CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-07-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
susanne carney

Profile:  
Okay......I could write a whole book about how crossfit has changed the lifes of myself (42 year old woman, runner, crosscountry coach), and my 2 sons ( 13 and 15)....Thanks to Jim and Lisa Waddell I have learned to appreciate another form of exercise other than running. I have found through crossfit that even if I could run 10 miles I had absolutely no upper body strength, and no flexibility, which in the long run caused injury and burn out with my running. My oldest son is very athletic but wanted to get stronger and faster, through crossfit he has made a huge gain in both, to the point that people ask if he is on steroids(which of course he is not).......I had gotten to a point after the loss of my mother to cancer ( I completely quit everything) that I almost just gave up and settled for a sedentary life, my friend Lisa Waddell convinced me to attend one of her bootcamps a year ago and my life has been on a positive note ever since. I have my down days, but for the most part I am feeling great. Crossfit was something very skeptical to me at first, now I am a believer and can't wait until the next workout.........
Old 07-08-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Susanne, great job! Great story. Keep up the good work. My 9 year old son is really into Brand X Crossfit. A story I haven't told, is when my son was 4 years old he was diagnosed with ALL leukemia, it put me in a tail spin. Working out and later...Crossfit, helped...a lot. My son went through the treatment with flying colors, with absolutely no side effects. He played three or four sports throughout his chemo treatments, even played a baseball game 4 hours after a spinal tap. He played full contact football while he still had an internal cathater (he loves football). He's been cancer free for 5 years, 4 months. He is in a football camp now, and just got done with little league. Every night we get the Brand X Crossfit workout, for kids, and I guide him through the workouts. The experience has made my whole family stronger in spirit and even physically.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:26 AM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Susanne,
I had the pleasure of going through cert. in Santa Cruz with Lisa and Jim, and then again in Colorado. They are exceptional people and I'm glad to hear their program is doing well and that you and your son have benefited so much from it.
Larry,
Your sons story is humbling, thank you for sharing it here.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:39 AM   #4
susanne carney

Profile:  
Larry......The whole cancer thing is a terrifying experience, but in the long run it sure makes one stronger in every aspect of life. I am quite sure your son will be a very successful man in the future, to endure all of that, and with such a positive attitude, what a great motivator. As the family member of someone going through that whole ordeal, well, sometimes I think it is harder on those people. My Mom, with a tumor in her lung, managed to run up to 5 miles a day, until chemo. During Chemo she continued to walk and lift weights (even though the doctors told her not to), she is my inspiration daily. I suffered major depression after her death but have muddled my way back into life mainly due to crossfit, and of course Lisa. I was on anti depressants for awhile, only to gain a bunch of weight and get more depressed. I have thrown the medication away and am doing well. I am glad to hear you are doing well also, and tell your son that this oklahoma mom and coach is proud of him!

Jeff.....yes, Lisa and Jim are great people, Jim has helped my son more than words can describe, both physically and emotionally. I have never met a woman like Lisa in my life, she is what I aspire to be like, although I don't think my diet will ever be as good as hers!!
Old 07-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
Danny Edwards

Profile:
Susanne,

thanks for sharing your success story. While not a frequent visitor to the message board, I discovered Crossfit over a year ago and have been amazed. I'm happy to hear there are others in Oklahoma (I'm in Tulsa) suffering through and reaping the benefits of the WOD.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:36 AM   #6
susanne carney

Profile:  
Danny...........do you work out with a group or alone? We are getting quite a few people here in mcalester interested in crossfit.......i coach and teach and have had Lisa help me incorporate it in my cross country and track programs, and we are going to try it in middle school p.e. this next year. After experiencing it first hand, I think it is the perfect workout for our youth, it is short and to the point.......Our youth today are getting too soft in my opinion.........keep up the good work in tulsa
Old 07-10-2005, 07:27 AM   #7
Danny Edwards

Profile:
I couldn't agree more that the youth today are, for the most part, soft. Too much time in front of the idiot box or playing computer games. I train alone at in my garage gym outfitted specifically for Crossfit (weights, rings,kettlebell, etc). At some point I would like to experience training with a group. I'm happy to hear you are making a difference.