CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
Matthew Karpman

Profile:
Busy Student Nutrition

I am a student constantly on the go, and sometimes I have to resort to eating a bar between classes to get some nutrition and energy. I picked up a CLIFF bar the other day, and gave it a go. I was wondering what some of you thought of it. This bar is pretty much replacing a snack between a 7:45 am breakfast and a 2:30 pm lunch.

http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_clif_bar/

With this being said, I would like to know some good snack options for me because I usually have to a long time between meals i.e. nuts/grains (which ones and how much), fruit etc...Snacking is a big part of my current diet, but I need some help so that I can snack properly.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Busy Student Nutrition

I have eaten them in the past and for what they are, tough to beat. I make food and snacks the night before if I end up working first shift. If you want to put forth a little bit of tupperware money and some effort the night before, that is what I would vote for. I don't think the CLIF bar will kill you either.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Kurt A Gross

Profile:

Most of them contain soy and sugar, so I avoid them. They do taste pretty good though. I cook ahead of time, so some cooked chicken in foil, and an apple or some nuts travel well. Hardboiled eggs are another option. A can of tuna and a swiss army knife (w can opener) in your pocket will go far if school allows a pocket knife.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Yeah, most packaged bars, while convenient, are junk. The ones that have a respectable amount of protein are usually full of weird substances, and the ones that don't have weird substances are pure carbs (i.e. Larabars).

If you have your own place or a kitchen to work, definitely learn how to cook a little and grill/roast up large batches of meat over the weekend, then put them in the fridge and grab some in foil whenever you need a snack to go. ???? Profit.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
Megan Zetter

Profile:

As a student myself, I fully appreciate the difficulty in eating properly, however you must make it a priority if it's important to you. For me it is, so I put the effort in the night before or wake-up a little early to make my food for the day. That said, I always pack a large salad, a protein source such as chicken or turkey and plenty of nuts and fruit to snack on. I seem to do okay with what I bring, yet if I'm exceptionally hungry I can often find something on campus such as cheese, hard boiled eggs, fruit and veggies. I will do a bar on occasion, but as it was said before, they are kind of junky yet, if I'm in the mood for something sweet a bar often fulfills that craving.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Zach Reed

Profile:

Also being a student, I typically pack a 2 block snack consisting of beef jerkey, almonds, and some type of dried fruit for the carb portion when I think I might be on campus long enough to need a snack. I find it mostly convenient because I don't have to worry about refrigerating it. Carrying a water bottle all the time also helps make sure you're getting enough fluids in which I find I sometimes confuse with hunger.