CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Bill Gibson

Profile:
Steroids

I am quite new to this forum and I have not perused the 300 or so pages of topics regarding nutrition, so forgive me for potentially beating a dead horse. I do not take steroids, nor do I have any intentions of taking steroids in the future. Rather my interest in scientific and anecdotal information is for use in casual conversations and discussion. I recently saw the documentary "Bigger, Stronger, Faster":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-8MY1Gep_A

I was a bit intrigued by the some of the conclusions drawn from the film. Some of the conclusions I drew were that steroids haven't been directly related to deaths, that there is a media "witch hunt" regarding information about the usage and effect of the drug, that steroids can be used safely and effectively, that the effects for males are mostly temporary and can be reversed but the effects for women are permanent, that the majority of steroid users are gym rats and a small percentage are professional athletes, and that the public generally either does not care or endorses steroid use/performance enhancing drugs.

Are those statements, from your scientific or anecdotal experience, true or untrue? I am quite curious to read what people on this forum think regarding steroids.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Steroids

oh boy....here we go
Old 07-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Steroids" is a big group of stuff. THere are anti estrogens and testosterone mixtures, which simply adjust the amount of horomones your body has. THen you things like Dianabol that increase protien synthesis and interact with the androgen receptor sites.

I think certain anabolics used corretly have a extremly good reward vs risk ratio and it is within the capabilities of the average person to administer anabolics safely.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Professional athletes are a tiny tiny fraction of the gym-using population. There are only about 30,000 professional athletes in the entire world. There are more than 30 million people with gym memberships in the US alone. So yes, it is quite likely that steroids-using amateurs outnumber steroids-using professionals, even if the rate of use among professionals is 100%.

Beyond any sanctions imposed by their sport, professional athletes who are known or suspected steroid users seem to suffer no particular repercussions. Nor have sport-wide steroid scandals had much impact on gate receipts, merchandise sales, or other revenues associated with those sports. So no, I wouldn't say that there's much evidence that the public cares about steroid use. The public *does* care about a professional athlete's performance numbers, though.

Katherine
Old 07-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

What do you really want to know? What is the purpose of this thread?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #6
John Stone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
Are those statements, from your scientific or anecdotal experience, true or untrue? I am quite curious to read what people on this forum think regarding steroids.
A forum full of people eating organic/clean paleo, doing WODs barefoot (or in VFFs), and focusing on endurance / metcon, is probably not going to be a good source of information for steroid use.

I'm just sayin'.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stone View Post
A forum full of people eating organic/clean paleo, doing WODs barefoot (or in VFFs), and focusing on endurance / metcon, is probably not going to be a good source of information for steroid use.

I'm just sayin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"Steroids" is a big group of stuff. THere are anti estrogens and testosterone mixtures, which simply adjust the amount of horomones your body has. THen you things like Dianabol that increase protien synthesis and interact with the androgen receptor sites.

I think certain anabolics used corretly have a extremly good reward vs risk ratio and it is within the capabilities of the average person to administer anabolics safely.

Both of these about sum it up.

ibtl
Old 07-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Matthew Payne

Profile:

I think all comments are fine BUT let's hope we have someone with specific training/education /experience on this subject chime in....unless you are just looking for opinions.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Mathew,

You aren't going to get much more than opinions unless there are a bunch of people from eatern Europe on the boards. Few people will openly discuss steroid us with their real name attached to the post for fear of legal repercussions.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
Matthew Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Mathew,

You aren't going to get much more than opinions unless there are a bunch of people from eatern Europe on the boards. Few people will openly discuss steroid us with their real name attached to the post for fear of legal repercussions.
Good point Jamie......I should have thought that through before I spoke...