CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 02-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
JR Saunders

Profile:
about to buy a heavy bag...?'s

so i'm about to purchase a 75lb bag for my house along w/a focus bag w/a stand..

i'm doing mma right now at a gym around my area, but I was curious about is how do you hang the 75lb bag the right way? and is there a way to brace the bottom so when you are hitting w/force or trying to a mma type of wod that involves the bag it stays in the same spot...or does that defeat the whole purpose?

the focus bag I could see the purpose of moving around constantly, but the heavy bag don't you want it to stay in one spot so you could get your shots in ect..

what do you all think?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Nick Delgadillo

Profile:
Re: about to buy a heavy bag...?'s

Here are a few options from ringside for hanging the bag. http://www.ringside.com/Hangers/products/1246/ (wfs) They should all work ok, but I'd stay away from the cheaper ones.

If you want to anchor your bag, ringside and other companies make a sandbag weight that you can rig your bag to. If you can drill into your floor, you can use something like this. (wfs)

As far as a moving bag or non moving heavy bag, It's just a matter of preference. If the bag moves, you have to move. If you anchor it, you can be a little lazier, but maybe you can focus on hitting harder. A moving bag helps you with timing, footwork and range better than just the giant target that a stationary bag would be. If you just want something to hit, anchor it.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
JR Saunders

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
Here are a few options from ringside for hanging the bag. http://www.ringside.com/Hangers/products/1246/ (wfs) They should all work ok, but I'd stay away from the cheaper ones.

If you want to anchor your bag, ringside and other companies make a sandbag weight that you can rig your bag to. If you can drill into your floor, you can use something like this. (wfs)

As far as a moving bag or non moving heavy bag, It's just a matter of preference. If the bag moves, you have to move. If you anchor it, you can be a little lazier, but maybe you can focus on hitting harder. A moving bag helps you with timing, footwork and range better than just the giant target that a stationary bag would be. If you just want something to hit, anchor it.

Hope this helps.
cool man, thanks for the help : )
Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Tony Black

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post

A major flaw with heavy bags is the fact they dont move like a human - hence most of the timing and footwork learnt on a heavy bag only applies on a heavy bag... A human is fixed at the bottom and flexs at the top when you strike them - a bag is fixed at the top and moves from the bottom.

Also id argue your 75lb bag is gonna swing around ALOT soon as your hitting hard. Hence id go with fixing it at the bottom or buying a 5-6foot tall bag and allowing its base to be in contact with the floor.

Last edited by Tony Black : 02-17-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

A 75lb bag is sort of light, you will be knocking the stuffing out of it in no time. You should try the Hydrocore 120 Lb Heavy Bag, the weight can be adjusted as you become a stronger hitter. Its also cheaper on shipping because of its weight empty
Old 02-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
Tony Black

Profile:

Rubber mulch is apparently a great cheap readily available filler - havent tried it myself.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
JR Saunders

Profile:

nice, thanks for the responses...appreciate that
Old 02-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Trevor Shaw

Profile:

Yeah Fairtex recommends filling their bags with rubber mulch for proper density and shin conditioning.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
Tony Black

Profile:

Another consideration often overlooked is noise factor!

Those babies are LOUD!

Indoors for most homes its not practical.....

Even in the backyard/garages its possible to get noise complaints......
Old 02-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
Pete Nadeau

Profile:

I've never had complaints yet, my set up is in my garage but I try to be considerate of my neighbors when doing my speed bag and heavy bag work