CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-23-2008, 06:11 AM   #1
Jessica Guido

Profile:
Question Vibram Five Fingers, do the stretch at all?

Hello all,

New to CF and LOVING every painful second of it! I figured out this past week that lifting is easier and my form is improved if I do things barefoot. Man do I have a long way to go though.

I have been eyeing the Vibram's and this past weekend went to the Cocoa Beach store and tried them on. I was looking at buying a pair of Classics, my feet are too narrow for the Sprint. I tried on a 39 and 40, the 40 seems a little looser and the 39 fits like a tight glove, but not too uncomfortable. I am not sure how much my feet swell during the WODs or if they do at all, but I have no room in the 39 if they do swell.

My question is, do the Vibrams have any give like a typical shoe, will they stretch a little with wear? Should I go with the perfect fit (39), or give myself a little room with the 40?

Thanks,

Jessica
Old 06-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Vibram Five Fingers, do the stretch at all?

From what I remember reading, you want them to fit "like a glove" when you first buy them.

I forget what size mine are, but they were snug enough around the pinky toe to cause some pain, but fit great everywhere else. Now, either by conditioning my pinky, or by stretching/wearing them in, I don't experience the pain any more.

But generally you want them to fit when you buy them. They are flexible enough to "give" if your feet swell up -- I never thought of that -- but other than that pinky toe, I don't think mine have really been broken in at all really. So I think overall what you get at the store is what you get in the end.

Edit: That was a terribly written post, but hopefully you could follow it. Sorry, it's 2 am
Old 06-24-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
Jessica Guido

Profile:

Thanks Elliot!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Tim Reding

Profile:

Yes, you want the snug fit for sure!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Leah Turner

Profile:

I typically wear a US size 8 and best fit in the size 39 classics.

I bought the size 40 sprints first and they were horrible for my particular foot. My foot is on the cusp of wide but not quite. I have no problems with the shoe tending to slip off and hence have no need for the sprint which fit really bad in the heel and with the strap.

They fit me pretty snug.

They do get smelly and such very quickly so you have to wash them often, but they wash easily and I just take them in the shower w/ me and use some shampoo on them lol.

I definitely recommend them and got use to them really quickly surprisingly, although running is still very tough (Pose) but I haven't been working on that much lately.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Lei Fei

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
From what I remember reading, you want them to fit "like a glove" when you first buy them.

I forget what size mine are, but they were snug enough around the pinky toe to cause some pain, but fit great everywhere else. Now, either by conditioning my pinky, or by stretching/wearing them in, I don't experience the pain any more.

But generally you want them to fit when you buy them. They are flexible enough to "give" if your feet swell up -- I never thought of that -- but other than that pinky toe, I don't think mine have really been broken in at all really. So I think overall what you get at the store is what you get in the end.

Edit: That was a terribly written post, but hopefully you could follow it. Sorry, it's 2 am
Elliot, I have the same issue with my Vibrams causing pain in my pinky toe. I tried to do POSE running in them but it was unbearable how much pressure my pinky toe was getting during ground impact. how long did it take for the pinky toe to go away for you?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

I don't remember exactly, Lei, but it's a common complaint, I think. I did my WODs in them every day, and ran in them, and all of that good stuff. I think what ended up happening was that my pinky toe just got used to it, rather than any actual "breaking in" of the shoes.

If you use them regularly, I can't imagine it will still be a problem in a month. If it is, it might be time to consider a different size, or up/downgrade to an actual pair of shoes that are POSE friendly.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
George Mounce

Profile:

I had the pinky toe problem, I loosened the side strap a little to make sure they were just enough snug, and cut my pinky toe nail. Took care of the problem.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #9
Dave Zvareck

Profile:

If you happen to try on VFFs in a store, ask if they have multiple pairs in the same size. VFFs are handmade, and with the unique design comes nuances with each shoe (if you want to call it a shoe). By trying on different individual shoes in the same size, you will be able to find the ones with most comfortable nuances for your feet. I actually went back to the store because I had the same issue with the pinky toe, but only on my right foot. The clerk said we could do an even exchange, but when I tried on another pair, I found the first pair was actually much more comfortable. The pinky toe issue went away in a day or two, and now they're great!

*Yes VFFs should fit like a glove. It's not as much that they stretch (which they do a little), but more you become accustomed to the feel. And let me tell you, they feel outstanding.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #10
Jessica Guido

Profile:

Thanks for the input, I will go by the store again this weekend and try on a few of the same "shoe" in the same size. I hate to spend that much $$ and have them still be so uncomfortable after some wear that they sit in my closet unused.