CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-15-2006, 08:49 AM   #1
David Mathews

Profile:
I'm trying to learn the C&J technique and was looking at the video of the three ladies doing "Grace" and they did not appear to be doing a clean and jerk.It looked more like a power clean and jerk or something. Am I offbase because I thought you needed to drop into a full squat when you clean the weight. Also, aren't you supposed to split your legs on the jerk.Thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 08:53 AM   #2

Profile:

what you'll see in a CF workout is not typically exemplary of o-lifting technique--it ends up being more akin to the two-handed anyhow.

a clean is technically a full-depth catch. a power clean is caught with the thighs above parallel to the floor.

split jerks are the most common, but again, in a CF workout where time is an issue, it's far more efficient to power/push jerk than split.

collection of weightlifting videos:
http://www.cathletics.com/resources/...on&sectionID=2

(in the clean video, you'll notice that Aimee pulls the bar pretty high and then drops into a full-depth squat--this is just the result of using a very light demo weight. in a fully loaded clean, you'll only be able to pull the bar just high enough to get under it at nearly full depth)

(Message edited by gregeverett on September 15, 2006)
Old 09-15-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
David Mathews

Profile:
Greg,
So when you do Grace do you try to maintain proper technique the whole time or as long as possible. And shouldn't I at least attempt to keep correct form throughout. I understand what your saying but if you are only comparing your own times wouldn't this be the best approach?
Old 09-15-2006, 09:19 AM   #4

Profile:

well.... herein lies a fundamental CF dilemma.

personally, I don't like the use of o-lifts in metabolic conditioning IF you ever intend to develop them very well--there's no way you can maintain ideal technique when that fatigued, so you're just neurologically ingraining poor technique (an exception might be someone who prior to CF had already developed o-lifting technique to a high degree).

if competitive or at least high-level o-lifting is not an interest of yours, then it doesn't really matter. and if that's the case, the issue in my mind becomes one of physics - work/power.

if you power clean + push jerk during grace, you're greatly reducing the ROM, and therefore the work performed. however, the reduction of the ROM means a much faster time, which MAY result in an ultimately greater power output. the numbers would have to be run for an individual performing the workout each way to know for sure.

if you're wanting to compare your times to the community and the top scorers in particular, you have to keep in mind that they're power cleaning and push-jerking--they're trying to make the movements as efficient as possible to get through it as fast as possible. if you're going to go head-to-head with the likes of Josh Everett, you better find every possible way to improve efficiency.

bottom line: perform the movements according to your own goals
Old 09-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
greg, that's a great explanation, thanks for that. i had been wondering about it too.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
David Mathews

Profile:
Greg,
Great answer, Thanks
David
Old 09-15-2006, 10:58 AM   #7
John D Wilson

Profile:
Tommy Kono clearly agrees with you Greg:

"Practice makes permanent"