CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
Daniel Freedman

Profile:
First, the background. I'm a newbie who has just completed 5 personal training sessions and a 4 week daily boot camp. Results are spectacular:
* 38% improvement in a benchmark workout three weeks apart
* 33% improvement on a scaled version of "Fight Gone Bad" two weeks apart
* weight, lean body weight and body fat all down

Now, the question. I'm a 49-year-old distance runner wondering how to integrate running and CF. My run times have also improved dramatically, despite running many fewer miles. (I'd fallen into the trap of too many long and slow "junk miles".)

A 41-year-old distance runner who has been doing CF
for 10 months offered me his schedule. He notes this is for a base building period and it would look different in a marathon training phase.

* SUNDAY: long run of one to two hours, no Crossfit
* MONDAY: no run, Crossfit (works out kinks from long run)
* TUESDAY: run 30-40 min, no Crossfit
* WEDNESDAY: run hard 30-40 min {hills or intervals}, Crossfit
* THURSDAY: run 30-40 min., Crossfit
* FRIDAY: {rest}
* SATURDAY: RUN 30-60 MIN., Crossfit

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

(Please don't say "dump the running" as I'm not interested in re-hashing the tired "runners v. lifters" debate here.)

What I'm looking for is input from other Crossfit runners. My goals are a marathon next Spring, lots of trail races next summer, and perhaps getting back into ultras and adventure races beyond that. So, what kind of schedule would you suggest for now? Something like the above? What modifications would you plan, say, 12 weeks out from the marathon?

(Message edited by Danfreedmn on August 16, 2007)
Old 08-16-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Try a google search for something like, " Eugene Allen run(or tri) site:crossfit.com." I did and I got this http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/43584.html

I glanced at it, it should prove helpful.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
I'm really glad for this discussion, as I'm a cyclist/newbie Crossfitter/newbie runner training for a half-marathon.

I just finished reading a bunch of the Eugene Allen posts. VERY helpful. It jives with my admittedly limited experience. I train regularly with very high-intensity sprint intervals on the cycle. On the road, I can keep up a fast pace on rolling/hilly terrain for about 2-3 hours.

This year, I just didn't put enough time in the saddle, and during a 7 day, 500 mile tour, I struggled on the hot, humid, very hilly days 4,5, and 6. Riding long is just a different animal than short and fast, and I have no doubt it's the same for running. Different stresses, different adaptations.

So I'm concentrating on building long, slow running miles, and not worrying about sprints: I can sprint. For an old broad...:-)

So FWIW, here's how my schedule is shaping up:
MON: long run
TUES: Crossfit/yoga
WED: short run/Crossfit
THURS: short run
FRI: high-intensity spin class/Crossfit
SAT: OFF
SUN: 30 - 50 mile easy cycling

This represents a lot less time on the road on my bike, and a decrease on the spin bike from 3x/week to 1x/week.

After the race in October, I expect to shift towards more Crossfit, little to no running, and pick up my spin classes again.

For me, the goal isn't to do so much Crossfit that I have no time/energy to hike, climb, run or cycle. It's to make it easier to hike, climb, run and cycle. In other words, it's not an end in itself, it's a means to an end.

Susie
Old 08-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Daniel Freedman

Profile:
I should have mentioned I'm also doing a weekly, 90 minute "high intensity" Yoga for athletes class.

I've had several false starts with Yoga over the years. For one thing, I'm not in the market for a new religion. I've sometimes had to suppress the urge to giggle during the sillier, new age chanting bits. And sometimes the instructors race through the poses, using terminology unfamiliar to me. One instructor sounded (to me) like an auctioneer speaking a foreign language.

But I finally found the right class. It helps that there are only a few students. The class takes place in the middle of a semi-private gym -- and is occasionally accompanied by the sound of weights slamming to the floor and trainers instructing their trainees. Music to my ears -- and much better than chanting! But it would probably appall Yoga purists.

Years of running have really tightened up my quads, hips and hamstrings. So CF progress has been slow on some stuff. But the Yoga has helped greatly. I encourage others to give it a try -- and to keep searching for the right instructor and class.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
Emma Wheeler

Profile:
Daniel, I'm attempting to combine running and CF too, I run mainly 5 and 10K races with the odd 10 mile and 1/2 marathon. I'm currently doing 4-5 CF workouts a week (scaled) plus the 10K training program from the Furman Institute (FIRST). These guys developed a marathon training plan based on 3 sessions a week, plus 2 hard cross-training efforts. They've now developed training plans for more distances:

http://www.furman.edu/first/ (w/f/s)

It's early days, but I'll let you know how it goes. I'm also learning Pose technique too, which I hope will help with injuries and race times.

good luck & keep us updated!
Emma
Old 08-17-2007, 06:38 AM   #6
Tom Rawls

Profile:
I too am trying to integrate Crossfit w/ my main "sport," erging. The erg is easier on old (61 yrs) bones than running. I'm having a difficult time getting the balance right, in large part because of recovery time. Any day I try both Crossfit and erging, I almost always need a full day to recover. I've been trying to lift heavy (for me) twice a week, but I may reduce that to one.

Anyway, I'm still fiddling with the routine. I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you guys.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:21 AM   #7
Kevin Platt

Profile:
Daniel

Yeah it is tough to balance the sometimes conflicting demands of running and crossfit. My first thoughts on the program:

1) I am assuming that you have a good solid base in running but even if you do I would be slightly worried about the amount of rest that is built into this program, to me it does not appear enough;

2) The Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday runs appear to me as running (no pun intended) the risk of being the junk miles you wanted to avoid in the first place. The Wednesday run looks good in terms of having a clear purpose but the three runs indicated above need to have a better purpose ie tempo, fartlek etc; and

3) All that being said someone has used this program just ensure that they had the same running experience and base as you or as I indicated you may run the risk of injuring yourself as there does not appear to be enough programmed rest.

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:30 AM   #8
Daniel Freedman

Profile:
Kevin:
Thanks for your helpful comments. There is a big "oops" in what I wrote above. I should have indicated that the Saturday run is a tempo run.

Emma:
The Furman program looks more than interesting. It could be exactly what I'm looking for! Many thanks.