CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
David Gray

Profile:
Need judgement on this "bumper" set

My Navy gym has been very receptive to purchasing equipment to support Crossfit (a second GHD, a new olympic platform, bumper plates) so I want to be gentle with them. I passed them the spreadsheet another poster made of crossfit-friendly bumper plate suppliers. But yesterday I found they ordered the following bumper set (http://www.ironcompany.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=1478 work and family safe), and from what I can tell I need to stop them from wasting their money ASAP. Does anyone have any personal experience with this brand of equipment? I already know that rubber-coated plates are not what we want, and that these plates aren't true bumpers in that the diameters aren't all equal, but what else can you more experienced lifters provide to help my response?

Thanks a bunch.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
David Gray

Profile:
Re: Need judgement on this "bumper" set

Belay my last, she heard my concerns and checked with her body-builder advisor, who concurred that this is not what we want. She suggested this (W/FS):http://www.ironcompany.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=3918

My only concern here is with the brass sleeves going bad. Again, does anyone have any experience with this brand/set.

And no, I don't know why she relies on this company unless it's on the GSA schedule.

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

They could have gotten a (wfs) Pendlay CrossFit bar and 500 pounds of bumper plates from (wfs) Wright Exercise + Muscle Clamps for $700.

You are right, they may have to buy from them, but in my last job at least the AF had taken away a lot of the restrictions on buying equipment as long as you compared at least 3 different vendors.

You can get a much better set for a lot cheaper these days.

Last edited by George Mounce : 08-07-2008 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
David Gray

Profile:

George, thanks, the price on the web page is about three times what her price is, so on that front it's competitive. I've given her the info on Pendlay, Wright, etc., but I think I'll have to show her why these aren't good choices first.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
Scott Mahn

Profile:

If they want to go with York let them. Nobody will be dissappointed.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #6
Paul Findley

Profile:

Ironcompany is a "middle man" for therubberman.com, and of course york which may also be supplied by therubberman.com

Last edited by Paul Findley : 08-07-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
Neil Khant

Profile:

one third the price puts you at about 1.32 per pound. If that includes shipping than that should be a good deal.

If you can get better great, otherwise why rock the boat, they should be good.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
David Gray

Profile:

Thanks all, from searching older posts that was the sense I was getting--that the York set is a option. I am, however, trying to put her in touch with Allison at York directly, since she also is going to purchase a GHD for our second site. Who knows what package deals they can work up!