CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-27-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
Has anyone ever used Team Quest's Strength and Conditioning DVD, and if so, how were your results? I have ordered the DVD, and I am interested in your opinion on it for MMA.

Disclaimer: I am not advertising their DVD, I believe Crossfit is probably the best MMA workout availible but I was just interested in anyone results with the workout.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:09 AM   #2
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Crossfit isn't a MMA workout.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
Matthew, I know that. My point was that Crossfit is probably the best fitness program for a Mixed Martial Artist, because of it's ability to raise a fighters overall fitness level. As we all know, BJ Penn and Chuck Liddell are both Crossfitters, and are both at the top of their respective weight classes (hopefully BJ will reclaiim the welterweight title in UFC 63).

What is the best MMA workout in your opinion, you are very knowledgable on the subject.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Crossfit is a great general conditioning program for fighters. My fighters have not gassed out in a fight since starting Crossfit conditioning workouts. But it is a small part of their total training program.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
What other kind of training do you have them do?

I am certainly not a 'Fighter' yet (because I have only been training for 2 months), but my conditioning program is simply Crossfit+MMA training. Is there anything else I should add to increase my conditioning? Maybe some sandbag training or something along those lines? Right now, I am trying to work up to level 3 of CF North's Standards
Old 08-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #6
Mark Dowst

Profile:
The Team Quest Workout DVD is a great start for MMA conditioning. The circuit that they have is straight from a wrestling program designed to raise lactic threshold. I personally believe the conditioning needed for wrestling far outweighs the conditioning in the striking arts and grappling.

Mixing a high intensity wrestling circuit with timed intervals of sparring with fresh people for striking and grappling will be a good start for a program. I would also suggest some max singles of the power and oly lifts.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I actually edited and co-produced the Team Quest Strength & Conditioning DVD. There are some good drills and routines on there - lots of box jumping drills, good weightlifting circuit, etc.

One word of caution, though -- I would take their form with a giant grain of salt. Really scary form on some of their stuff.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:17 AM   #8
Mike Kirkpatrick

Profile:
Becca, that's awesome. In your opinion, would it benefit me more for MMA than Crossfit? I am pretty sure it isn't in the same league as Crossfit as far as overall conditioning, but this may sound stupid, but I am really getting serious about Muay Thai and BJJ right now (again, I have only been training for two months, but I believe that if I am consistent and give it my all, I can eventually turn into a good fighter).

As far as form, I'll definitely be careful and let someone watch my form the first few times.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
Becca Borawski

Profile:
There are certain drills that they do that would be really useful for MMA -- like the penetration drills they do with the harness to help with your shoot -- but otherwise, most of what they're doing is what I would consider elements of CrossFit. So I wouldn't recommend doing it instead of CrossFit, but perhaps incorporating parts of it into CrossFit.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:34 PM   #10
Mark Dowst

Profile:
Becca,
the Team Quest DVD was one of the most professional looking instructionals I've seen to date. Good job.

Mike,
I recommend the book Strength Training for Sport by William J. Kraemer. Everything the guy writes about training is golden and he has the expirience. One reason I liked the Team Quest DVD so much is that the wrestling program in Strength Training for Sport was very similar to his program to raise lactice threshold. I figure Randy modeled his grappling circuit off of a olympic wrestling program much like the one in the book.

Crossfit in my opinion is the best program to prepare you for an unknown task ahead, but you want to specialize for MMA. My advice is join a local wrestling club because decent wrestlers can win on pts in amatuer events and it will keep you from being dominated. Once you can control whether the fight stays standing or is grounded focus on your finishing game. Muay Thai and BJJ sets you up to losing a decision without a good wrestling base. Train alot of nogi, focus on open guard for sweeps and getting to your feet. Lose as much weight as possible while maintaining your strength, build a strong core and shoulders.