CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
Sebastian Gedin

Profile:
Reaching the RX weights

Hello everyone,

I've been doing CrossFit for a little over half a year now. Lately I've been starting to want to build some real strength so that I can RX more WODs. My endurance is quite good and I can do most of the body weight exercises fairly well, but I'm really struggling with the lifts. I think my technique on the lifts is decent but I'm a small and skinny guy and don't have the strength it takes to perform them at the pre-scripted weight. I know that it will take a long time to get there but I would really like some tips on how I should programme my workouts and how I should eat. Any suggestions?

Here's some info about me that might make it easier to understand where I'm at:
Length: 6'1"
Weight: 155lb
Squat max: 240
Deadlift max: 270
Clean & Jerk: 150
Snatch: 100
Old 02-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Reaching the RX weights

I would recommend something like GSLP with 2-3x short metcons per week, and as much food as you can possibly eat. Adding 100lbs to your squat and deadlift as quickly as possible will do great things for your performance on any CF workout that requires you to move a barbell.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I would recommend something like GSLP with 2-3x short metcons per week, and as much food as you can possibly eat. Adding 100lbs to your squat and deadlift as quickly as possible will do great things for your performance on any CF workout that requires you to move a barbell.

And just remember it's gonna take time, it takes time to build strength
Old 02-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

155#?? at 6'1"? Damn! Someone get that guy some milk STAT!

GSLP is a solid choice and easy to execute even on your own. For someone as skinny as you GOMAD (Gallon of Milk a Day [whole milk]) with the Starting Strength program would be a great choice too. If I were your coach I'd want you to put on at LEAST 30#. Forty would be better. SS is perfect for that.

Really it's the calories that will make or break your progress more than the program with your lifts where they are. You should do the following: pick a program with regular big heavy lifting. Add at least 1000 calories a day to your diet. Follow the program to a T for 2-3 months (Don't do very much CrossFit). Evaluate progress. Adjust.

If you get serious about eating (I like whole milk for adding weight) you'll make progress really fast.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:19 AM   #5
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Among the previous comments that are all good, if you really want to get bigger I would lean your training toward a more strength and hypertrophy bias. Yes we all want to be conditioned but with your goals there is no resaon to be doing anything over like 10-15 minutes of a metcon. I would be keeping them short and constantly moving weight, and then also be doing repetition effort stuff before or after as well. A lot of ectomorph (skinny) guys who stay lean no matter what aren't going to build a lot of muscle performing a lot of Crossfit programming. I'm personally one of them and if I really want to keep weight on I need to keep doing accessory work in the same fashion a powerlifter/oly lifter/bodybuilder would.

That and eating like a monster.

Even the GOMAD recommendation, while some others may disagree with due to potential for adverse gut reaction because of so much dairy I still could jump in line with. I'd rather put myself through some temporary inflammation if gaining mass is my main goal and then clean it up later. I'm the same weight as you but I'm 5'8, and even then I'm by no means big at all. Crush white rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes, raw/whole oats are still gluten-free technically. Lots of awesome fats from coconut, coconut oil, avocado, bacon, meats. In your case I would even go the nuts and seeds route potentially (keep them raw and unsalted would be ideal).
Old 03-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Sebastian Gedin

Profile:

Thanks for some great suggestions!

I think GOMAD will suit me since I really like milk. When it comes to a strength program I think the Starting Strength seems good, but I don't know if I'm gonna be able to squat three times a weak. My gym doesn't have power rack and I usually workout alone half of the time. Without spotter or power rack I think it might be too risky for me to do heavy squatting. Would Wendler's 5-3-1 program work as an alternative?
Old 03-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
Cam Peavy

Profile:

5/3/1, while only squatting once a week, is still very heavy. I love the program and all of the templates that come with it though, and it might be worth a shot for you to check it out as well.

People usually say start with something very linear (5x5, GSLP), then once you plateau 2-3 times, then move to a 5/3/1 or something that doesn't have you adding weight every session.

You've been given a lot of good info here.. just start some research!
Old 03-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
David Meverden

Profile:

5/3/1 is good, but given where you are you definitely want to be squatting more than that. If you're eating for real weight gain you're body will definitely be able to recover from more than 1 squat workout a week. Stronglifts 5x5 would be another good candidate. Very similar to SS.

As for equipment:
-On Starting Strength you shouldn't be failing reps for quite a while. There's no maxing or max rep sets.
-Where are you lifting? When you say Power Rack, you mean you don't have anything with safety rails, right? If you're lifting at an affiliate then learn to bail from a squat and use bumpers. No problem. If you're lifting at home and have no bumpers then learn to bail, put padding or blocks under where the barbell would land and start squatting (padding can be carpet, cheap camping pads, gymnastic pads, syrafoam, mattress pad, whatever. Improvise. Blocks can be made out of 2x4s, plywood, whatever. You don't fail from very high in a squat so it's easy to make something that will keep the concrete from cracking and your bar from getting destroyed)
-You will find few programs that require LESS equipment than SS.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
Sebastian Gedin

Profile:

Ok, great! Now I think I'll know what to do. I'm gonna go for GOMAD and Starting Strength. Thanks for the tips on the safety issue regarding the squats!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #10
David Meverden

Profile:

Great! Keep us posted on how it goes! And FOLLOW THE PROGRAM.