CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
I really want to give IF a shot and see the benefits. My concern is that i am already extremely lean. Im 6'1 165lbs. And i am an EXTREME hard weight gainer. I can eat and eat and eat and never put on a pound. Some say its a gift, while i say its a curse!!!!! Anyways i dont want to lose any weight, so is it possiable to include IF in my diet and not lose anymore weight??
Old 02-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
weight is all about calories....so you can IF...but then you have to eat the same amount of calories in a smaller time window.

As for the gaining...you still dont eat enough...and it's hard to eat enough when you eat all healthy...so you can gain weight if you add the shakes with milk, loads of healthy fats, chicken dipped in almond butter. There is no way you can take in 5000 cal a day and not put on weight...unless you are exercising way too much and in that case you would need to workout less.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:37 AM   #3
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I'm of a similar build to you (6'4", 175).

Mike has it, 4500-5000 seems to be the magic number. Average that per day and the weight should come. Maybe do a largely alternating IF. 2000 cals one day, 8000 the next.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #4

Profile:
Man adding another 2000 calories to the diet seems hard. I prob average about 3000 right now. I am just not real sure how to add more calories to my diet. heres an example of an eating day for me:

Breakfast: 5 egg whites
2 whole eggs
large apple
handful of almonds
16 oz of OJ

School

Lunch: 2 4oz Pork Chops
Apple Sauce
Bag of Veggies (with oil on top)
banana and grapes
handful of veggies
Workout

Post workout shake
4 scoops of whey protein and water
(comes out to like 450 calories)

Snack: 5 oz chicken breast
bag of veggies with oil on top
handful of nuts
Dinner: 5 oz hamburger
large sweet potatoe
veggies

Before Bed: Handful of nuts...

So if i am going to try and consume over 5000 calories in a short window where and how can i consume and put down more calories????

Old 02-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #5

Profile:
oh and i also exercise about an hr a day 4 days a week..
Old 02-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
"So if i am going to try and consume over 5000 calories in a short window where and how can i consume and put down more calories????"

Good "bleeping" luck....You cant...unless you eat tons of the unhealthy calorie density stuff...thats why doing all those metcons will never put on serious mass on you. Look at someone who put on 20lbs...chances are...they lift heavy...2-3x a week only....do little to absolutely no cardio...and eat anything and everything.....sure you put on fat...but stripping away the fat is the easy part. Plus I dont know how many grams of protein you get a day...but unless you are 1.0-1.5 g/lb of bodyweight....you are not going to grow.

So you see the problem...if you are looking to put on 30lbs of muscle and keep the same body fat....you have a lot of work to do....but you have to see what is happening to your body and why. Hardgainer is an excuse...if you do 4 metcons a week...you need like 3500 calories just to break even!! Alternate weeks....eat more...exercise less...it's a simple math formula that works all the time...and people that keep saying "hardgainer" are just afraid to do the math.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #7

Profile:
Yea i def agree with ya ther mike. I dont do any metcon workouts to the exception of one every couple of weeks. I focus a lot on olympic lifts and power lifting. I am really only looking to put on 5 maybe 10 lbs the most.. Nothing huge, just wanna get to about 175....

So bascially your suggesting to just eat everything and anything thats in sight. healthy or not JUST EAT??

Oh also can you email me your email address mike? Mine is at Southernfitclub@aol.com I would love to talk about this in depth if we can.. thanks!!