CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #21
adam adkins

Profile:
Re: Whats your take on the Zone Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
I think the Zone has merit in that it teaches one what "good portions" are. I followed Paleo/Zone for about 18 months following my Level 1 in '06. I was pretty convinced by the testimonials of Nicole C, and especially Rob Miller (the Zone was only discussed as a by-the-way). It was through the Zone that I learned roughly what a serving of meat or a serving of veggies should be (I always used fruit to supplement the veggies to get my carb blocks in...I wasn't a fan of 15 cups of broccoli).

I did evolve away from the Zone, but I often keep in my mind what a serving of steak or hamburger should be. The 40/30/30 is a great frame of reference TO START, especially for someone who has no clue about portion control, but I do agree that most people will have to adjust macro proportions depending on indiv diffs/activity level, etc.

My portion control is around a pound of meat and a pound of vegetables every meal. How many blocks is that anyway?
Old 12-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #22
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
Maybe Sears was in cahoots with HQ trying to make some money? I will say, the "results" of their athletes using the zone was quite impressive, although I'm sure many of the stories were fabricated or misleading...
They are not using the zone. They are adding a protein block or two, subbing fat for carbs 3-1, or simply 2-5x'ing the fat. After all that, it is still just doing whatever works for that athlete; which of course is normal, everyone is different. And using a crappy measuring system.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #23
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
My portion control is around a pound of meat and a pound of vegetables every meal. How many blocks is that anyway?
That is 16P and 1/2C
Old 12-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #24
Michael Jarossy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
That is 16P and 1/2C
And there's your problem.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #25
Blaine Cardinale

Profile:

Zone was alright I guess, especially when I went strict paleo while zoning. I got really bogged down with the numbers and "skinning the zone" though and got burned out.

Now, I just eat paleo, without cheat meals and no booze. It's easy for me, and I'm making even better gains, continuing to lose bodyfat and feeling great. I think paleo or primal (or at least some version of clean, unprocessed food) is the way to go.