CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Laura LeBlanc

Profile:
OxyElite Pro / thermogenics

My friend is really into lifting / carb cycling and told me he takes OxyELITE Pro fat burner. He suggested I try it, but I'm really not into those kinds of supplements. I'm not going to lie though..I did think about it. I was just curious if anyone had thoughts on it and whether or not thermogenics really work. If anyone has tried them before, were there a lot of negative side effects?

This is the one he takes: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/usp/oxyelite-pro.html
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: OxyElite Pro / thermogenics

What are your reasons for wanting to try such a product?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

I have not read the ingredients, but there are agents which can aid with fat loss in a limited fashion. NONE of them are magic in a pill, but ones with the proper ingredients at viable doses can aid your fat loss efforts by providing energy, reducing appetite, and sometimes a small direct effect on fat loss.

Be careful about such products because they can often contain potentially harmful botanicals and the like.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Don't bother with OxyElite Pro, it's overpriced nonsense for the results it gives.

I think there are basically two combinations that do something:

Oral Yohimbine + Caffeine: Not a fat burner per se. It is used to mobilize stubborn fat before fasted cardio. You are not at the point at which this is useful.

Ephedrine + Caffeine: Increases metabolic rate by maybe 5% (sometimes a bit more), more importantly limits metabolic rate drop. Demolishes appetite. Does a bunch of other stuff. Very powerful stimulant, a lot of bad things could happen if you exceed the recommended dosage. Do your research before even trying.

I understand you are frustrated right now with weight loss. Don't use your psychological state as a gateway into fat loss drugs. They may have a place, I am not pro or anti fat loss drugs, but it shouldn't come out of a place of desperation. I've never seen a fat loss study where the subject's caloric intake was carefully monitored and people didn't lose weight. So if you are not losing weight, dial in your diet. Even drugs like ephedrine+caffeine only provide about a 5%-10% boost in metabolic rate, or maybe 100-200 calories a day for you. Over time, it adds up, but you could as well just try to cut 100 calories first.

Last edited by Dimitri Dziabenko : 04-17-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Thermogenics is bunk. People have been trying to sell similar diets where you eat foods that "use more calories to digest than they add" and that's just plain incorrect/impossible.

Honestly, eating a clean diet is the best path to fat loss, there's no shortcuts (well, there is, but you lose muscle & fitness, and starvation is not our goal).

There's random studies which show that eating spicy food will increase your metabolism...but again, it's barely an uptick and eating poorly will more than cancel out all the chili peppers you add to your ice cream
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
Donald Lee

Profile:

The main benefit of thermogenics is the often accompanying hunger suppressing effect. At the moment, ephedrine appears to be the best legal drug for that purpose. After long-term use, you might think that it isn't working anymore, but when you don't take it one day, you'll be starving.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
Thermogenics is bunk.
Ephedrine/Caffeine is not bunk, the research on it is quite substantial actually. The commercial stuff nowadays is pretty horrible though, I agree.

Quote:
Honestly, eating a clean diet is the best path to fat loss...
I don't like that word, "clean." It seems to delineate foods into "healthy, clean, eat as much as you want" versus "unclean, unhealthy, even a bit will cause fat storage" categories, which I don't think is the correct way to look at things. It's more of a spectrum and your total calories/macronutrients matter a whole lot more. Not to mention that you can easily gain fat on "clean foods."
Old 04-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
Ephedrine/Caffeine is not bunk, the research on it is quite substantial actually. The commercial stuff nowadays is pretty horrible though, I agree.
Yeah, I was reacting more to the diet side about thermogenic foods. But I also don't like chemicals/miracle pills either.

I think we all agree that twinkies and such are total garbage and unclean - there's no redeeming value. Processed foods are the same - is there any processed food that's better than a 'natural' food? But you're right, you can still gain weight on natural foods.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Craig Horstman

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah, I was reacting more to the diet side about thermogenic foods. But I also don't like chemicals/miracle pills either.

I think we all agree that twinkies and such are total garbage and unclean - there's no redeeming value. Processed foods are the same - is there any processed food that's better than a 'natural' food? But you're right, you can still gain weight on natural foods.
twinkies are garbage? you better watch your tone there mister
Old 04-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Regardless of whether anyone has any actual postive feedback on the products, I would bet their experience/situation is different and not comparable to yours. The risk vs reward for a female already at 20% bf of taking a fat burner is simply not reasonable.