CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:
Uphill Rowing Video

In the Uphill Rowing vid, Shane has it right near the beginning, when he said he had some reluctance: you might develop the bad habit of pulling yourself forward.

If you want to slow the slide, do a counting drill. It's simple. Count like this:
"Drive, two, three, four, five, Drive, two, three, four, five..." and do it sloooowly. Over and over again.

Notice that just before Dave takes the catch, he STILL lunges forward. He has to because there's no other way to come up slides for those last few inches.

On the other hand, how important is a slow recovery on an erg? If you're on the water, it's all about balance and maintaining the boat's forward motion. But if your goal is to hammer at a short piece on the erg, then maybe technique is less important.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Jason Peacock

Profile:
Re: Uphill Rowing Video

Quote:
But if your goal is to hammer at a short piece on the erg, then maybe technique is less important
But you'll see when people do this, they're actually making the rower scoot across the floor. Yeah, you can face the erg against the wall or have a buddy put his foot at the front feet, but you're wasting power.

OTOH, at that point you're yanking so hard that you're generating enough extra power to more than make up for the lost power.

But as a quick anecdote...I was doing a 250m sprint, and I rowed it "correctly" versus some monsters that were muscling through using back/arms. We ended up with the same scores, yet I wasn't nearly as strong. So efficiency is still important They could have killed it if they rowed properly but that requires training & practice....

I totally agree about the cadence though, that's exactly how I teach others: big pull, then count 1-2-3(maybe -4) on the return up the slide.

Also, I haven't seen the video, and it's hard to tell if you're saying it's good or bad from your context, but IMO having to lunge the last few inches before starting the catch is bad. There should be no reaching at the catch, by the time you get there your hips are already forward and arms are out, when your shins hit vertical your torso is locked and you immediately start pushing w/the legs and hanging with the arms.

If the rower has spent any time on the water you'll see a flourish with their hands at the catch (carried over from setting the oar in the water) but their hips/shoulders are solid and locked in.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:
Re: Uphill Rowing Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
But you'll see when people do this, they're actually making the rower scoot across the floor. Yeah, you can face the erg against the wall or have a buddy put his foot at the front feet, but you're wasting power.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
Also, I haven't seen the video, and it's hard to tell if you're saying it's good or bad from your context, but IMO having to lunge the last few inches before starting the catch is bad.
Bad. If it were in a boat, the lunge lacks control, and would lay some serious momentum in the wrong direction. In this particular care, lunging to reach the catch kind of defeats the purpose of the training.

It also looks like the erg could slip off the box, which would be dangerous. In my opinion.