CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Joseph Alberga

Profile:
Rest Between Reps in High Squat Volume

Hi all. I'm in the last week of the base cycle of the Smolov squat program, love-hating every second of it. The base cycle requires 4x9 1 day, 5x7 the next, 7x5 the next, and 10x3 the last. The %1RM gets high at the end. When it comes to the higher rep sets (the 4x9 and the 5x7), I'm able to complete them each time so far (I'm in the last week), but I have significant rest between reps. For example, in the 5x7, I find myself doing the first 3 or 4 at a normal pace, then resting with the bar on my back up to 7 seconds at times to finish the final 1 or 2 or even 3 reps (or 4 if doing the 4x9). Is this standard, or would this be considered too much rest between reps, and failing the sequence?

I'm kind of also asking, for a true 3RM/5RM/10RM, how much rest between reps can you take with the bar on your back to count it as true?

All thoughts/comments appreciated.

Thanks!
Joe
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: Rest Between Reps in High Squat Volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Alberga View Post
Hi all. I'm in the last week of the base cycle of the Smolov squat program, love-hating every second of it. The base cycle requires 4x9 1 day, 5x7 the next, 7x5 the next, and 10x3 the last. The %1RM gets high at the end. When it comes to the higher rep sets (the 4x9 and the 5x7), I'm able to complete them each time so far (I'm in the last week), but I have significant rest between reps. For example, in the 5x7, I find myself doing the first 3 or 4 at a normal pace, then resting with the bar on my back up to 7 seconds at times to finish the final 1 or 2 or even 3 reps (or 4 if doing the 4x9). Is this standard, or would this be considered too much rest between reps, and failing the sequence?

I'm kind of also asking, for a true 3RM/5RM/10RM, how much rest between reps can you take with the bar on your back to count it as true?

All thoughts/comments appreciated.

Thanks!
Joe
My personal opinion is that so long as you don't rack the bar, take the time needed. Eventually you'll get to a point where the longer the bar sits on your back, the more it will wear you out. So, if it takes you 5-7 sec to be ready for the next rep, then so be it. I would definitely try and go at a more stead rate through your set, though.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
Matt Thomas

Profile:

If you haven't re-racked it counts!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

When I do a 20 rep program there is an easy 8-12 second rest between the last 3 reps. I count em
Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #5
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

This is all good news. Thanks all.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Just curious - did you get this figured out?

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=85008 wfs
Old 11-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Just curious - did you get this figured out?

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=85008 wfs
Well, not really. I may have described it poorly. Unless the pain is radiated way off the spine and into my side, I really don't think it's a spinal issue. The pain is right in the intercostal space of my bottom 2 ribs on my left side. Because it was only mostly noticeable on a sneeze, my coach (and physical therapist) said he believed it was mostly a pleural space issue. I think because of the constant squatting, I bruised a rib or intercostal muscle with my belt. I use an Inzer Forever leather belt, so its pretty hardcore. The pain has since lessened, but isn't completely gone.

I'm an idiot, I have no discipline, and I always plow through pain. Because of this, one day, I may or may not pay a price. Don't judge me... I like to move weight and I like to do it hard, fast, and often
Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
Drew Watson

Profile:

Tomorrow starts smolov week 3 of the meso for me.

My reps start to get spaced apart, but the point of the programming is just to hit the reps, no matter how long it takes. My 10x3 days are approaching 2 hours in length, and have hit that in past runnings. Good luck brah, cognrats on getting this far, youll love the boost in squats you get.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Joseph Alberga

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Watson View Post
Tomorrow starts smolov week 3 of the meso for me.

My reps start to get spaced apart, but the point of the programming is just to hit the reps, no matter how long it takes. My 10x3 days are approaching 2 hours in length, and have hit that in past runnings. Good luck brah, cognrats on getting this far, youll love the boost in squats you get.
Just finished my last 10x3, pulling off rep/sets I would never have thought do-able and would never have thought to program. Scheduled to re-establish my 1RM in 7 days, and I. Can't. Wait. Never felt this strong. Good luck to you, stay under the bar!

Joe