CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
Stuart Brauer

Profile:
Lifting Platforms (stall mat distance between plywood)

What is the recommended distance between each piece of plywood? Right now we have 8ft of stall mat between each platform, but I think we could double our space by only having 4ft of stall mat.

It appears that two athletes working side-by-side wouldn't be interfering with each other's barbells if only 4 feet separated them but I wanted to get some opinions.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Lifting Platforms (stall mat distance between plywood)

If you go with 4' between platforms and have "bouncy" (read: hi-temp) bumpers, you will need to make sure that your athletes all follow their bars down... dumping can be hazardous, especially with a sideways hop.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: Lifting Platforms (stall mat distance between plywood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Brauer View Post
What is the recommended distance between each piece of plywood? Right now we have 8ft of stall mat between each platform, but I think we could double our space by only having 4ft of stall mat.

It appears that two athletes working side-by-side wouldn't be interfering with each other's barbells if only 4 feet separated them but I wanted to get some opinions.
This was a question on the CSCS exam and I'm pretty sure I got it wrong! I'm accustomed to lifting in very tight spaces - platforms that are 8' wide with zero to two foot of clearance on each side. At Mike's Gym we lifted with up to 12 people sharing 4 platforms, 8 barbells, in about 350 sq. feet of space. I'm not saying I recommended this for a Crossfit gym, but I've seen it work in an "I lift then you lift" workout.

You can get an idea of how tight it was in this video. Jump to the 40 second mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU3f1W1cqA0
link is work/family safe

Platforms that are 16' apart on center seems overly generous to me. I don't see a problem with platforms that are 12' apart on center.

Regardless of what you ultimately decide, you do need to instruct your lifters to use common sense. They should not let their barbells bounce all over here and gone; they should show some control. They also need to show common sense by not walking into the path of a barbell that is in use, to be aware of their surroundings.