CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-02-2005, 07:17 PM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
New guy I'm training in my gym named Micah is on our department's dive team. After only 4 or 5 workouts (hard ones, he came to me already pretty darn fit) he discovered a very functional improvement in his diving. Micah called to tell me that though he is normally known as an air sucker when he dives, on a recovery dive a few days ago he came up with 1,200 pounds of air left when for the same down time he usually has much closer to the 700 psi he usually surfaces with. Zero viz and all the anxiety associated with that and he was still air efficient. He had more air than a newer diver that was down for less than a third of the time and he even swam hard enough to outrun the sonar that was guiding search pattern. He also told me that he didn't wear his polar fleece under his dry suit and to compensate he took 4 pounds off his weight belt. In spite of the lighter belt he still had to add quite a bit of air to make himself boyant enough to stay off the bottom. Body fat loss = less boyancy? Not a controlled study by any meand but a wonderful testimonial.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:04 AM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Eugene...yes, lower bodyfat = less bouyant.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:15 AM   #3
Dan Silver

Profile:

So when the polar ice caps melt all us Crossfit folks are screwed?

Great.

-D.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:32 AM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Matt - though familiar with the bouyancy of fat vs muscle, I was surprised to see such a change in muscle mass in just a couple weeks. I was also surprised that in the same period of time Micah's air consumption would drop as dramatically as it did. Nothing like fast results to spawn new interest. As the word spreads more and more of the team and even other department members are getting involved.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Eugene, look at other factors as well. Ditching the polarfleece would likely mean he'd be a little colder. Respiration tends to drop in colder environment. My evidence is totally anecdotal...when doing underwaters I can go significantly further in a cold pool than I can in a warm one.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
As far as the BF bouancy thing goes. . . I was doing some swiming at a lake this weekend and seemed to have a lot more trouble this year.

Timed laps to a buoy can get real interesting when your 100m from shore and the water is 20m deep.

Matt, I don't know how you do it. With your body type I would think that you were more 'running on the bottom' vs actually swiming.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:55 AM   #7
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Who you calling buoyant?

Dan,
Not me; remember I'm the Glacier!