CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #21
Caine Peters

Profile:
Re: Why do people hate Crossfit?

pure arrogance IMO
Old 09-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #22
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I'm reading Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" the average CrossFitter breaks every rule he suggest for human interaction when dealing with people outside CrossFit.

We tend to put people on the defensive when we talk and act like anyone not doing CrossFit is inferior to us or dumb for doing another fitness routine.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I talk to a lot of different people and I can understand why some people get turned off by CrossFit. Almost every time it is due to crossfitters, not CrossFit itself. We need to do a better job and learn to be a little humble.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #24
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
One more possibility- Despite HQ's constant use of the term CVFM@HI, many people associate CrossFit with high intensity bodyweight workouts, and less so with the PL, OL and strength aspects.
We get newcomers all of the time that expect their workouts to be some variation of burpees, box jumps, double unders and maybe some KBS, and look genuinely surprised when we are lifting. If this is your understanding of CF, I can understand why athletes would think it's a joke
I think this is exactly correct, but needs to be explored just a little deeper. Why is it that everyone thinks CF is just high intensity BW grueling metcons? Because the VAST majority of CF boxes do exactly that for their programming (in my experience).

So then the questions becomes how do you define what crossfit is, especially in the eye of the popular media? It seems that it is getting defined by what the majority of gyms do. Is that wrong? I dunno, but it is what's happening.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #25
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

My favorite has been talking to a nurse that doesn't know that I know anything about Crossfit and have taken graduate level classes in exercise prescription and exercise performance and nutrition. I told her a criticism I had was doing power cleans for time not being the most effective use of the movement and that there were better ways Crossfit mainpage could use some of these movements. She tried telling me that using those light weights is going to make you stronger just like the heavy because you are doing more intensely (as was taught to her) and I retorted that maximal strength and strength endurance were two different things that are difficult to work simultaneously. She again disagreed based on her few weeks of beginning crossfit at a box and said she does maximal strength and endurance in the same session yadyadayada... I know what she was trying to say, but unfortunately too many crossfitters don't seem to understand that a few weekends at a box doesn't make you an expert in exercise (which I don't claim to be). Further she was like, "Periodize? you don't have to with crossfit and you get the same results!"

LOLOLOL I says to her, good luck with that when you are done progressing quickly over the next few months.

I think the arrogance comes from a lack of true understanding and L1 certs and general coaches can sometimes make the individual crossfitter think they know more than they do. I like the crossfit community though, because it is a great community to be apart of and I do think the average person has slightly higher working knowledge even if it is a little misguided in places. I take the good with the bad and feel other circles have more bad than crossfit does in my limited time and experience with them.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #26
Kevin Malloy

Profile:

Why do people hate crossfit? Cause its addictive and a cult. two things that happen to scare people. Once your in though you realize it's an awesome cult to belong to.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #27
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Stafford View Post
People tend to hate on things they fear or don't understand. Crossfit is hard and takes true strength from the inside and out, inner strength, that many are not willing to tap into or explore. Whether it's fear of failure, fear of change or just utter weakness, people will scoff at things they only wish they could do.

Their loss, but don't let them dictate your actions or define your thoughts, be your only person and rise above the influence.
because this ^
Old 09-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #28
Jesse Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post

So then the questions becomes how do you define what crossfit is, especially in the eye of the popular media? It seems that it is getting defined by what the majority of gyms do. Is that wrong? I dunno, but it is what's happening.

And this is exactly where I still struggle. I mean for years CF, by definition was to "specialize in not specializing" and to be "broad, general, and inclusive" but then it becomes a sport of it's own via the games and athletes do exact that- specialize and periodize!

This was exactly what critics have been saying: That you can train an athlete with such a vague objective and expect them to be anything short of mediocre. Obviously when it was turned into a sport with prize money on the line periodization is suddenly "ok"?

To me it seems like the basic principles that CrossFit was built on (and exactly what earns it so many critics) have somewhat dissolved. So whats left is basically a brand name that will leave a bad taste in my trainers/athletes mouths.

Last edited by Jesse Martin : 09-29-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #29
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
because this ^
hahahah.....you beat me to it.

When someone tells me they don't like crossfit, I usually think it's not because of crossfit itself....but because of people who think this way lol.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #30
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Stafford View Post
People tend to hate on things they fear or don't understand. Crossfit is hard and takes true strength from the inside and out, inner strength, that many are not willing to tap into or explore. Whether it's fear of failure, fear of change or just utter weakness, people will scoff at things they only wish they could do.

Their loss, but don't let them dictate your actions or define your thoughts, be your only person and rise above the influence.
This, pretty much is why people hate me. I mean I'm functional because I can throw balls off a GHD, but a powerlifter/olympic lifter/marathon runner/ etc isn't. He or she, does not get the benefits from GHD medicine ball tossing or softball throwing.

He's not elite, he's weak!

Can't help it, I've been forging for one and a half years already