CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
Ken Mindoro

Profile:
Navy Seal Fitness Challenge

I was just wondering if any of the crossfitters in the LA area are going to participate.

http://www.sealfitnesschallenge.com/ (wfs)

You basically register for free to try the Navy SEAL fitness test. Looks like alot of fun. I'd try it but I've never swum 500 yards in my life. Guess I have something to work towards for next time.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Re: Navy Seal Fitness Challenge

There's a few folks going from Petranek Fitness on Sunday, and one tomorrow, I think. It happens to coinciden with a paintball outing we've got organized for tomorrow and a 10K in Chinatown a bunch of our students are running on Sunday, so it wasn't the best weekend for us to get a big group to go!

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 02-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
Neil Khant

Profile:

Becca did your people compete? How did they do?

Did anyone else do this?

I am looking at doing this when it comes to Chicago. I am not a swimmer and would like to train to for the Seal Competitive.
This means:
Swim 500 yards using sidestroke or breaststroke in 10:00 minutes.
Push ups - 80+ in 2 minutes
Sit ups - 80+ in 2 minutes
Pull ups - 11+ (No Kipping)
Run 1.5 miles in 10:00 minutes

Swimming advise: side stroke or breast stroke better? Any good sites for proper technique?

I should have plenty of time to train for this. I think I can cover the rest with maintaining a good crossfit schedule, but any advice will be accepted.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

There's a basic, absolute must for any swimming which is going to be Terry Laughlin's Total Immersion -- you'll see it linked on the main page and I've seen a bunch of CF people refer to it, so I know CF is savvy of it.

But I do NOT know how well it covers breast stroke. Breast stroke is definitely faster than side stroke; side stroke is the SEALs' standard because it's ideally suited to carrying weight, surviving unknown amount of time in the water, stealth, versatility and navigation. These aren't really applicable to a 500-yard race, especially if it's not in open water.

Applying principles like the tabata protocol to swimming is helpful. I used to do a lot of "barnburners" -- swimming 25 or 50 yard repeats underwater (no breathing), minimizing rest between intervals.

The key is NOT to tell yourself you have plenty of time to train for it. That's a formula for laziness. Train for it immediately, put yourself through a rigorous copy of the test in the next 10 days. Then you know where you stand and what you're up against. Repeat the test every 10 days.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Matt Strawn

Profile:

Neil,
Give this workout a try if you are still interested:
Ten 50M sprints allowing 2 minutes for each sprint. Start your watch when you leave the wall. When you reach the other side, how ever much time you have remaining out of the original 2 minutes is rest time. Once that 2 minutes is up, sprint again and so on. You can do this with any stroke and the interval time can always be adjusted depending on your speed/fitness level. Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Zach Forrest

Profile:

I hated swimming...

I agree with Matt though, the sprints are the most effective way to build up speed and lower time in the 500. I'd suggest side stroke (or get a video of someone doing the Combat Sidestroke) just because I know a lot of guys that learn the technique and actually become faster with that than any other stroke (outside of front crawl/freestyle).

50m sprints, 100m sprints, and hypoxic laps are the best ways to increase performance for the 500, imho.

Swimming is 80% technique, 20% physical put out. Learn and perfect your stroke and you'll shave a lot of time off.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Neil Khant

Profile:

I already jumped in and tried to evaluate my time. Pitiful. I was gassing after 250 meters (Breast Stroke). Understanding that there is so much in the technique I know I need to get that going correctly.

Also I was never a "swimmer".

I had a pool as a kid and was on my college's diving team. But there is no real swimming as a diver, just hitting the bottom and pushing back up.

I did a triathalon years ago and it was the swim that killed me.

I say I have plenty of time, but I understand I will need every day of it to conquer the swim.

Does it make sense to train all strokes or just the one I will use or just certain ones based on what I will use? (Hope that made sense.)
Old 02-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #8
Becca Borawski

Profile:

We had a couple folks get the 2nd level of t-shirt, not the highest one but the next one down. I think one fell short on the swimming and the other fell short on the pushups or something like that. They all had a great time though.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 02-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
Armita Pebdani

Profile:

Quote:
Understanding that there is so much in the technique I know I need to get that going correctly.
I've got similar issues with the swimming technique (an even more overall ). I was suggested by a relative to take up a swimming class, which sounded silly at first since I pictured myself in a pool with a bunch of kiddies wearing water wings. But it would definitely pay off when it comes down to the technique.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Zach Forrest

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Khant View Post
I already jumped in and tried to evaluate my time. Pitiful. I was gassing after 250 meters (Breast Stroke). Understanding that there is so much in the technique I know I need to get that going correctly.
Also I was never a "swimmer".
Does it make sense to train all strokes or just the one I will use or just certain ones based on what I will use? (Hope that made sense.)
I've never actually seen anyone attempt the screen test doing breastroke...I know when you get to BUD/S they don't really allow it. You will be doing Combat Sidestroke in training, so the sidestroke is the most widely used/recommended stroke. It won't gas you as quickly, either, as it is an extremely efficient stroke when executed properly.

The majority of SEALs never were swimmers....

I wouldn't recommend training all different strokes really...focus on front crawl/freestyle and the sidestroke, as these are used during training the most.