CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: WOD log- paper vs. technology

Paper for both myself and my members. Composition note books that never leave the gym.

Programing is monthly on a sheet of paper designed like a calendar. It is also on our website if anything ever happened to the paper. Written in pencil so it can be erased and adjusted as we go.

As a coach making a member stand in front of me with book in hand to explain what happened last time is a powerful tool. Members pay a lot of money a month for my help. When they realize I need good records to provide that help they tend to get better at record keeping.

I do like Beyond the White Board for tracking benchmark WODs that get repeated several times. Makes it easy to see how you are doing over time. I also like the filter so I can see what other guy my age and size are doing.

Understand BWB represents an above average sample as better athletes tend to be better about tracking results.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #12
Drew Armstrong

Profile:

Jeff- I actually live in Columbia, Il now. I am a trainer at a gym in Millstadt. I mainly just w.o.d in my garage.

I heard a box opened in collinsville. Is that you that opened it?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Good old composition notebook....

I could never get used to carrying around a phone during my WO's. I workout to escape computers, electronics, phones and just reality in general.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
David Meverden

Profile:

I plan my workouts in an excel spreadsheet, as it allows for easy editing, a birds eye view, and easy cut and paste from affiliate pages (I'm using an Ultimate Advantage template and grab a lot of workouts from Golden Empire Training).

For recording performance I still use a notebook. I wouldn't want a tablet laying around while moving lots of weight and stuff and when you're exhausted or between sets it's going to be annoying to try and open your program and tap in information.

One tip I like is I leave the first 2 notebook pages blank, then create an index as I go. I number the pages and write the page number of repeat workouts in the index after I do them. I know my CrossFit total scores are on pages 12, 78, and 101. for example.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Armstrong View Post
Jeff- I actually live in Columbia, Il now. I am a trainer at a gym in Millstadt. I mainly just w.o.d in my garage.

I heard a box opened in collinsville. Is that you that opened it?
Nope, I actually work out at CrossFit Edwardsville. And my garage, but that's not an affiliate. Looking at getting my L1 when I can afford dropping the thousand bucks!

There's actually quite a few boxes around the area, the one you mentioned - CrossFit Collinsville - as well as one in Caseyville and a second one in Edwardsville.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #16
Trevor Ryan

Profile:

I use electronic. I have an iPhone and a Mac computer, so I utilize cloud technology between the two with the Apple spreadsheet program called numbers. They synch up instantly on the cloud, so I record everything in my phone at the gym as I go.

I have a few different tabs on the spreadsheet.

Tab 1 - is the workout log by day (includes columns for workout, workout results, eating clean or not, comments, etc)
Tab 2 - is my PR's and past PR's so I can easily put it into graph form
Tab 3 - is a reference of the popular WODS (girls + some heroes)
Tab 4 - is a reference of my goals for each of the main lifts and some of the WODS

For me this has worked the best because after setting up the infrastructure, the updates only take a minute to update everything and it is formatted into a nice usable sheet. For me the most effective tool for tracking.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #17
Drew Armstrong

Profile:

Great ideas. Thanks everyone!

David- I really like the idea of the index. That makes a lot of sence. I currently have a notebook for my personal log that I will keep using. I will probably use the back of the notebook for an index since I already have over a year in this book.

I may use both electonic and a notebook for a few weeks to program for classes and clients until I decide which works best for me. Most likely I will end up sticking with paper.

Thanks guys!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #18
Michael Loucas

Profile:

I just use google spreadsheets, that way I can access/edit it from anywhere with an internet connection (including my phone)
Old 01-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
Mike Piper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post

One tip I like is I leave the first 2 notebook pages blank, then create an index as I go. I number the pages and write the page number of repeat workouts in the index after I do them. I know my CrossFit total scores are on pages 12, 78, and 101. for example.

This is oustanding. My only regret is I have to finish this notebook before I can start a new one with an index.

I used to do pen an paper for BB and PL workouts back in the day. I switched to electronic versions for CF but switched back to pen and paper recently. I just didn't have time to tinker with setting up custom WODS everyday.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #20
Brad Ball

Profile:

Here is a great paper book to keep track of your WODs. Its not a big bulky book to lug around and I think they are very complete and easy to use. http://www.customcrossfitwebsites.co...-record-books/

The book includes the following sections…
Weightlifting
- Back Squat
- Bear Complex
- Bench Press
- Clean & Jerk
- Deadlift
- Front Squat
- Overhead Squat
- Power Clean
- Power Snatch
- Push Press
- Rack Jerk