CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Just wanted to let everyone know that the Crossfit gym that me and my guys are making at our new building for us here at the Dynamic Entry School in Quantico, Va (think breaching) is off the ground! I am just waiting for the rest of my shipment to come in from Jon Gilson, and we will have everything we need to run me and my guys through our WOD's without having to depend on others equipment! Very happy about it. We got our Again Faster bar up today, and mounted a set of rings (2 more to follow along with all the bumpers, slam balls, plyo boxes etc that we would need) so we are started. Still cant believe I got my bosses to sign off on buying the equipment for us to Crossfit. Will figure out how to upload pics, and put some on the boards for all to see. We are ordering some horse stall matting as well. Thanks to everyone that has given me tips and advice thus far, and again thanks to jon Gilson for supplying the equipment!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
isn't quantico between d.c. and hampton roads? we'll be driving thru there in 3 weeks on our move north.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:28 PM   #3
Samuel Redwine

Profile:
Quantico is S of DC, but Hampton Roads is SE. If you were to travel S on I-95 from DC you would hit Quantico, keep going S, you hit Richmond which is 1.5-2 hours from the Hampton Roads area.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:28 AM   #4
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Yes, what Sam said Connie. I believe its exit 148 off of I-95 in Va.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
Tim Weaver

Profile:
So, do you guys do personal training sessions for breaching? :biggrinthumb:

Like "blow 3 doors for time"
Wall-ball Flashbang toss?
Farmers walks with battering rams?
Old 06-29-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Connie Morreale

Profile:
i'm betting i wont be able to talk my husband into a stop, especially if it involves a mid day workout, but in the event he is game....
wht does monday, the 23rd after lunch hold for you? we are id card holders....active usaf.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Tim, thats funny, but we have a couple of two man rams that could DEFINATELY be used for farmers walks. Not a bad idea at all.

Connie, dont know what I have on tap for the 23rd, I would have to check. I am hoping that I would have all my stuff in by then, and you guys could be our first official "guests" at our little humble gym. Its really just the back of our supply room that we are partitioning off by wall lockers, and throwing some horse stall matting down... I would definately be down for a workout if you guys were game.... Or you guys could just stop by and see the digs. I will let you know when I know better what we have going on.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
Connie Morreale

Profile:
cool chris. thanks.
btw...how many minutes from the 95 exit are you?
Old 06-30-2007, 09:14 AM   #9
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I'm just going to throw this out there, but one of the ideas that hit my brain a while back and never left is a CrossFit biathlon, by which I mean combinination of shooting (or even throwing) of some sort and working out. Sample Idea: Fran Biathlon--21 thrusters, 21 pullups, 5 reactive targets. 15 thrusters, 15 pullups, 5 reactive targets, 9 thrusters, 9 pullups.

Now, in regular biathlon they either add time for misses, subtract time for hits, or make you ski penalty laps for misses. It may be standardized now, I don't know.

I think in this case adding 1 pullup and 1 thruster per miss would be fun.

The part of this that interests me is that accurate shooting--and I'm assuming dynamic entry involves firearms of some sort, since if you pull a Hank Williams, there's always the doghouse in the back, and doors are expensive--requires some level of calm. It's actually been shown that shooting increases right brain activity, and it is categorically the case that all beta blockers and sedatives are banned and tested for in shooting competitions.

This is what interests me about this juxtaposition of max heart rate, and calm, the toggling back and forth. Good biathletes learn to time their shots between heartbeats.

Now, I know most of you guys have icewater in your veins, but the guys up the street likely get slightly elevated pulses, maybe a tad bit of sweat, maybe a tad amped up, when doing an actual entry against folks who might just be discourteous enough to dynamically resist.

This leads me, via the barn, pond, and horse pasture, to the conclusion that it might be useful to practice shooting straight when amped up, by simulating stress with exercise. With your gym in your school, I'm guessing this would not present a substantial logistical challenge.

Anyway, my two cents. I'm hoping to get the chance to test this soon.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Barry

I had proposed something like this many months ago which I called "Shoot your WOD". There's thread on it in the WOD section, I think, from wayyyyyyy back.