CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-16-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
Chuck Pelowski

Profile:
Today, for the first time ever, I did weighted squats "a2a." Rock bottom. I also noticed that my heels kept coming up, so I concentrated on driving through them. This is all great, but I STRUGGLED with sets of 5 reps at 185lbs. I'm used to doing those sets at 285. My hip flexors and to a much lesser extent, my lower back, felt tired afterwards. However, it doesn't feel like I'm going to be sore except possibly, in my thighs.

Is it normal that I had to drop 100lbs off of the lift? What happened?
Old 06-17-2005, 04:50 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Chuck, if you never did full squats before, your weight will drop, but will go up pretty fast. I think its a riot to see guys (some of who workout in John Walsh's gym) load up the squat bar and barely bend their knees (not that I'm saying you did this, I'm sure you went to at least parallel). I never understood why people train every muscle through the full range of motion, except the squat. Part of this has to do with the "your going to hurt your knees" camp, part may have to do with the fact that powerlifters only have to break parallel. Keep going Chuck, full ROM squats prepare you for C&J and Snatch...try full ROM front squats too.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:14 AM   #3
Brendan Melville

Profile:
When I finally hit what I felt to be near-perfect technique, I actually lost weight on my squat, because my posterior chain is lacking, really really lacking. But that's coming along nicely now that I'm doing things right.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:10 AM   #4
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Picking up on what Larry said, it might be worth your while to work front squats. You'll probably find it easier to get deep and push through the heels - in my experience, the weight acts as a counterbalance and gives you more confidence in the bottom position.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:15 AM   #5
bill fox

Profile:

Want to do another interesting experiment? Take an easy overhead sqaut weight, say 95lbs, and do it barefoot A2A.

Chuck - totally normal, just means you found a weak link to work on.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:10 AM   #6
William Hunter

Profile:
Chuck,

Coach recommends you get your Tabata squat score up to 18-20, with good form, before adding ANY weight. This kept me in the "no weight group" for several months initially.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
James R. Climer

Profile:
Interesting tidbit, William, I've never heard that before. Thanx.

I guess I need to get my posterior chain to HQ.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:11 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

95 pounds is an "easy" OHS weight?
Old 06-18-2005, 04:37 AM   #9
James Bland

Profile:  
"Coach recommends you get your Tabata squat score up to 18-20, with good form, before adding ANY weight. This kept me in the "no weight group" for several months initially."

I've seen this mentioned a number of times now. For WOD's like back squats for 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps what do people do? I was thinking maybe use deadlifts instead since these are included in the 12 weeks beginners routine so I assume they are considered a less demanding lift and would have a similar stimulus in terms of high wight or alternatively replace with BW squats to improve form/ability at squating? in that case what sort of workout should I be doing?
Old 06-18-2005, 08:35 AM   #10
Beth Moscov

Profile:
If your thighs hurt is it in front or back? I suspect that your not using your posterior chain enough because you talk about your heels coming up. If your hamstrings are sore, you did good, if your only sore in your quads, when you go low you may be doing a few things in your form - possibly not maintaining the curve in your low back. Take a look at the squat clinic in one of the back issues of the Crossfit Journal. It also has ways to work those weak spots that are very good. I forget which one and have to head down to HQ right now but if no one posts it by the end of the weekend, I will post the right issue for you.