Just put one foot in it and go. If its not enough help, tie a couple of knots in the band (to shorten it) before you step in
Old 06-16-2005, 08:40 AM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I use the purple/medium js band. But you can also go with a stronger band or lighter band. If you are buying bands I suggest getting at least 2: one stronger and one lighter. That way you can vary the resistance. Use both together, remove the light one. Then use the medium band by itself, then switch from the medium to the light one, then no band at all.

Don't look down! Just in case the band slips off your feet and ricochets up!

I usually pull the band down with my hands and step one foot in. Jump up using the standing leg and grab the bar. Then I place my other foot into the band as well. keep your feet flat so the band won't be as likely to slide off. If you are at the gym and there are several choices of where you can loop the band, go for the highest point. That will give you greater assistance through a greater range of motion.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Ok for a start ironwoody and JS bands are riduculously expensive to get shipped over here so I went online and did a quick search for exercise tubing.

After a few minutes i found a place where i could buy a roll of 5 metres of tubing for $40 AU.

It arrived the next day and i cut it up into 2 x 1.25m pieces and one 2.5m piece. Then i tied it into loops using a reef knot. (the longer one can be doubled up on the bar to equal two shorter loops in strength)

Each of the bands is fairly weak but i've got 4 in total and overall they are enough to enable my girlfriend to do 5 pullups in a row. Once you can do 5 with all four bands you drop one off and try with 3 etc etc.

To hook the bands up you simply loop the band over the bar and pull it through itself, for more tension you can loop the band through itself a couple of times. (i'll try to post photos later)

Due to the length of the bands and the height of my bar, which is a little too close to the ground) the way we use the bands is to put them in between the hands and then loop them underneath one knee before reaching up for the bar. If you made longer bands or had a step you could step into the bands as described above.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #5
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Thanks Don, i know i can get theratube from my physio for about $5 a meter so i will do that.
If i pick it up this afternoon ,i will let you know tomorrow how i go.
PS Got 3x 2 close grip pulls unassisted out today, each from dead hang.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:42 PM   #6
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Nice work on the pullups, i'm sure with some tubing you'll start piling on the reps!
Old 06-17-2005, 01:58 AM   #7
Karl Steadman

Profile:
Gotta re-iterate what Keith said;

My girlfriend was doing ring dips with an old bike inner tube for a jump stretch band (which is effective by the way) and it flicked up not once, but twice straight into her face! I tried so hard not to laugh, i honestly did......i failed.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:05 AM   #8
Peter Galloway

Profile:

I was a witness to the above as well, and I can confirm that it was indeed hilarious - even in the midst of our nightmare chipper! :lol:
Old 06-17-2005, 04:41 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Once you get 5 unassisted pull ups, I'd just go with free pull ups (without bands), for most workouts with pullups in them. It's impossible to kip with the bands on, and kipping is a part of this program. While I was working my numbers up with the bands, work on the practice swing for the kip (detailed a couple of days ago).
Old 06-18-2005, 08:11 PM   #10
Brandon Thomas

Profile:  
These are the bands that I used when I was getting back to training after my shoulder surgery. They have taken a lot of abuse and seem to be a less expensive than others I have seen. This is also where I purchased my D-Ball and many other pieces of equipment.

http://www.performbetter.com/detail....tegoryID_E_358

Brandon