CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Arthritis from intense workouts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Schultz View Post
This makes sense, but at the same time, I'm not sure this is relevant since I wouldn't exactly say that CrossFit is necessarily intrinsic to being a human.

Thanks, Chris. This is my worry - maybe moderation is the key?
I wouldn't worry about it because there is no way to know for sure what the cusp is. Just train using good form, periodize your training to some degree, and then let the chips fall as they may.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
Michael Pollak

Profile:

i have suffered from arthritis.... synvisc injections in both knees... degenerated lower vertebrae, shoulder, on and on....
i used to power lift and eat "clean" and had problems so i switched to light circuit training and lots of globe cardio and got worse!

then about two years ago i went strict pale, no grain, no dairy, and for me no nightshades.... then started to Crossfit

i am pain free...RX medicine free for the first time in 10 years, and at 51 years old, i just nailed Fran in 3:09( strict pull-ups no kipping with my shoulder), squating 455, dead 505, strict press 225... and whip most of the 20 somethings in most all WODs
so for me i can conclude that my diet was key and the short intense heavy workouts from Crossfit have saved me.... mostly i just feel great!!!!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I wouldn't worry about it because there is no way to know for sure what the cusp is. Just train using good form, periodize your training to some degree, and then let the chips fall as they may.
And to clarify, I think strength training is key to long term joint health. I believe taken to the extreme it can cause long term issues, but practiced intelligently it can actually improve mobility and heath in one's advancing years. I truly believe form is a HUGE component. Most issues occur with form breakdowns that are especially prevalent when loads which cannot be handled with proper form are used, or when the trainee is simply ignorant to, or misinformed about what proper form is.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #14
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pollak View Post
i have suffered from arthritis.... synvisc injections in both knees... degenerated lower vertebrae, shoulder, on and on....
i used to power lift and eat "clean" and had problems so i switched to light circuit training and lots of globe cardio and got worse!

then about two years ago i went strict pale, no grain, no dairy, and for me no nightshades.... then started to Crossfit

i am pain free...RX medicine free for the first time in 10 years, and at 51 years old, i just nailed Fran in 3:09( strict pull-ups no kipping with my shoulder), squating 455, dead 505, strict press 225... and whip most of the 20 somethings in most all WODs
so for me i can conclude that my diet was key and the short intense heavy workouts from Crossfit have saved me.... mostly i just feel great!!!!
There are some who argue arthritis is caused by too much inflammatory food (Omega 6 fatty acids) in our diets and not enough anti-inflammatory food (Omega 3 fatty acids). Maybe your experience is relevant to supporting their argument. It is interesting to see a case in which the arthritic process may actually have been reversed, not just prevented. I also feel much better since I've given up grains a few years ago.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #15
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
There are some who argue arthritis is caused by too much inflammatory food (Omega 6 fatty acids) in our diets and not enough anti-inflammatory food (Omega 3 fatty acids). Maybe your experience is relevant to supporting their argument. It is interesting to see a case in which the arthritic process may actually have been reversed, not just prevented. I also feel much better since I've given up grains a few years ago.
It's unlikely that bony changes will be reversed, however the inflammatory process that causes pain can 100% improve with better nutrition.

As to the questions of, "is it worth it, and is the key moderation?" Honestly, that depends on whom is asking. Are you a top tier high school All-american looking for a free ride to school, and perhaps professional career? That answer is much different than some just "trying to get more fit, or better at CrossFit", with no financial aspects to come from the hard work.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
As to the questions of, "is it worth it, and is the key moderation?" Honestly, that depends on whom is asking. Are you a top tier high school All-american looking for a free ride to school, and perhaps professional career? That answer is much different than some just "trying to get more fit, or better at CrossFit", with no financial aspects to come from the hard work.
Right. That was probably my whole reason for asking. I'm just an old fart (okay - middle-aged fart) that doesn't really gain anything for being in better shape than anyone else in my job, my family, etc. But at the same time, it's very hard to not push it as hard as possible when trying to hit a deadlift or squat PR, for example.

Even without financial motivation - for me, it's almost worth the risk simply because I love reaching goals associated with working out. But, then again, will I regret it in 20 years from now, when I can't stand up?
Old 11-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Schultz View Post
Right. That was probably my whole reason for asking. I'm just an old fart (okay - middle-aged fart) that doesn't really gain anything for being in better shape than anyone else in my job, my family, etc. But at the same time, it's very hard to not push it as hard as possible when trying to hit a deadlift or squat PR, for example.

Even without financial motivation - for me, it's almost worth the risk simply because I love reaching goals associated with working out. But, then again, will I regret it in 20 years from now, when I can't stand up?
Only questions for you to answer....That doesn't mean, done safely, and correctly, you can do such things, and still move better than average as you age.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #18
Michael Pollak

Profile:

To add to a few of the replies above...

Yes I really watch my intake of omega3/6 ratio, and I am gluten sensitive....

I also have found that typical western diet can lead to / aggravate leeks gut syndrome and that causes all kinds of systemic inflammation

While cartilage loss and bone growth changes will not be reversed by diet, the anti inflammatory properties of eating a grain free/ dairy free/ legume free diet has in my case reversed inflammation almost totally...

I used to literally cry myself to sleep every night because my knees hurt so badly and I couldn't get comfortable.... It's sick but some days I actually was so crazed with pain that I wish I could cut my leg off!!! I need a unloader brace and cane to walk!
Fast forward two years and just last night after working a very very long holiday weekend on my feet 14-16 hours three days strait, I hit a two rep max full clean @ 225!!! Then got six rounds of OH lunges @45 in one of two WODS we preformed....

I tried everything else, combo of diet and crossfit is my Rx
Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pollak View Post
To add to a few of the replies above...

Yes I really watch my intake of omega3/6 ratio, and I am gluten sensitive....

I also have found that typical western diet can lead to / aggravate leeks gut syndrome and that causes all kinds of systemic inflammation

While cartilage loss and bone growth changes will not be reversed by diet, the anti inflammatory properties of eating a grain free/ dairy free/ legume free diet has in my case reversed inflammation almost totally...

I used to literally cry myself to sleep every night because my knees hurt so badly and I couldn't get comfortable.... It's sick but some days I actually was so crazed with pain that I wish I could cut my leg off!!! I need a unloader brace and cane to walk!
Fast forward two years and just last night after working a very very long holiday weekend on my feet 14-16 hours three days strait, I hit a two rep max full clean @ 225!!! Then got six rounds of OH lunges @45 in one of two WODS we preformed....

I tried everything else, combo of diet and crossfit is my Rx
That's awesome, Michael. Good to hear that it's worked for you.