CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-04-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
Ethan Brooks

Profile:  
I'm a LCpl in the Marines from Annapolis MD. I'm just starting Crossfit and it looks great, but the WOD seems kinda short for a daily workout. Should I supplement, and if so, how?
Old 05-04-2007, 06:57 AM   #2
Chris Stowe

Profile:
Are you doing the warmup prior to working out? Are you doing the workouts as prescribed, doing all the reps with strict form, and doing all the reps required with the correct weight? If you are, then there are a number of things you can do to suppliment. You can also improve your time from workout to workout, you can increase the load, and you can perform skill or progression work in your warmup, depending on what you want to work on. (Oly lifts, ring skill progressions, planches, etc) Or, if you feel like a particular WOD was "light" for you... do it again in the afternoon. There are many ways you can add/suppliment your workouts if you feel they arent taxing you enough. But I would suggest you take a hard look at how you are doing the WODs themselves first, and honestly assess how strict you are doing the movements, how quickly you are burning through the workout, and how you feel when you are done. Once you have assessed that, you can manipulate your warmup/skill work/WOD to your liking. Hope that helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I am sure that there are many other out here more experianced than me, that can weigh in on this as well.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
Christina Von Rassler

Profile:
I've been wondering this too. I've been doing CF 2x a week at the local CF and totally love it. I've wondered about cardio. I run 30-40 min. 4-6 times a week but I've added a few pounds since crossfit ( I know it's not only muscle, darn). Would you long timers suggest adding weight training days to my work outs? I'm also considering adding more CF days . Any suggestions are sure appreciated.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
Ethan Brooks

Profile:  
Thanks Mr. Stowe. I was kind of expecting someone to tell me that there's a whole other part of the workout that I forgot to read or something. As long as I know I'm not missing something, I have a lot more confidence in what I'm doing with the program.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
Connie Morreale

Profile:
many many many crossfitters supplement the wod's with thier own workouts. many are into team sports and do sports specific training in addition to team training.
many people work on certain skills in addition to the wod.
many do parkour or martial arts.
there is even an ultra runner among us who trains many miles a week above and beyond the wods.
i personally use crossfit to supplement my active lifestyle. i teach cycling classes, trail run, do 5k's and 10k's and hike a lot.
from a weight lifting/strength training standpoint, you will find there is little need to add to the wod's as they are well thought out to bring you muscle balance over the course of time. however, if you are excetionally weak in one area, as i am with pull-ups, then you may want to work that by greasing the groove (google or do a message board search).
if you cruise the message boards, you'll find your question has been asked again and again. and some version of my answer has appeared many times by many folks.
----------------------

dy try n
Old 05-04-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
Russell Greene

Profile:
Most people who want to do more aren't very good at what they're already doing.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Tom Brose

Profile:
Word Russ. Skill work, sport, martial arts all can be used to supplement the workout. I like the ME protocol, working in a few extra heavy days per week.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
Connie Morreale

Profile:
russell,
why would you say such a thing. on what do you base that statement?
i believe most crossfitters are so hard core they WANT to do more. just look at all the guff coach gets for insisting on rest days a couple times a week.
catra corbett is the ultra runner i referred to earlier. she has run the western states 100 (thats miles, not meters) almost half a dozen times. she runs up to 4 100 milers in a year.
i enjoy being on trails. i enjoy cycling, both mountains and roads. i'm also 45 years old and can deadlift and bench my weight (i'm 130 so i use 135). i do box jumps on a 24" box and can clear a box 1/2 my hieght (32 inches). my pull-ups suck...i can only do 8 dead hangs, but i can ascend a ten foot rope. i can also kick most anyone's behind with my krav maga training. i resent you saying that i'm not good at what i do. stack me against 95% of women half my age and i'll clean thier clock.
maybe i could even clean yours.
--------------------------------------

dy try n
Old 05-05-2007, 01:34 AM   #9
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Just my guess, but I think he was talking about adding to the WOD.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:57 AM   #10
Russell Greene

Profile:
Connie,

First of all I said, most, not all, so there is no reason to get offended.

Secondly, I was specifically referring to people who recently started Crossfit who think that the WOD isn't "enough." They usually haven't approached Crossfit with enough intensity or consistency to understand how hard it actually is. Once they do so it almost always takes a few months of acclimation in even the most-highly trained athletes, or of reduced frequency or intensity workouts, before they can do the workouts as prescribed on top of other intense training.

I have noticed that the people who really obsess about "how much", rather than "how well", do so to the detriment of their own fitness. Furthermore, the people who do extra strength and power work usually seem to outperform those who do extra endurance work. Again, not with necessity but with probability.

Probably 99% of those who feel the need to add extra cardio to Crossfit, who aren't competing in long distance events, would be far better off working on their olympic weightlifting, sprinting, and gymnastics ability.