CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Dave Lowe

Profile:
Thumbs up Rogue Rings and Bar, Up Close

I recently learned of Crossfit, and have been lurking the boards and recently asking questions. One question being (wfs)Anyone seen/used Rogue Rings?

Well, from that thread, I was one of the extremely lucky people to get an early look at Rogue Fitness's new Rings and Bar.

I currently live in Wisconsin, and the delivery man had decided to leave the package on my back porch (during a winter storm, no less!). So, I didn't even realize I had the package until late at night.

These things DO get cold, as you'd expect metal will. But, perhaps due to the surface area exposed by the texturing of the metal to hold chalk, the chill went away pretty darn quick. I'd say from too uncomfortably cold to hold for 10 seconds, to warm enough to workout, in about 10 minutes of room temp and slight handling. Perfectly acceptable in my book!

Now, I'm definitely not a ring expert (these being the first rings I've ever had in my hands!). But I've done a fair amount of pulling and pushing in the gym (and Army long ago). It is from this viewpoint that I'll be talking about the rings and bar.

First, the feel. Both the rings and bar feel substantial, tough. I could probably hook my mom-in-laws single wide trailer to a ring and haul it down the road--using the Rogue Straps, no less. I have absolutely no fear that these rings or straps will fail me at any point today or the future.

While the circumference of the metal is perfect for my hands, the texture is good enough for my 6 yo daughter to joyfully hang from them, too. Her grip never faultered, and she never complained that she couldn't grip it good.

Now, I don't use chalk (haven't needed to, yet). But my grip at 270 pounds was fine. For me, the texture is just rough enough to maintain a solid grip without ripping skin. Perfect match of size and texture for me!

The chinup bar is also a functional work of art. From the photos I've attached, you can see some of the details of the strap hangers. The metal seems a bit thin in comparison to the rest of the bar, but so far it also had easily handled everything me and my daughter threw at it. I still lift an eyebrow at the thinness of the strap hangers, but someone who knows metal a lot better than me (I'm just a software developer!) did a fantastic job.

The welds on both pieces--rings and bar--are barely noticeable. And there are NO sharp edges anywhere. Very nicely done!

On to the straps. These things are completely dependable--I'm pretty sure they could hold a good deal more than my 270, and do that easily, too.

I'm a bit unfamiliar with cams, and buckles, and straps, so hopefully my photos will give you a better idea about how they work then my words. With some experimenting, I've discovered that if you attach the strap the wrong way, you get easy slippage. I'm glad it's easy slippage--I saw it happening before trusting my weight to it. Attached the right way, and it's absolutely solid--no slippage whatsoever.

The straps are super easy to adjust. While I'm currently using them in my low basement, I have no doubts that it'll be very easy to toss the straps over a tree branch in my yard come springtime. As straightforward to setup as you could want!

I'm still not quite sure how to use the strap tie-downs. In my basement, there's a LOT of strap leftover. Again, I hope my photos do these high quality items justice.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with BOTH the Rogue Fitness Rings and Bar. With this hands-on time with them, I can definitely recommend these items to others in my shoes--just getting into Crossfit and wanting an extremely dependable and easy-to-use ring and bar system. And I honestly can't see why they wouldn't do you right as you work your way towards muscle ups and kipping pullups.

If you have any questions of me, I'd be more than happy to answer them. If you'd like other photos, please let me know and I'd be more than happy to take them for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rings_hanging.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring_in_hand.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	1283   Click image for larger version

Name:	ring_rightangle1.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1284   Click image for larger version

Name:	bar_end.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1285   Click image for larger version

Name:	bar_full.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1286  

Old 01-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Dave Lowe

Profile:
Re: Rogue Rings and Bar, Up Close

Just to give you another idea on how rings can be used outside of normal ring work, I fully plan on putting together two smaller straps to use these rings for weight lifting work (low cable rows, cable shoulder work for my dumb non-functioning RC torn shoulder). The grip I get with these rings truly are good enough for me to go fairly heavy, too (where I can--stupid shoulder!--luckily pulling has no pain or ROM limitations).
Old 01-30-2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Gregory L. Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lowe View Post
The chinup bar is also a functional work of art. From the photos I've attached, you can see some of the details of the strap hangers. The metal seems a bit thin in comparison to the rest of the bar, but so far it also had easily handled everything me and my daughter threw at it. I still lift an eyebrow at the thinness of the strap hangers, but someone who knows metal a lot better than me (I'm just a software developer!) did a fantastic job.
Your not hanging the bar from the "strap hangers are you"? The straps need to go around the bar and through the "hangers". They are not "hangers" since it is not intended the bar should be suspended from them. I prefer to call them "strap keepers" to keep the strap from slipping off the bar.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Dave Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory L. Johnson View Post
Your not hanging the bar from the "strap hangers are you"? The straps need to go around the bar and through the "hangers". They are not "hangers" since it is not intended the bar should be suspended from them. I prefer to call them "strap keepers" to keep the strap from slipping off the bar.

Ah ha!!! I just got the bar--no instructions for the equipment.

Thankfully, the hangers ARE strong enough

I will now try the bar in the manner it was designed. Oh, and thanks a ton for preventing breakage of metal and flesh at some point in the future
Old 02-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Diego Piedrahita

Profile:

Hi all,

Just starting to setup my garage gym and was in search of a pullup bar and rings.....and lo and behold, both with one shot. Now my question...how does the pullup bar behave when doing a kipping pullup? I would assume it sways alot? If so, I may forgo the RF pullup and fabricate one myself.

Thanks!

Diego
Old 02-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
Gregory L. Johnson

Profile:

I haven't tried kipping on the pull-up bar myself. It is my understanding from another thread that it is possible if the bar is hanging from a short strap. Presumably because there is less room for sway. Personally I would prefer a stationary bar. However, the bar is great for creating a portable gym. I go out of town to visit my parents once a month and I now have a pull-up bar I can take with me and hang in their garage.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
William Henniger

Profile:

We have one hanging in our facility and you can kip, muscle up whatever. Your weight will keep it stable.

When we sent these out we wanted to see the reaction, prototype equipment. Ian has since had new rigging gear laser cut for the ends, the strap will loop under two pieces to keep it from rotating.

Should have some powdercoated later this week! We have been selling out of the Rogue Rings like crazy so we ramped up our manufacturing! Thanks for all of your support!

I think we are going to put a bar at the end of all 10 of our platforms at our gym.