CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Michael Loucas

Profile:
Squat Form Check Part 2

Ok, round 2. After a reset (40 lbs less) finally worked back up to the weight I was doing in my previous form check video (Link below). Took about a month to get back up because I only squat between 1 and 2 times a week. It would have been faster if I was following a more strict strength program.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68556 WFS (07/03/2011, first set of 5).

In the thread above, I got 5-4-3 when attempting 5-5-5.

This time I got what I think to be a pretty solid 5-5-5. Here is the link to it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn0mIcJF25g WFS (08/07/2011, second set of 5)

Worked on standing up fully after each rep, and trying not to good morning the weight up (although it happened on the last rep). Gonna continue to go up by 5lbs again until my form starts to degrade, or I start failing again then I may reset again and try something like 5-5-5+ or smolov or something. (Chasing a 405 squat)

Anything else I should fix?

Last edited by Michael Loucas : 08-07-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Andy Gann

Profile:
Re: Squat Form Check Part 2

Good work ...

i just noticed one thing- your head comes up as soon as you hit the bottom. Can you keep your neck in a neutral position? ideally, you could pick a spot 6 - 8 feet in front of you and keep your eyes/head fixed on the spot. Other than that, they look pretty good ... maybe your descent is a touch slow on the later reps which loses the effectiveness of the bounce. Anyways - still good work. 340# is heavy no matter how you look at it.

You might be in a position where it's hard to make gains unless you get on a program more geared towards an intermediate lifter with more of a focus on strength .. However, I saw a vid today w/ Wendler and he basically said that reps and sets don't matter, just squat, press, and pull, stay consistent over a long period of time ... (of course the weights have to be heavy ... lol) and you'll make gains.

OH - and you're chasing 405? if you're hitting 340 for reps I'll bet you've got it.... unless you're talking 405 for reps.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

First, your bottom position rocks. Depth is great, back is strong and knees are out, something I need to do better.

I feel like your not fully extended still, unless your low bar position is starting you out slighlty tilted?

I know these are tough reps, so towards the end they start to good morning a little, but I think you are getting most of your drive from the hip.

So I'd just stay sharp on what you know and keep working at it.

Great work.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
John Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
First, your bottom position rocks. Depth is great, back is strong and knees are out,
I will agree with this except for the the third part. Good depth, however, as you hit that depth, your torso is far too close to horizontal. Back is definitely strong (a weak back would not hold weight in this position) but the bottom line is that it shouldn't have to.

I don't think that you have corrected the advice of those in your previous post. As you lower, you can see your torso start to lean forward causing you to be out of position in the bottom. Because of this, your *** shoots back as you transition to the ascent and you are almost in a good morning position (as mentioned by others)

My advice would be to post a video of you doing a much lighter weight with perfect form. Then watch both to spot the differences.

Keep at it. People write books on this stuff, Rome was build in a day.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Powell View Post
I will agree with this except for the the third part. Good depth, however, as you hit that depth, your torso is far too close to horizontal. Back is definitely strong (a weak back would not hold weight in this position) but the bottom line is that it shouldn't have to.

I don't think that you have corrected the advice of those in your previous post. As you lower, you can see your torso start to lean forward causing you to be out of position in the bottom. Because of this, your *** shoots back as you transition to the ascent and you are almost in a good morning position (as mentioned by others)

My advice would be to post a video of you doing a much lighter weight with perfect form. Then watch both to spot the differences.

Keep at it. People write books on this stuff, Rome was build in a day.
I can probably get a vid up from my 300# reset. Give me a few minutes.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
I can probably get a vid up from my 300# reset. Give me a few minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRNkg3i6X4c

And here it is.