CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #31
Evan Williams

Profile:
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

Lots of good reasons here why people are turned off on Crossfit. The folks that think they know it all after a few weeks at a Crossfit gym and then preach their vast fitness knowledge are a big one. Those that think there is no other way is another big one. Lots of non-Crossfitters are stronger and faster than I am (and many others out there too).
News flash: People have been getting strong or fast for quite some time. Lots of folks have even combined both those things to be fit in both those areas. The idea that everything else is crap is laughable.

That said I love Crossfit and it works great for me. Using it's programming (main site) mixed with additional strength work has been great in helping me meet my goals. I just make sure to not come off as arrogant or a know it all when people ask about what I do.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #32
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
because this ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Victor French View Post
hahahah.....you beat me to it.

When someone tells me they don't like crossfit, I usually think it's not because of crossfit itself....but because of people who think this way lol.
Oh, you guys... I'd tried to avoid using that quote when I was doing my list before, hahaha.

I am far less scared of most CF-style "metcons" than I am of 4 x 800m repeats, or hill sprints, or rowing.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #33
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Douglas View Post
People that had been lifting for years hate being told about "modal domains" etc by someone who just picked up weight training 3 months prior because it is in a trendy new package and he thinks he is elite after 90 days.

Theres nothing wrong with crossfit if you take it for what it is and stay out of the political BS, but I used to lift for strength, do a bunch of barbell complexes, then jog it off - which is not too far from what a lot of boxes do - and my first encounters with crossfit were hearing someone like I described above tell me I be so much better off if I just did random circuit training 6x a week, because it had just been invented.
Gotta love your signature. Awsome.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #34
David A Hunt

Profile:

I think that oftentimes, it's such a tight-knit community with individuals who are so passionate and excited about the lifestyle and the results that they want to share it with everyone. And we all know, that there are many individuals out there who just don't like to be told what's the best, or what's best for them or the vibe that someone is making them feel inadequate because they don't do things the CrossFit way. Of course there are the skeptics too about the programming and the occasional controversy.
I think ultimately though, anyone who hates CrossFit hasn't tried it and really made an effort to get to know the awesome people in the community!
Old 09-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #35
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
I think ultimately though, anyone who hates CrossFit hasn't tried it and really made an effort to get to know the awesome people in the community!
Amen to that statement, I couldn't agree with you more David.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #36
Clint Harris

Profile:

Some of the CrossFitters have no governor on them. This can make it very off-putting to newbies so they can't get to know the community.

It's like the people who argue politics around the water cooler. They're good people but c'mon, stop repeating sound bites and arguing the same stuff over and over. Don't care !!!

I'm not immune either - my wife and I will even get on each others nerves over this stuff. And we both love it. Enough already, there's more important stuff in the world.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #37
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hunt View Post
I think that oftentimes, it's such a tight-knit community with individuals who are so passionate and excited about the lifestyle and the results that they want to share it with everyone. And we all know, that there are many individuals out there who just don't like to be told what's the best, or what's best for them or the vibe that someone is making them feel inadequate because they don't do things the CrossFit way. Of course there are the skeptics too about the programming and the occasional controversy.
So are you saying that everyone, if they give it a chance, will love crossfit?
Old 09-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #38
Thomas Baker

Profile:

I had a drop in at my facility recently.

The guy came in 10 minutes late, decked out in compression gear, wrist wraps, the shoes, the whole deal.

Mid-way through the warmup he started coaching my people, saying that they were doing box jumps wrong (I make everyone step down unless they compete). His mechanics were pretty horrible.

Then, once the real workout started he was coaching one of my nationals rower's on how to row. And by coaching I mean yelling at her. Giving her cues that made zero sense.

After one round of the workout, he took his shirt off, threw it across the gym and started flexing his muscles hard (even though he didn't have much).

This continued for 45 minutes.

During our cool-down, he name dropped saying he worked out with famous CF people, Bob Harper, you name it. He blathered on about his fitness and how good it was.

In a nutshell, this was the "CrossFit tool" that everyone knows and gives CrossFit a horrible name. If I were to be associated with that kind of person, I would kick my own ***.

I can see why people outside of CrossFit hate it -- people like that.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #39
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

I think before you like / dislike something you have to actually define what it is.

I'm a powerlifter, and after my strength routine I'll usually hit some conditioning - like a kettlebell complex, or a ciruit of 5 different movements for 30 seconds each for 3 rounds. Did crossfit invent this stuff? No. Have I seen very similar stuff go on in a crossfit box? Yes. Does that mean i crossfit? No, means i do conditioning work.

IMO Crossfit is just a brand name. It's like saying you don't like Nike's when in actual fact you dont like any shoes.

I'll clarify that I'm fairly neutral on crossfit. I'm very happy that it's caused more suppliers to handle things like bumpers and plyometric boxes where they may not have previously. When I tried it, the things i disliked were:
1) The class style setup - ie having to workout from say 7 til 8. Sometimes life gets in the way and ya can't workout at a specific time. And some programs I've written take me more than an hour to get through.
2) Everyone on the same program even though we all had different goals.

I asked around all the CF's in my city and they all adhere to the 2 points above.

Last edited by Dylan Forbes : 09-29-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #40
Clint Harris

Profile:

Thomas - you sure that wasn't fitness lonnie ?