CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Daniel Navarro

Profile:
OH Squats

So I did (tried) these for the first time yesterday, and first off....holy crap, these are harder than some make it look.

I didn't realize how much is involved when doing these. I was only able to do 85lbs. When I tried 95, I was super shaky. I thought my f. squat was weak...yeah, my OH squat is borderline embarrassing.

I noticed that I am having a hard time with my balance, which is what is holding me from doing more weight. In general, I have pretty good balance, but apparently not when I am holding a bar over my head.

I don't have any footage, but do you guys have any recommendations?
Old 11-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: OH Squats

Without any kind of video or firsthand knowledge of your form, can't really say specifically.

I will say that the most common issue I see with people trying OHS without coaching (or with coaching that doesn't understand the cause/effect) is with hip flexibility or stability. You want to be able to have as vertical a torso as possible while also dropping your hips more or less between your heels (i.e., more like a front squat than a back squat). This minimizes the load and torque the shoulders have to bear.

Also, OHS takes a larger amount of core strength than comparable BS or FS.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Daniel Navarro

Profile:

That makes sense. One thing the coach mentioned was that when starting to go down, I started bending at the knees. When I started bending at the hip, I did notice an improvement in my balance, but I can tell I need to work on my flexibility.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
Dakota Base

Profile:

What part was shaky? One thing that I notice with some guys doing Overhead Squats is that they hold the bar with a grip too narrow, making it difficult to stabilize. I like my hands far enough apart that my shoulders lock against the back wall when I dip down (think about a jerk or snatch catch).
Old 11-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Daniel Navarro

Profile:

The shakiness is in my arms. My hands are a little outside of my shoulders. Maybe I should try to get them a little wider.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Navarro View Post
The shakiness is in my arms. My hands are a little outside of my shoulders. Maybe I should try to get them a little wider.
For sure you should. To figure out your grip width in general, put the bar in your hip crease and slide your hands out till your arms are straight.

I'm 6'2" and I have a collar to collar grip - my avatar pic is a snatch but I'd OHS from the same width.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
robin finlayson

Profile:

at 6 foot I go just inside of collar to collar. try that grip with a dowel. get into a full squat position and find your balance point to where you can sit comfortably. Have a spotter view you from the side and let you know when your arms are in line with your ankles. jumpin gup in weight befor you can sit comfortably with the dowel will just cause more grief.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
Lance Neumeyer

Profile:

Trying to pull the bar apart (pulling your hands wider) helped my stability
Old 11-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Daniel Navarro

Profile:

All good tips, thanks guys. I'll give them a try.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
Andrew G Parker

Profile:

Wide grip, push out, push up, tight core...