CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-28-2005, 07:15 PM   #1
tanner thrash

Profile:  
I was running about 2miles a day and doing about 60 situps and about 40 pushups and doing some light weights.im getting slimmer but im still kinda big.so if there is anyone that used to be big and now your slender plz help me out.i need some motivation and a workout.

Im in the Army National Guard.I havent gone to Bootcamp yet but im trying to get into good shape before I go to Ft.Leonard Wood.I was 251 lbs. before i went in and now im about 210.Here is my problem and maybe some of you have experienced the same thing.I feel unmotivated now for some reason.Im not having second feelings about joining I just need some motivation and i also need a good workout that I can do at home cause i cant afford a gym membership.plz help me out.also maybe if anyone of you are in the military and have a good workout can I have it please.Thank you for taking the time to read this...HOOAH Det1 870th. MP Co.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:19 AM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Tanner,
Welcome.
This is the same question you asked in your other thread, so I'm going to combine them and delete the other one.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
Erik Davis

Profile:
Well man, whether you realize it or not, the motivation is there. You have already dropped 41 lbs, congratulations. And the fact that you are posting this here means that you must have some interested in improving yourself further ;)

Really though, motivation comes from within. Thats the strongest form, because without your own desire nothing else matters. I think you have that, if I were you I would just focus on what your goals are, both short term and long term. Don't make a goal such as "lose 15 lbs in 10 weeks", because that goal may or may not be possible. But regardless, you have less control over it than you may think. Make a goal about things that you absolutely have control over, i.e. "eat the zone with only 1 cheat meal per week", "work out 5 times a week", etc. First you find where you want to be, then you find how you want to get there, and then your goal is to stick to the plan. I think that you have the capacity to do this, and I wish you luck with your training.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
Allen Yeh

Profile:
31B hooah (don't let anyone catch you saying that at Fort Lost in the Woods until the drills feel you've earned it!) If you're lucky you'll go to A-787...if your not you'll be stuck in the 795th heh...anyway enough memories...

You might feel unmotivated because you have gone too hard too long with no break? Getting enough sleep? eating enough? if you were running 2 miles everyday that seems to be a lot. I would say find all the WOD's that dont really involve weights and do those. Have any friends to bark at you and push you? That will help a little.

good luck to you and if your lucky you'll be an alpha gator too..heh.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:45 AM   #5
Don Woodson

Profile:
Motivation you have to come up with by yourself.
Ya gotta want it. Ya gotta want it more than anything in the world. Your biggest obstacle is always "yourself". Laziness is the enemy and is to be distained. There's no room for it in your life.
Likewise, pain is your friend. Pain teaches you more about yourself than anything else in the world. Learn to seek pain. Embrace it.
Just keep telling yourself, "Suck it up, buttercup".

Start off with Lynn's FAQ page, lots of pain can be found there: http://www.mitymous.net/weights/xfitfaq.htm
Take a look at the videos at the bottom, especially "Fight Gone Bad".
Then go back to the main page and click on "Iron", by Henry Rollins. Good motivational reading.
Good luck!
Old 07-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
Mark Roughton

Profile:
Check out Dan John's articles on motivation:

http://www.t-nation.com/ALSAuthor.do...0John&pageNo=1

Think "Alpo."
Old 07-29-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
I agree with Allen. Try to find as many of the WODs that you can do at home and use those instead of repeating the same thing day in and day out. The variety of Crossfit keeps things fun (ok, maybe in the sense of "it doesn't have to be fun to be fun," but still).
Old 07-30-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
dan santini

Profile:  
tanner,
here is a thought to get you motivated. drill sergeant is definitely going to notice you if you get out of shape before you get to boot camp. 60 sit-ups and 40 push-ups to start is going to keep you out of the remedial pt group or the "fat body gang", but if you let your fitness deteriorate from the point you are at it could be a long basic training for you. you do not want the drill sergeants paying one bit more of attention to you than absolutely necessary!
tanner, push-ups-65 and sit-ups 85, would be a goal that will keep you in the good graces of the drill sergeants as far as pt is concerned. every rep above that would be gravy.

*as far as workouts go this website has all sorts of workouts you can do w/out belonging to a gym. go into the archives or just modify the wod's however possible to accomodate your weights at home or "lack thereof".
that being said, i am proud of you for joining the service and good luck making sure the drill sergeants don't *%$# w/you.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:59 PM   #9
NICK STEINBACHER

Profile:  
hey whats up,

I just graduated osut (basic and ait combined into one long basic) if that makes sense, anyways if your running 2 miles a day and doing what you say you will be fine, on one condition as long as you are doing your push-ups to standard, a little past 90%, on sit-ups make sure your hands are interlocked behind you head, on the run 2 miles in under 16:00 min and work up to farther distance. With that you should be fine for basic, its called basic for a reason to cuz they only expect the min. at first from you. Basic isn't bad its kinda fun cuz you get in great shape no matter what just take everything in stride its for a purpose. Have fun to cuz you only get to do it once.

-frankenstein 2/5 CAV. 1st. CAV
Old 08-10-2005, 02:25 AM   #10
Brian White

Profile:
Tanner,

First things first, welcome to the family. We're all brothers and sisters in uniform, and anyone willing to take that first step and join has my admiration and respect.

Basic training, no matter what service you join, is essentially a mind game. The Drill Instructors have a very limited time to accomplish some pretty hard tasks - get rid of your sense of individuality, build a sense of "service before self" and what it means to be part of a team, and then rebuild you into an individual again, but one that can operate as part of a larger entity. The best way to do that is through carefully applied shared misery, particularly of the physical variety. There's nothing like commiserating about common aches & pains and bad things you'd like to do to the Drill Instructor to get a group of strangers working together. As long as you keep in mind that 1) it's not personal, ever and 2) you will never be asked to do the impossible (no matter what your aching legs or arms might be telling you at the moment), it's relatively easy to lose yourself in the moment and keep plugging.

That's the true challenge of boot camp - letting your body prove your mind wrong. You enter with preconceived notions of things you "can't" do - 10 pullups, 50 pushups, a 2 mile run in 12 minutes, whatever. Once you give yourself over to the process, you'll discover your body doing things your mind would otherwise not allow.

As for motivation to keep preparing and keep working out, you've already got it. By starting and asking for advice, you've proven to to the world you're ready and willing to get it done, now you just have to prove it to yourself. The hardest part of working out is putting your shoes on - once you get off the couch and get dressed and moving, the rest takes care of itself. Every time you do it, that's a victory - you've beaten laziness, something a large percentage of our population is unable to do. View every workout as a challenge to overcome, and each workout becomes an accomplishment to be proud of. That pride will become its own motivation.

I just realized how much I wrote. Pretty verbose for a new guy, but I hope some of it helps. Remember this - every time you think or hear the word "can't," answer with "I will."

Semper Fi brother.