CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 10-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Jonathan Polakowski

Profile:
Squat Form Check

Posting for the first time in digital coaching. This is really light for me but I just want to get an idea of how I look as I am self taught and am doing SS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aziy5...e_gdata_player
Old 10-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Dwayne Lawrence

Profile:
Re: Squat Form Check

You are reaching a good depth but there are some things that I notice.

Try sitting back rather than sitting down. A good cue to think of would be closing the fridge door with your butt. Your second problem, knees coming too far forward, should be corrected when you sit back properly.

Not too bad though, should be an easy fix.

Good Luck!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What Dwayne said. Your knees are coming too far forward, and it looks like your heels come up on a few of those reps. As the weight gets heavier, you won't be able to get away with that.

Katherine
Old 10-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I agree with all that's been said.

To also help with the knees going forward, make sure you start the squat by bending your hip first, not your knees. Really push your butt back and then after the hip begins to bend you can let the knees bend. But once they start bending make sure you push them out to let your pelvis/hips clear your legs. Try to keep your weight either midfoot or on your heels.

Your low back rounds a little at the bottom. Focus on that arch. Depending on your goals, your depth rocks. I wonder if you came up and inch or two, you wouldn't have any rounding issues and would still break parallel.

Your rep speed is a little fast on the way down, but my guess when the weight gets heavier, that will slow down and be fine.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 AM   #5
Jonathan Polakowski

Profile:

Thanks for the help everyone. I did notice my knees falling to far forward. Just could never get a grasp of how to correct. Will be working on this. I'm hoping once my knees are above my toes then my heels will stay planted.

I'll post another bid later today. Really want to correct these maters sooner rather then later. Thanks for all the help.

Jonathan
Old 10-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Front squats can help you stay vertical -- you'll lose the weight if you're not.

I've found that thinking about driving through the heels helps as well.

Katherine
Old 10-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #7
Jonathan Polakowski

Profile:

Here's another video. I really focused on hinging at the hips before my knees start. I tried forcing the butt out and driving through the heels. I see a bit of improvement but I feel like in stuck in the bottom now and much slower like it's taking much more effort with the light weight.

Thoughts???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB2JQ...e_gdata_player

Thanks

Jonathan
Old 10-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
Zach Ballard

Profile:

There is improvement between the first and second video, but it looks like you are only kinda breaking at the hips. You need to actually start your movement by bringing them back first. You can work on this by doing air squats or a pvc pipe so you can do a ton of reps to get the form dialed in. Imagine sitting on a chair or box that isnt right under you and you have to reach back with your butt to find it. The feeling of you losing power is the fact that you are using more hamstring and buttocks and you are not used to that. Meaning you have been quad dominate, this will correct itself with proper form and will add a lot of strength to your lifts. Props for taking the time and realizing the importance of form. Doing it right the first time is a lot easier than trying to fix bad habits. Keep up the hard work.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
Zach Ballard

Profile:

Just for clarification putting the weight on your heels is important because it distributes the work throughout your posterior chain more evenly and will take strain away from your knee joint structures.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
Jonathan Polakowski

Profile:

I'm hoping I'm making improvements here. I took it all the way back down to 45 lbs I'm hinging at the hips first and everything else is following. This feel more natural then it did before. My knees are above my toes but barley. I don't see any rounding in the back but again there is no weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSt7L...e_gdata_player

Thanks
Jonathan