CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Jason Calzada

Profile:
Whats your take on the Zone Diet

I have read that some people use the Zone Diet. Now i haven't read the Zone Diet yet. I have read mixed reviews on Amazon about the book. Some say its great for weight loss. Some say if you are working out it has to much of a calorie restriction and will cause you to lose muscle instead of gain. Let me know if it is worth reading.

Jason
Old 12-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: Whats your take on the Zone Diet

it's definitely worth reading, if for no other reason to get an understanding of how food affects us beyond just calories in/calories out.

As for the restriction of calories, if you increase the fat (which is not a bad thing despite what we all hear in health class... well... aside from the health class I teach, anyway :P), you'll be ok. You can also increase the protein too, if you want. In the end, it is a way of eating, and it can be tweaked to meet your personal goals and needs.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

It's ok if you're trying to lose weight and need a way to track and control calorie intake, but the "science" behind the 40/30/30 ratio is nonexistent and weighing and measuring everything you eat is an unnecessary hassle. You can get the same results by eating Paleo food choices in Zone-ish ratios.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Jason Calzada

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
it's definitely worth reading, if for no other reason to get an understanding of how food affects us beyond just calories in/calories out.

As for the restriction of calories, if you increase the fat (which is not a bad thing despite what we all hear in health class... well... aside from the health class I teach, anyway :P), you'll be ok. You can also increase the protein too, if you want. In the end, it is a way of eating, and it can be tweaked to meet your personal goals and needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
It's ok if you're trying to lose weight and need a way to track and control calorie intake, but the "science" behind the 40/30/30 ratio is nonexistent and weighing and measuring everything you eat is an unnecessary hassle. You can get the same results by eating Paleo food choices in Zone-ish ratios.
Thanks Guys. I have tried to weigh and measure food in the past, but it doesnt fit into me schedule. I will pick up a copy of Zone. I looked at Health Bent's site and they have a lot of good recipes to keep eating not so bland. So i will try incorporate the two.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Rather than the Zone book I would buy Robb Wolf's "The Paleo Solution."
Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Rather than the Zone book I would buy Robb Wolf's "The Paleo Solution."
Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
Kevin Bean

Profile:

Before Paleo took off, the Zone was all the rage around here.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:32 AM   #8
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Calzada View Post
I have read that some people use the Zone Diet. Now i haven't read the Zone Diet yet. I have read mixed reviews on Amazon about the book. Some say its great for weight loss. Some say if you are working out it has to much of a calorie restriction and will cause you to lose muscle instead of gain. Let me know if it is worth reading.

Jason
The Zone Diet is nothing more than a low calorie fad diet hiding behind a bunch of pseudoscientific nonsense and there is absolutely no evidence to support Dr. Sears claims regarding the health benefits of his 40:30:30 macronutrient ratio.

The bottom line is that people lose weight on The Zone Diet for the same reason they lose weight on any diet - they eat fewer calories.

The Zone Diet Phenomenon: A Closer Look at the Science behind the Claims.

The zone diet and athletic performance.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 12-08-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Wheeler View Post
You don't need to buy "the zone." There is plenty of info. on the web, this site, in the CFJ, etc. that the book is not necessary.

IMO, zone stinks. Just WAM using fitday if you want to count calories. If Wam doesn't fit into your schedule, zone won't either i imagine.

Buy the CFJ instead.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
Michael Jarossy

Profile:

I have to agree with all the Zone haters here. I actually did Zone for a couple months before I discovered Paleo. It's a lot of work, and Paleo is worlds better anyway. I will say one good thing about it though: It made me think about the ratios of my food. That in itself has stuck with me, and it forces me to think to myself "Hey, I've got a nice steak here, but I need an appropriate amount of veggies to go along with it."

And yeah, pick up "The Paleo Solution" if you haven't already.