CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-11-2005, 03:07 AM   #1
Israel Halperin

Profile:
hello all, this is my first time posting here, although i have been reading the fourms for a good while now.until not long ago i was an active muay thai fighter,but in the last 4 month i got a bit burned out with fighting and now i spent most of my time learning and reading about "fitness"

i am completely blowen away by the crossfit philosphy ,and adapted it into my training as much as i could.
i dont follow the WODS as i dont know how to OL properly and until i will learn that ,i follow a different training program. i was hoping that maybe some of you will critique my routine that i follow these days. many of the concepts and work outs are taken from crossfit.

day1 = back day- 20 minutes of working my deadlift EST style(http://home.comcast.net/~joandbryce/it_all.htm).
+
weighted pull ups- i put 20 kilos in my back pack and do 10 sets of 4.
+
one exrisce that i choose, something lighter. maybe seated rows or pull downs with lighter weight.usually it will be 5x5. the last exercise i leave as an open slate to what ever i feel is right doing that day.
+
20 minutes of cardio be it the concept 2 machine or swimming.(sometimes it will be purely arobic, other times i will work intervels tabata style)

day2= a conditiong day- i do either mary(these days i get around 10-12 sets) or cindey(my best is 26 sets)
+
either run for 4 kilometers or do a 5x800 meters.

day3=chest day- 20 minutes of bench press(same as in the deadlift)
+
overhead press 5x5
+
what ever exercise i choose..
+
cardio for 20 minutes(jog,concept2,swimming)

day4=rest !!!

day5= legs- 20 minutes of either back or front squats.
+
Barbell Step Ups 5x5
+
one exercise that i choose
+
20 minutes of carido

day6=same as day 2

day7= full body work out - 6x6 of barbell thruster
+
5x10 each hand of dumbbell swings (http://trainforstrength.com/ex-4.shtml)
+
5x6 OHS
+
cardio for 20 mintes

day7=rest

and than the whole thing again..

i work my abs 3-4 times a week as well and that takes another 15 minutes or so.
each of the work outs take anywhere btween 45 to 90 minutes.

sometimes i switch things up, and work on different things. maybe even switch days.
i carefully choose the exercises that i know my form is pretty soild. once i will move to a different city i hope to find an OL coach and after learning some of the lifts i would like to follow the wods.

sorry for the long post and for any spelling mistakes, english is my second language.

Old 06-11-2005, 04:34 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Pretty good stuff. You might want to mix the cardio and the strength stuff, having them as distinct segments of your workout will develop a segmented capacity. ie you might have some nice lifts but not at a high heart rate. Overall you're on the right track.

You don't really need an OLY coach to get started on the lifts, read everything on this site and this one and get lifting. An OLY coach can tidy you up when you get around to it.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I'm with Graham, nice stuff, too segmented. Let's get you doing the Crossfit workout. Crossfit is looking for the adaptations derived from O-lifting, it does not want to turn you into a O-lifter. In a way inefficient technique makes you work harder, as long as you don't injure yourself. Don't keep putting it off. By the way, Bill Fox is using KB's for all of his weighted work...I believe you could use KB cleans, jerks, and snatchs to substitute for the traditional O-lifts with a bar.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:15 AM   #4
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
This is just an observation; I'm in no way qualified to critique your routine. You work in a narrower rep range than the WODs. You're doing mostly 4, 5 or 6 rep sets. Many WODs are 21-15-9, 3-3-3-3-3-3-3, or even 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.

What results have you seen so far?
Old 06-11-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
Israel Halperin

Profile:
first of all, thanks for the replies.

the reasons i still havent gone a 100% crossfit are:

although i have trained with OL coachs, my technique is lacking big time, and i am too scared ill get injred doing the lifts with out proper education. i wouldnt mind doing them with bad technique for high reps, but i seriously dont understand what someone like myself, and i am sure there are planty like me, are suppose to do on days that include a 1-1-1-1-1 with snatchs or something else ? i would never dare to lift that much weight with improper technique.

second, before i go a 100% crossfit, i feel an urge to work on my lifts and improve them a little with out all the huffing and puffing from combining them with running and such.
all my life i was training arobics and anarobics for the fighting and never got a chance to actually get stronger and put some mass on with weight lifting.
i am very young and in no hurry,therfore i take my time and dont rush stright into the WODS.
make no mistake, there is no question i will get to the WODS eventually, but i want to get stronger, work on clean technique for the lifting, and perhaps even compete once or twice in an powerlifting comp before.

the last reason for not doing the WODS is very simple, i just dont have access to the equipment that is needed for them. a project that i am working on all the time.

so far, i have seen good results with this program strength wise. i love the 20 minutes thing. its very clear and liner. progress is very visable.
i do the twice a week training where i do one of the girls with pretty good results(cindey=26sets,mary=10)and than i run a 5x800 which works on the combinations of energy systems and such.

now that i have explained my self, does my program look any better ?? :happy:

i would also like to use this chance to thank the crossfit method for every thing that i have learned and adapted into my life and training.
my diet has never been better(i follow palo)
and i thank the lord for the 3-1 split. before that i would train 6 times a week for almost 3 hours each seassion, no wonder i was depressed and drained all week.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Israel, I only think there are a handful of people around with all the proper gear. Since I got out of school, which didn't have a rower or rings in any case, I've been faking it with two rafter in my garage, two cinderblocks, and a bag of bark (hooray! bar is on the way!) Don't sweat that. I'd say the only real problem with your routine, is that...it's a routine. I think the single biggest advantage of CF is that the stimulus is rarely the same twice. The randomization alleviates boredom (increasing motivation) and removes expectations (and thus the degree of trepidation and control that occompanies a routine) It sounds like, with access to a bar, you're worrying too much. I can't O-lift worth crap. But you don't need to be scared of it. On that heavy day, just make sure you have a soft place to ditch the bar and don't be stupid. If you've got thrusters and deadlifts and swings down, you're most of the way there. If the cleans are scary, do clean pulls. If snatches are scary, do heavier cleans, or lighter snatches with more reps for a different stimulus. Remember, you adapt the most, and thus get the most benefit, when you're bad at something! Grandmas do a variant on the WOD, having a PL meet under your belt seems to be overkill. People gain really surprising amounts of max strength without training for it with the WODs. I read in an interview with coach that if you can deadlift 21 reps as fast as you can with your HR already around 180, you'll be able to tear a helluva lot more off the floor fresh. That huffing and puffing during your lifts makes you lift better, or at least be fitter in the long wrong. But "chest day"? "cardio"? start faking the WODs as best you can, friend!
Old 06-12-2005, 07:32 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Kalen, you rock! Great post.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:57 AM   #8
Israel Halperin

Profile:
good points kyle, yet i to disagree with you on some issues.

first of all, its one thing that my lifts might improve while haffing and puffing, but i doubt that it wil help my technique, which is poor as it is.
compound lifts need concentration,espcailly in a beginers stage. its much harder to concetrate on porper technique while my heart is racing.

i cant help but be suspcious about learning OL by my self. OL is very complicated and takes years to master. its just like saying you can learn thai boxing by yourself, and as a fighter and a trainer i belive its impossible.not only that, but you will develop bad habits with out a trainer to corrct you, and then it will take much longer to ditch the bad habits and relearn the right way of doing it.not to mention that by doing thai boxing by yourself,you most likely wont get injered, but with OL i belive the risk is much higher.

you mock the "chest day" and "cardio",
but let me ask you this, if instad of chest day i would have writen that i follow a powerlifting routine,and i wouldnt write that i do the cardio afterwards. how would you feel about the routine then ?

keep in mind that when i write cardio i dont mean that i simply jog around at 50% , i mix it up with tabata intervals,1 minute 100% and 1 minute for 50% and many other verations. so really, even from a crossfit prespective, the only thing that is missing is mixing all the elements together.

Old 06-12-2005, 10:45 AM   #9
Beth Moscov

Profile:
the only thing that is missing is mixing all the elements together.

But that is exactly the point. It isn't crossfit if it doesn't fit this definition: “CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program built on constantly varied, if not randomized, functional movements executed at high intensity.” The quote is from Eugene's notes on one of the certification seminars and is a quote of Coach Glassman. It was important enough to be repeated and gone into in detail. There is value in doing the moves alone but it isn't the same as doing them at high intensity, and in varied ways and patterns.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #10
Israel Halperin

Profile:
beth,fair enough, i agree. again, i will get there evetually.

i just dont understand why the fact that i am postponding the WODS to the not so far future, just inorder that i will feel confident in my lifts is such a no no,anyone ?