CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-25-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
Ben Croese

Profile:
calories!

hello.

Just another newb hopeing for some advice from all u experts at this crossfit stuff.
I'm wondering how many calories i should aim to consume? I've been crossfitting for 5 weeks (prior that i've always been very active with weights, running, boxing etc). I train at my box 5-6 days a week.

*I'm male, 28 years old, 6 foot 1, 80kg (176lb). approx 13-15%body fat.
*i'm slim but have a loose tummy that refuses to let go of the fat (i used to be very overweight as a teen). Some of the reason is stretched skin. Without beening assessed by some1 with knowledge i'd say i've got some ectomorph traits going on. my wrist measures a small 6.5 inches.
*My strength is ****. eg. back squat 85kg.
*my goals are to become stronger and basicly improve all round performace. would love to gain some muscle size too. I'm hoping to do this without gaining heaps of fat along the way.

Our sessions at the box usually include 2 lifting movements (oly, or standard strength) done 3-5sets around 3-5reps (or sometimes 2 bodyweight exercises done as superset for max reps). Then a WOD (could be anything from "fran" to whatever is made up for the day). Then finished with "core" work (ie, GHD, or situps, twists etc), or maybe something like an all out 500mtr row. Of course it's not strictly set up like that but thats a pretty good idea.

I'm currently consuming around 3000cals per day (regardless of if i train or not). the overall split of calories is around 40%Carbs, 30%protein, 30%fat. i eat clean with protein coming from leans meats, egg white, protein powder etc. Carbs from whole oats, long grain brown rice, fruit, veg etc (i ensure all carbs are low GI), fats from flaxseed oil, olive oil, fish oil caps etc.
I'm thinking of bumping up to 3250cals for a few weeks she how that goes? But any advice would be awesome!!! i'm guessing my calorie consumption so those who know their stuff i'd love to hear from you!!

cheers!!
Old 09-25-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: calories!

Yay another Aussie. You sound pretty similar to me, as do your numbers.

Answer for me was to pile on some weight, and method that worked for me was to do GOMAD for last 3 months, on top of all the food you already listed.

Everythings going in the right direction now (weights up to 95kg, lifts going north), except for bodyfat. But that'll fix itself up when I'm stronger.

Last edited by Dave Traeger : 09-25-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
Ben Croese

Profile:

GOMAD = gallon of milk a day?

wouldn't it be best to add calories gradually?? rather than all of a sudden dumping an additional 2000-3000cals on top of what i already consume? My guess is that a sudden jump like that will result in fat gain? how was ur experience?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
David Meverden

Profile:

A whole GOMAD might be a little much, but the point here is that the goal should be to build muscle. You are skinny, and while you are worried about a somewhat jiggly tummy it's doubtful that you or anyone else will care about that if you pack on 10 kgs of muscle.

How to do that? Your boxes programming sounds pretty good and will work, or to get there faster you could switch to a pure strength program.

As for food, maybe 1/2 GOMAD? Really just eat enough so that you start seeing your weight go up. I'd shoot for 2-3 kg per month if you are still doing metcons. That is fairly gradual which should allow you to pack on pretty clean weight. Of course I'd say that's a minimum. Faster would probably work out well too.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Ben Croese

Profile:

yeah good point!
i might aim for 3500cals a day regardless of if i train or not to start with. Or do i need to aim higher? i ate about 3200cals yesterday and it was a big struggle to get it all down.
Also i log my cals into an app on my phone to try n keep the balance around 40-30-30 (Carb-Protein-Fat). That sound like a good split for weight gain? Also that will blow the protein consumption well over 1g per pound of body weight. Is that recommendation based on maintaining weight?
Old 09-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Nathan Greaves

Profile:

for the OP. I did GOMAD when I was following the Crossfit Football programming. It was easier to do than youd think and the wobbly belly wasnt anywhere near as bad as I thought. I smoothed out a little but not so bad I looked like a fat guy! Plus my back squat went from 100kg to 120kg in almost no time at all.