CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Nick Gregory

Profile:
Diet at 17

Im 17, 6'1 and about 160 on good day.
Ive been trying to figure out the right diet to help me gain weight but muscle weight and not just flab. There are so many different methods to use like driking whole milk or different supplements, im not sure what to do.

A normal day for me is:
Breakfast- 2eggs, 4peices turkey bacon, fruit, coffee
snack- almonds or cashews and dried fruit
lunch- big turkey sandwich, apple, nuts and fruit, protein bar
snack- turkey, apple and peanut butter
workout
protein powder
dinner- whatever mom makes, but i stay away from pasta, potatoes and starches like that

I know people say since im 17 i can eat whatever i want, but i have a hard time thinking that what i eat now wont affect me in the long run.
Let me know what you guys think?
Old 12-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Diet at 17

I think I might kill myself to escape the hunger pain I would be feeling on your diet. You need to increase the amount of calorie dense foods you are eating. And for the love of God, eat real bacon, the nitrates taste the same to your body. Also, read the nutrition board a lot and get a better vibe for what you consider "healthy" it varies amongst folk, but you seem to be eating a lot of processed meat.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Gregory View Post
Im 17, 6'1 and about 160 on good day.
Ive been trying to figure out the right diet to help me gain weight but muscle weight and not just flab. There are so many different methods to use like driking whole milk or different supplements, im not sure what to do.

A normal day for me is:
Breakfast- 2eggs, 4peices turkey bacon, fruit, coffee
snack- almonds or cashews and dried fruit
lunch- big turkey sandwich, apple, nuts and fruit, protein bar
snack- turkey, apple and peanut butter
workout
protein powder
dinner- whatever mom makes, but i stay away from pasta, potatoes and starches like that

I know people say since im 17 i can eat whatever i want, but i have a hard time thinking that what i eat now wont affect me in the long run.
Let me know what you guys think?
http://talktomejohnnie.com/crossfit-...ds-of-weight-2 (WFS)

Nate, please read the link above. What is your training like? The best diet alone will not cause a substantial increase in muscle mass without proper training.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Nick Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Wheeler View Post
http://talktomejohnnie.com/crossfit-...ds-of-weight-2 (WFS)

Nate, please read the link above. What is your training like? The best diet alone will not cause a substantial increase in muscle mass without proper training.
I have been doing the main site wods and working on things like deadlifts and squats on rest days or on days that involve exercises i cant do in my local gym.
Im hoping to get into our local crossfit to start getting help with olympic lifts and some training i cant do at my gym.
should i be training differently if im looking to gain some weight?
That article does help in showing how much more food i need to eat but i dont know if the GOMAD is for me and my system. Guess i will just need to make an effort to eat A LOT of good protein rich foods.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I hear you on the milk thing. Try and get some cheese in there, it is lactose free to my knowledge. Cottage cheese and hot sauce works well for me too. Natrual PB is tough to pass on. Oats are good for a carb source and 1 cup dry is 300 cals. I like doing a morning shake of 2 bananas, frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup of PB, 3-4 eggs, and 2 cups of whole milk. This is about as much milk as I can drink and not be hated by those around me.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
Benjamin Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
I have been doing the main site wods and working on things like deadlifts and squats on rest days or on days that involve exercises i cant do in my local gym.
Im hoping to get into our local crossfit to start getting help with olympic lifts and some training i cant do at my gym.
That article does help in showing how much more food i need to eat but i dont know if the GOMAD is for me and my system. Guess i will just need to make an effort to eat A LOT of good protein rich foods.
As a novice, doing any program with result in some mass gain as long as you are eating enough. How much size are we talking? If mass gain is your route, look into "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. You'll basically be doing squats, deadlifts, power cleans, shoulder press and bench press.

Why isn't Milk for you? Acne? Digestion? If you don't go the milk route, look into coconut milk. It is very calorically dense and can get the job done. You can mix some protein powder in with it and your good to go.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

6'1" and 160 pounds? Eat anything that will hold still long enough, then eat some more. Lift heavy stuff, and let testosterone do the rest.

Katherine
Old 12-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Fat... why aren't you eating it?

If you are not goin drink a bunch of milk (doesn't have to be a full gallon) then id suggest 2-3 pounds of meat a day (and not just chicken/turkey breast, ground beef, steak, pork chops, bacon(real bacon), chicken legs, wings). All the veggies you can stuff in, then make sure your getting a god amount (500-1000 calories) of starch a day (sweet potatoes, yams, rice, potatoes, yes even bread if your not gluten intolerant) try to hit the 4-6 thousand calories a day.

Also drop the main page WOD's. If you want to get big go on a pure strength training program like starting strength for the next few months. Get big then return to the cardio.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #9
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Chicoine View Post
Also drop the main page WOD's. If you want to get big go on a pure strength training program like starting strength for the next few months. Get big then return to the cardio.
I disagree, partly. I think that the main page WODs can still be effective. The gains from those go much further than only strength... for that, I would suggest adding a strength component to main site met cons. Or, really, I do think that the main site does an adequate job of prescribing strength with the met con work.

Also, good to see you gettin after this so early. I was the same age when I started. I'm not much older than you (I'm 19) and I am very glad that I found this program. There is much to learn on the boards and in the journal, if you haven't already, dive in!
Old 12-07-2010, 03:51 AM   #10
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
How strong are you? If you have never done a serious lifting program then perhaps following Starting Strength till linear progression stops (and eating double what you are now) is the ticket. After that decide where yo want to go with your training. Whatever direction you do go you will be bigger and stronger from the get go.