CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #141
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Renegade Diet

Let me explain this a bit further...hopefully you will understand. Fasting is good for two things. One is burning body fat, because body needs energy to function and there was no food intake and it needs energy from somewhere. And second are the autophagy pathways, this is something that makes fasting a healthy habit.

So if you are using fasting for number one, BP will ruin it, because it will provide energy from "food" and body will not need to use body fat.

But if you are using fasting as a health tool BP will not affect it.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #142
James Ammon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Let me explain this a bit further...hopefully you will understand. Fasting is good for two things. One is burning body fat, because body needs energy to function and there was no food intake and it needs energy from somewhere. And second are the autophagy pathways, this is something that makes fasting a healthy habit.

So if you are using fasting for number one, BP will ruin it, because it will provide energy from "food" and body will not need to use body fat.

Great post, I think there was a lot of confusion on that.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #143
Todd Taylor

Profile:

Quote:

Excellent thanks!
Old 10-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #144
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Im thinking about the daily calorie intake. Its fairly easy on ON/OFF days, but how about if we only do a short WOD, something only 15-30mins long, not pure "all out"...
Old 10-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #145
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Im thinking about the daily calorie intake. Its fairly easy on ON/OFF days, but how about if we only do a short WOD, something only 15-30mins long, not pure "all out"...
At the most, you should only be doing 4 high calorie days, so if that short WOD is on a 5th workout day, then I'd make it a light calorie day.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #146
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Hey Paulo, how long have you been on the Renegade Diet and what kinda results are you getting (lift improvements, weight, body fat...)?
Old 10-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #147
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Hey Paulo, how long have you been on the Renegade Diet and what kinda results are you getting (lift improvements, weight, body fat...)?
I stopped doing the fasting part, but I do follow some of the post workout carb intake. I put on some weight because I was trying to bulk up and I'm feeling a lot stronger.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #148
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

I'm going to try this. I started an office job in the spring and have always been a hard gainer but for the first time in my life I'm putting it on in the lower abs and handles. It's been long and slow but it's noticeable now as my abs are disappearing; if I flex they're still there but otherwise they be gone. Mostly as well I'm interested in the boost in energy and finally taking control of my diet. I've always just done whatever/whenever.

My only concern is the amount of carbs to get in post workout. I currently workout from 5:30-7 so I don't usually have supper till 7:30 or 8. That gives me 2-3 hours till I go to bed to jam in a ton of carbs. 6 cups of rice sounds like a lot. May supplement with ice cream if I have to... we'll see.

I'm predicting near death experiences without breakfast for the first bit but I know it'll fix itself because a long time ago I never used to eat it.

If it works well I'll get my buddies GF on it, she's been trying to lose for years so this'll be a fun experiment.

Thanks for the info Paulo.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #149
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Derksen View Post
I'm going to try this. I started an office job in the spring and have always been a hard gainer but for the first time in my life I'm putting it on in the lower abs and handles. It's been long and slow but it's noticeable now as my abs are disappearing; if I flex they're still there but otherwise they be gone. Mostly as well I'm interested in the boost in energy and finally taking control of my diet. I've always just done whatever/whenever.

My only concern is the amount of carbs to get in post workout. I currently workout from 5:30-7 so I don't usually have supper till 7:30 or 8. That gives me 2-3 hours till I go to bed to jam in a ton of carbs. 6 cups of rice sounds like a lot. May supplement with ice cream if I have to... we'll see.

I'm predicting near death experiences without breakfast for the first bit but I know it'll fix itself because a long time ago I never used to eat it.

If it works well I'll get my buddies GF on it, she's been trying to lose for years so this'll be a fun experiment.

Thanks for the info Paulo.
You will be fine, just shift your hours forward a little longer if you eat at 8PM. Breakfast will be tough until you get used to it. In the beginning, I'd recommend only fasting for 14 hours until you get used to it.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #150
Jordan Derksen

Profile:

Ya I'm planning to eat at 12 so that'll be about 14 hours if I eat a small meat before bed at 10ish.

I'm actually looking forward to having to make less food for the day at work, I'll be able to sleep in like another 10-20 minutes