CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Jim O'Brien

Profile:
Frequency Question

Hey guys. I have a really busy schedule and it varies quite a bit from week to week so I have found it very difficult to stick with a set program. As far as strength training goes, I found that getting in two days in the gym works well because, although the days may change weekly, I am always able to get in two days a week. I really need to up my conditioning work so I am thinking of a crossfit sort of workout three days a week. Two of the workouts will be done on the same days as my normal strength training and a third day of just "crossfit" stuff. My question is would three days of this type of thing along with two days of lifting(3 days total) be enough to make any appreciable gains in conditioning? Any thoughts on a template?
Old 11-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Frequency Question

Yes this type of plan can work.
Similar models are CrossFit Football, CrossFit Strength Bias.

Plenty of boxes program Wendler 5/3/1 and Westside Strength with 2-3 metcons a day.

You need to be careful to the total volume you do on one day. If you do 10-15 works sets for your strength followed by a short metcon you should be OK. If you do an hour of lifting followed by a 1/2 hour metcon your in trouble.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Jim O'Brien

Profile:

Thanks for the reply. I will most likely only be doing one WOD each day unless one of my training days fall on a weekend and I have nothing else to do. Are there any guidelines to programming or should I just find a site that has a daily WOD and do whatever falls on a training day? I want to avoid cherry picking and being new to this I don't know enough to program my own. I am good on strength training but no idea on how to add in crossfit. I have a really well equipped gym in my garage so I will be doing my training there.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I think it depends on your goals. If you want to continue to build strength, most of your metcons should be shorter in duration say under 12 minutes. So a good frame would be ~10 minute metcon with light/bodyweight moves, one heavy metcon under 10 minutes and one longer metcon or endurance work. If you really want to boost conditioning, and just maintain your strength than you can be more liberal in your metcon choices.

Read the Conjugate Crossfit thread to see how things have been blended with strengt.

Read the CFSB thread as well.

Check out CrossFit Football to see how John Welbourne builds the power athlete.

Wendler details how to mix conditioning/CF with 5/3/1 in the 2nd Edition of his 5/3/1 Book.

You might want to check out Outlaw, Catalyst, Golden Empire Training and SPD CF to see how strength is blended with metcons as well.