CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-05-2005, 11:19 AM   #1
Joe Miller

Profile:
I know this is another question that has been asked on a million threads, but again I couldn't really find an answer to my exact issue.

I'm new to squatting. [:blush:I know, I know... I was always told it would ruin my knees!:blush:] I've got several problems with form that I can't seem to figure out. I've read everything I know (including the excellent "Squat Clinic" crossfit journal, and Dan John's Sqatting Powerpoint slides), so I thought I'd just go ahead and ask for advice.

First, I feel like my squats are about 90% quads, with minimal glut and ham involvement. I know this is very wrong, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong to create this problem. I'm definitely "sitting" between my legs, with minimal or no shin movement, and I'm keeping my weight on my heels throughout the movement (in fact I think I focus too much on this as I have a tendancy to lose my balance and almost fall backwards). Any ideas?

The second issue I fear is flexibility but I wonder if it could be related. That is the fact that I find it impossible to maintain an arch in my back as I drop my thighs below parallel. I can maintain an arch down to about parallel, but no matter how strictly I focus on form my back begins to round at this point and becomes very round as I drop "ass to grass." The only way for me to maintain an arch in my back as I drop to the floor is to raise up onto my toes.

I realize this is wrong, the question is what should I do to fix it? I have been trying to do a lot of work on pike stretches and the like to limber up my hams, but I'm not even 100% sure that's the problem, and I don't really feel like this has been generating a lot of progress.

For the record I have only been doing BW (or sometimes VERY lightweight) squats, as I fear injury trying to do anything heavy until I can get these issues with form resolved. I've also only been going down to about parallel (just above really), since my back rounds as I drop further. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do to develop a full ROM squat with good form.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
Ben Krey

Profile:

Like most adults, you lack hip flexibility and range of motion. An idea that seemed to help me is to force yourself into the bottom position (in a bodyweight squat), on the front of your heels with a forward arch in the low back... Have a dumbell or kettlebell right in front of you that you can pick up to force you farther into the squat. <repeat>

Front squats and even back squats, done with good form will actually help you to increase this flexibility faster. Stop squats are also good. Don't be afraid of a little weight, just take it slow and be consistent.

-Ben
Old 09-05-2005, 12:14 PM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Keep reading and trying everything. Then do lots of squats and go back and re read everything again every week or two. After a few months you should be in good shape. You have to overcome a lifetime of not-squatting. It's just going to take a lot reps before it seems natural to your body.

Do the crossfit warmup everyday.

Also try to do lots of overhead squats with a pvc pipe/broomstick. They will help your posture a lot.

I say go through the old WOD archives and pull lots of different squat based workouts. Add them in on your rest days. Or sub them when you don't feel like doing the WOD.

Mix it up with thrusters and wallball too.

Tabata to death.

Post a vid of yourself on the clinic section. Check back in a couple of months and see how you've progressed.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
Ben Krey

Profile:

Allow a 2 yr old in diapers with chocolate on her face to demonstrate.

She refused to wear a shirt. Whaddayado?

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/13729.jpg
Old 09-05-2005, 05:49 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Awwww, too cute!:happy:
Old 09-06-2005, 07:27 AM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Awhk! My eyes!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Seriously, when the curve in the low back goes away that's a pretty clear sign that the lifter just ran out of hip flexibility, specifically the hamstrings. The hamstrings are attached to the pelvis and when they come to a full stretch they start pulling on the pelvis. That takes the curve right out of the low back.

http://www.fitstep.com/Advanced/Anat...gs-anatomy.jpg

There's little point in going ***-to-grass in the squat if the low back rounds off well before the lifter reaches bottom. I believe one should squat only as low as their flexibility allows. If that's only to parallel, that's okay for now.

I'm not sure a straight leg hamstring stretch is the right approach, since the problem is the hamstrings in the knee flexed position. I'd suggest a lot of overhead squats, stopping the descent right before the low back starts to round off.

As for the glutes not firing in the low squat position, it could be that they are simply inhibited. For practice, squat With a light weight, squeezing the butt cheeks together before begining the ascent. This should help teach the glutes to fire.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:58 AM   #7
Albert Clayton

Profile:
I would also add hold the bottom position for a second or two before going back up. Try it with just the bar. Do twenty reps with the bar and if it feels good next workout add 5lbs. I think in the Dan John powerpoint on squats he says it best. If your glutes and hams are sore and not your back then you are doing it right.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:11 AM   #8
Michael Hill

Profile:

Personally, I found that doing practicing a LOT of OH squats with very light weight did wonders for both my back squats and front squats, esp when it came to keeping the curve in the back. Basically, it was the active stretching of the OH squat which changed everything.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:11 AM   #9
Michael Hill

Profile:

Personally, I found that practicing a LOT of OH squats with very light weight did wonders for both my back squats and front squats, esp when it came to keeping the curve in the back. Basically, it was the active stretching of the OH squat which changed everything.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #10
Mark Beck

Profile:
I found I greatly increased my ROM in bodyweight squats by holding the bottom position for at least a minute or so while holding onto a fixed object above me just enough to maintain the proper curve in the back. (This drill is described in the squat clinic journal and a bar held in a squat stand at the appropriate height above your head is recommended). At first this meant holding on pretty hard, but with practice I needed only a light and then intermittant hold. I've still got plenty of room for improvement but have made significant progress.