CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Talking Give in to the awesomeness of Wood Rings!

A few weeks ago, I was contacted by RogueFitness and within about a week there was a box at the door that held a mighty treasure inside.

Yes! A set of the new FIG sized Wood Rings. RogueFitness has for quite a few years now carried a robust set of steel rings. They've been used by many the CrossFitter and CrossFit gym besides at the 2009 Games (I should now as I hopped up on them then and at the NorcalSectional).

As for myself, I've doomed myself to working mostly as a Gymnastics Coach the past 10 years getting into Gymnastics recreationally in College and working out with various gymnasts over the years (though my dad was one sometime in the 60's and I was a really bad polevaulter in HighSchool nearly half a lifetime ago). I met CrossFit through Roger Harrell who happened to be working out at the new gym I got hired out and eventually I fell in love with Fran a year or two later (as they started their affiliate, CrossFitMarin in the gym I worked at). Since then, I've come back to a love of all types of lifting, burpees with gymnastics thrown in. Bare in mind, I never was really good at gymnastics though I do have a small humble skillset that was much better a few years back.

Over time, we all saw the new fitness rings that hit the market but I was lucky enough to be in a gym that always had Wood Gymnastics rings, generally about 3 or 4 sets (except my first gym that had 1 set of high rings that you had to Muscle-Up to get into support on). Lucky also because a set of FIG spec Gymnastics rings costs you about $160-225 without shipping. Try to have a few sets of those around! Sometimes the rings themselves cost $140 or maybe $80 for the lexan rings. That's no buckles and straps or box, either!

To note, my lil' guys and some of the college guys aren't overly fond of the Lexan rings. I find them alright but still inferior to wood and Lexan are not for competition use.

Anyways, so I tore open that box with the nearest thing I could find, a butter knife and then came the smell of freshly made wooden rings. We all know that wood smell from doing any carpentry in the garage. And that was just about exactly 2 minutes before I had to go to the gym to coach my guys. So, I brought them along with me and showed the guys. They liked the smell, heck they look any new equipment and the strongest asked if he could have them which I replied, "No" and went about setting them up (We know have 2 sets of high rings, 2 portable sets of rings and another hung from the ceiling that are of medium height to muscle-up or do inversion work on).

I continued to work with them in my own workouts in the next week typically working ring handstands on them set low and muscle-up transition drills with my guys and adults in our adult gymnastics class.

About a week later during a trip to San Diego for Regional Championships, I put them in my backpack and swung by CFSD and took them. Oohs and Aaahs. Some thought I had made them but I noted they were made by CNC machine and Rogue Fitness. Yes, I watched them carefully.

Lastly, I took them to the affiliate I drop in to harass my friend at(as he is the owner/operator) and show them. He is about 6', around 200, placing very well the past 2 years in the Norcal Sectional (generally 50th?). My hands are about 7.5" inches from wrist to middle finger and his are an extra knuckle longer than mine. [I'm going to leave them hear for a bit and see which set of rings people gravitate towards. Guess which ones, I figure?]

To note, I was on a set of one of the first commercial fitness rings recently (non-gymnastic use rings) and found the false grip a bit uncomfortable. My friend, being 6' with hands a knuckle bigger found the regulation sized to allow his hand to fit better. Now, I'm sure if you are a really big guy or happen to be able to palm a basketball or baseball or softball all the way around, you might want the extra size. Otherwise, you'll like the 1.1". As well for us, gymnasts, we like the FIG size. I can use the big rings but to maintain a false grip for smaller hands can be difficult.

Besides, the wood rings:
~Don't really need chalk, but I use chalk cuz' I do. However, most of us don't keep chalk with us.
~I've heard tape on many other fitness rings rips the wrists up more than not having to tape them up. Rip as in bloody messes.
~Feel better than just about anything else. There is only one texture of fitness rings made of composites that I like and find I can use without chalk. Most people I hear end up just using athletic tape.

As well, the Rogue Fitness buckles and straps are more robust than anything out there. [Didn't I hear you guys at Rogue Fitness used them to pull a trailer hitch or something like that. Like a test strength around 3500lbs (the steel ones)].

One consideration for the use of Steel rings is outside use. Same with the composites. However, the wood rings don't get cold or hot, which is very nice when you use them outside (off Football and Soccer Field Goals). However, wood probably would not be too friendly with rain.

Time to go to the gym!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:
Re: Give in to the awesomeness of Wood Rings!

imma hafta get me some...bought my affiliate package from rogue and was very happy with everything except the steel rings. the steel rings would be great for bludgeoning a cow to death for tonight's steak, but otherwise i don't care for them. they are heavy and dangerous.

very happy to know that they are selling the FIG wood rings, i'm gonna re-up as soon as I can afford it.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
the steel rings would be great for bludgeoning a cow to death for tonight's steak, but otherwise i don't care for them. they are heavy and dangerous.
Basically my thoughts for a long time.

If a set of steel or metal rings or set low, they aren't as much of a danger when you hop off. If they are set at a medium height around head height, they can be if the rings go swinging.

If they are set up high enough so you have to reach or jump up to them, they aren't much of a danger either.

I should have changed the title to " Behold the glory of the Rogue Wood Rings ". Yes, Jetfire is my hero.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Sean Kufel

Profile:

I have only used the wooden rings once (during a visit to Rogue Columbus a few weeks back), but they were, indeed, glorious. I absolutely loved the feel and the grip. My Elite rings are doing just fine for now (with the grips sanded just a little--makes a world of difference), but my next set of rings will absolutely be the Rogue wood rings.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Finally got around to posting eh?!

Yeah those rings were indeed MAGNIFICENT. If they are now being offered then I will now be ordering my first set! Thanks for bringing them by the place.

Less surfing next time...
Old 05-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
Less surfing next time...
Sacrilege! That was my first time out there and there wasn't much that was gonna stop me. One hour wasn't enough! I do wish I hadn't bothered with Little Italy earlier and went straight out to Mission Beach as that woulda saved me time.

The Rogue Wood FIG sized rings are on Rogue's page. I generally have to use the search function to find them on their page.

http://www.roguefitness.com/store/rogue_woodrings.php wfs

I will have to think of more excuses to go down to San Diego to surf and drop in as summer gets along. Boys you can come on Tuesday instead of Monday because I'm gonna hit the waves on Monday- I won't miss you!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #7
Steve Cole

Profile:

I can't speak to other kinds of rings because I've only used wood. (Not counting my first pair of home-made ones, which I made from PVC). I got my wood ones from my daughter's gymnastics coach--traded a six pack for them. They're sewn into the straps, which are about 3 feet long and have metal triangles at the other end. I hook them with an oval clamp kind of thing to the loop in the end of a pair of cables, which I bought at Lowe's. For about a year, I suspended the cables from a tree out in the yard, but now I have them in my garage, suspended from a bar in the attic (I cut a hole in the garage ceiling just so I can do my muscle-ups there).

Anyway--you're right that rain is not friendly to them. If they get wet too much, they'll start getting rough, and you'll need to sand them down with fine grit. You'll also need to rub some wood oil into them from time to time. I think it's best to avoid leaving them outside at all. They do get slippery when sweaty, so I keep a rag handy and some chalk.

And yes they are dangerous when left at head height. I got a black eye last week when I was adjusting one ring and the other swung over and caught me just above the eye. Ouch! I love the way the feel, but as I said, I am completely unfamiliar with other kinds of rings.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
James Rios

Profile:

yeah. my old plastic pair is starting to making cracking noises and is developing a seam near the top.
this scares me greatly.
interestingly enough i tried a pair when i was at CFSD for my level 1 cert in jan. the second i tried getting a false grip and it was virtually effortless i knew i needed a pair.
should be buying them within a week or 2
Old 05-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
Geordon Portice

Profile:

Doh! I just ordered a set of EXF Rings as my first set of rings.

Last edited by Geordon Portice : 05-16-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Kristofer Shamloo

Profile:

Whats a FIG ring vs. a regular ring?